Safety Equipment.

penberth3

Visit site
.......I am confused too: Why would they use glue and welding? Another blurb I've read is that they are "hand-stitched"
"Every stitched seam is then sealed with a thermo-welded ribbon for watertightness" :rolleyes:

There must be an explanation but as far as I am concerned it is irrelevant: I have a safe life raft. (When I travel by air I never question the air worthiness of the aircraft: I just hope people have done their job) ?

OK, so the highlighted bit is saying the seam is stitched and taped, not "welded and glued" - which I don't think is even possible

coopec

N/A
Visit site
OK, so the highlighted bit is saying the seam is stitched and taped, not "welded and glued" - which I don't think is even possible

Maybe my life raft is
"Every stitched glued seam is then sealed with a thermo-welded ribbon for watertightness"

But of course I'm only guessing.

The important thing as far as I'm concerned is that an expert has deemed my life raft is in good condition and safe. If I was offered a joy flight on a steel/cloth/spruce/glue air worthy Tiger Moth I'd jump at the chance!?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Maybe my life raft is
"Every stitched glued seam is then sealed with a thermo-welded ribbon for watertightness"

The important thing as far as I'm concerned is that an expert has deemed my life raft is in good condition and safe. told me what i wanted to hear.

Fixed that for you (y)

geem

Visit site
I can understand what you are saying but who am I to argue with people who service life rafts for a living? I let him know I can afford to buy a new raft but he said the one I have is in "good condition" and safe.

I am confused too: Why would they use glue and welding? Another blurb I've read is that they are "hand-stitched"
"Every stitched seam is then sealed with a thermo-welded ribbon for watertightness" :rolleyes:

There must be an explanation but as far as I am concerned it is irrelevant: I have a safe life raft. (When I travel by air I never question the air worthiness of the aircraft: I just hope people have done their job) ?
Are you using a certified Plastimo service centre? I couldn’t find the one you are using listed on Plastimo’s website

penberth3

Visit site
Maybe my life raft is

The important thing as far as I'm concerned is that an expert has deemed my life raft is in good condition and safe. If I was offered a joy flight on a steel/cloth/spruce/glue air worthy Tiger Moth I'd jump at the chance!?

Yes you are guessing. Wouldn't welding over a glued seam damage the adhesive?

I'll say it again, you've got a raft at the end of it's service life. I don't know why you're wasting so much time on it.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Yes you are guessing. Wouldn't welding over a glued seam damage the adhesive?

I'll say it again, you've got a raft at the end of it's service life. I don't know why you're wasting so much time on it.

I believe the experts here in Perth because they have inspected my life raft and they say it is in good condition. To be quite frank I am not interested in your opinion :rolleyes:

pvb

Visit site
Have you had a quote for service and certification? I was quoted €900 for a service due to the age. Alternatively €1400 for a new old felt like good value. Serving new rafts is less expensive as well

Yes, older rafts tend to cost more to service. Additionally, Plastimo specify an annual service requirement for liferafts used in Australia.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Have you had a quote for service and certification? I was quoted €900 for a service due to the age. Alternatively €1400 for a new old felt like good value. Serving new rafts is less expensive as well

I am bewildered!

I haven't had a quote from West Offshore but if I had to pay $A1500 for a service the life raft would not be a proposition. (I have been working on a fraction of that)

"Since life rafts contain many degradable components and to ensure everything is in working order, the following minimum service schedule is recommended:

* First service – within 3 years
* Second service – within 3 years of first service
* Third service – within 3 years of second service
* Fourth and subsequent service intervals – not exceeding one year

Service fees are based on the raft model, capacity and equipment pack. Typical servicing charges of a four- or six-person life raft are around $280 to $300, excluding expired components, parts and cylinder recharge/test when required"

Life Rafts - MySailing.com.au

As has been pointed out on another thread 3 year services can be expensive.
Any component which will expire within 3 years will have to be replaced even though it may have 2 years of life left.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Yes, older rafts tend to cost more to service. Additionally, Plastimo specify an annual service requirement for liferafts used in Australia.

Why single out Plastimo? :rolleyes:

Screenshot_2020-12-04 liferaft-2014 pdf.png

"In the U.S., there is no inspection requirement for liferafts on recreational boats. Inspection guidelines are set by the manufacturer. In Europe and other parts of the world, rafts for recreational boats that sail offshore are supposed to meet ISO Standard 9650-1. This standard allows for an inspection interval of up to three years, but manufacturers often specify shorter intervals, especially for boats that spend most of their time in the tropics. For some rafts, the three-year interval only applies to the first three years after purchase. After that, annual inspections are the norm".

Know Your Life Raft Inspection Requirements - Practical Sailor

Screenshot_2020-12-04 VIKING UKL UKSL UKCL SERVICE INTERVAL (3) pdf.png

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Why single out Plastimo? :rolleyes:

Because the thread is about a Plastimo liferaft ?

If someone said "Joe Acme liferafts specify an annual service requirement for liferafts used in Australia. " You would be shouting that it was irrelevant, because you have a Plastimo liferaft.

• Haha
Reactions: pvb

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Because the thread is about a Plastimo liferaft ?

If someone said "Joe Acme liferafts specify an annual service requirement for liferafts used in Australia. " You would be shouting that it was irrelevant, because you have a Plastimo liferaft.

Many life raft manufacturers specify annual service when used in tropical climes and that includes my Plastimo. (I don't have a problem with that)

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I thought an email to Plastimo might shed some genuine light on the matter. Coopec keeps telling us how his raft must be OK because the experts at his local liferaft service centre have said his raft is in good condition and as they are experts he'll take their advice. So, logic might suggest that even better, more reliable advice might be that from the manufacturer, no ?

Here's what was said:

I asked for some information about the raft and they replied with:

We thank you very much for your email
Could you please give us the serial number of this raft?

Yes, it is 12315 X0085 can you tell me how old it is please and what is the life expectancy of these older rafts ?

Yes of course please excuse me

This liferaft has been manufactured on August 1999 so it is 21 years old

Thanks, but how long do these usually last? Would you recommend it be replaced, or is it ok to keep having it serviced ?

Given his old age we recommend to purchase a new liferaft in order to sail with peace of mind
The liferaft that we manufacture a 18-year warranty, we have innovated on the technology of our liferafts that are totally hand-stitched, double chamber, double action firing head, sealed protective envelope
Sealing strips and ballast pockets are now heat-glued

You will find more information on our website Home page | Plastimo, happy boating to you

Do not hesitate if you need further information,
Best regards

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
Interesting extra information. Naturally they'd recommend buying a new one, but it's sensible to bear in mind that current liferafts are being built with better materials and techniques than those built last century, and have a warranty which reflects those improvements.

penberth3

Visit site
I thought an email to Plastimo might shed some genuine light on the matter. Coopec keeps telling us how his raft must be OK because the experts at his local liferaft service centre have said his raft is in good condition and as they are experts he'll take their advice. So, logic might suggest that even better, more reliable advice might be that from the manufacturer, no ?

Here's what was said:

I asked for some information about the raft and they replied with:

We thank you very much for your email
Could you please give us the serial number of this raft?

Yes, it is 12315 X0085 can you tell me how old it is please and what is the life expectancy of these older rafts ?

Yes of course please excuse me

This liferaft has been manufactured on August 1999 so it is 21 years old

Thanks, but how long do these usually last? Would you recommend it be replaced, or is it ok to keep having it serviced ?

Given his old age we recommend to purchase a new liferaft in order to sail with peace of mind
The liferaft that we manufacture a 18-year warranty, we have innovated on the technology of our liferafts that are totally hand-stitched, double chamber, double action firing head, sealed protective envelope
Sealing strips and ballast pockets are now heat-glued

You will find more information on our website Home page | Plastimo, happy boating to you

Do not hesitate if you need further information,
Best regards

Interesting, Paul. I owe "coopec" an apology. I somehow thought this raft was 20 years old, it's actually 21 years old.

My advice to scrap it still stands, and the manufacturers are saying the same.

dunedin

Visit site
OK Paul you know more about life rafts than people making a living out of servicing life rafts :rolleyes:

Geeez! Why do you bother? ? (Is there anything you don't know?)

Why do you come on a forum supposedly seeking assistance / advice and then criticise anybody who offers advice that you don’t agree with?