Port Solent.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Does anybody live in, or use Port Solent? I know it's a long way from the sea and has a lock, which looks simple to use with the pontoons, but are there any other pros and cons? Also, is there a yacht club you'd want to use? Thanks in advance for any advice.

vertford

Visit site
I have done a trip from Port Solent on a private yacht and it struck me as quite a large, well set up place. The skipper kept the yacht on one of berths linked to the houses as they reckoned it was a bit quieter than a berth in the main marina bit. The locking in/out seemed easy enough although when we came back there was a slight back log as all the Sunsail vessels were coming in at the same time as this is their main base.

Don't remember the trip down to the sea being particularly long/ardous/tedious. Bit of squeeze thru' the bit infront of the Spinnaker Tower.

Regards
Richard

Pinnacle

Visit site
Does anybody live in, or use Port Solent? I know it's a long way from the sea and has a lock, which looks simple to use with the pontoons, but are there any other pros and cons? Also, is there a yacht club you'd want to use? Thanks in advance for any advice.

There are quite a few Forumites who berth there. One or more of them will be along in a minute....:)

chippysmith

www.activedesign.org.uk
Waiting Pontoon

Sailed up from our mooring near Hardway, needed antifoul so thought we would look in the chandlery there. We didn't go in, just berthed alongside the very quiet waiting pontoon and walked, only there for 30 minutes, They charged us £9.00 for the pleasure!

AIDY

www.ybw.com
port solent is okay ish... suffer's from sunsail yachts, Q's for the lock at peak period and road noise from the motorway being a constant drown. about 30-40 mins to pompey entrance.

major problem is marinesuperstore on site.... you're spend too much money in their !

VicS

Visit site
Access to and from the sea is not that bad.

Living aboard is not permitted.

See website http://www.premiermarinas.com/pages/portsolent_marina

there is a YC but as far as I know they do not have a club house

loadsa restaurants and shops

Been there once.. not hurrying back>

A certain yacht charter company is based there. When we visited their crews were partying late into the night in a club room/bar overlooking the access to the pontoon we were on. Throwing missiles at people accessing the pontoon.
Shouting (4 letter words etc) into the small hours.

fastjedi

Visit site
Top class washroom facilities. The final set at the resturant end are being refurbished for the new season.

Electricity at cost

Staff are excellent

Lift outs are very expensive ... but plenty of room ashore

Had no problems locking in / out

Berths do not lie into the prevailing wind .... can be tricky getting in and out

seanfoster

Visit site
Have you been there to have a look around?

Functional, but as said before, virtually on the motorway so not exactly peaceful. Also looks a bit like a housing estate (albeit a nice one!)
Got a variety of chain restaurants and bars, probably good value but not much atmosphere.

Prices are virtually the same for the other marinas within Portsmouth Harbour, might be worth looking at the others first!

Nico

Visit site
There was a similar discussion about this some time back. One of the posters had been involved with the construction of the flats and the lock and was very positive about them. I regularly sail from Port Solent on Sunsail boats and find it convenient but the noise of the motorway would annoy me if I lived there, and the restaurant arcade too. Otherwise o.k. depending on your taste.

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
Just

Think Marmite.....

It is what it is, a large very well serviced marina 30 - 40 mins from the sea proper (ok solent). very well run and plenty to do if you dont want to head out.

Just dont buy the property that had the carpet murder.....

Blueboatman

Visit site
Murderous noise

Thought that 'murder' was only in the fiction of Portsmouth crime writer Graham Hurley ( who also made quite a good documentary on the Titianic, I believe).
If I had to live next to the M27 day and night I might consider murder too !

Port Solent strikes me, personally, as a bit of a goldfish bowl, and motoring 45 minutes to the sea is not for me. Previous owner of this boat tried it there for a while, travellift was regularly out of action, lock delays etc. Nice view of Portchester Castle though. Each to their own

gregmlucas

www.datacentricity.net
We live and berth at Port Solent

We live there at the moment (renting), in one of the apartments that face out west to Portchester Castle so nice views, ever changing scenery and motorway noise is there but not intrusive. No berth with those apartments tho'.

We lived there for 18 months about four years ago (also renting), we liked it so much we've gone back for a second go and once we find the right apartment, will buy there.

Some of the closed down restaurants have now re-opened (different owners etc) although in our opinion, the ones that closed down were never that good anyway. We're not talking haute cuisine here but can highly recommend Zizzi (italian), Dragon Marina (chinese) and especially Rhimjim (sp) the new indian (not to be confused with the Indian Palace which we most definitely do not recommend).

As we live there there, it makes sense for us to keep the boat there. Yes it is 45 minutes to the mouth of Portsmouth harbour but the next closest alternative berth for us would be Gosport - which is a 30 minute drive - and I'd much rather spend that time on the water.

We haven't had the boat long but have so far found the staff in the marina and at marinesuperstore to be professional and helpful. I once even managed to spend less than £20 in the chandlers :)

This year will be our first summer berthing here so I can't comment on Sunsail noise but as we live there anyway (and on the other side from the marina) I'n not sure it will affect us anyway - it certainly didn't before. As for queues to lock out/in, we'll have to wait and see. However, the channel outside must be due for dredging again soon as the other weekend (LW sp 0.8m) three of the Sunsail 37 footers (which must draw about six feet) all got stuck in the middle of the channel just outside the lock. So if your boat is deep draught, you might want to enquire about this before committing to an annual berth.

I'm not sure I would buy a house here though, I think there is a huge premium for the location and convenience of having the boat just outside the kitchen window - but that depends on how you judge price and value. Just a thought, some of the houses have remote berths - if you look at one of these make sure they have both electric and water as not all have water nearby.

Hope this helps

Greg

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Thanks Greg ... useful thoughts. I'd probably buy if anything ... I've been down for a look and already decided that whatever I buy needs to be facing South-ish, to both get the sun and have the terrace, main rooms and balcony facing away from the M27. Best roads seem to be Newlyn Way and Bryher Island, both with some of their houses facing South. The further we got, away from the M-way, the sound diminished .. this on Saturday morning so probably not as busy as a weekday .. after an hour though we forgot about it. I lived near a railway line once ... same thing but I think I'll still look for South facing and double glazing! Boat only draws 4ft so should be ok .. I can't imagine Sunsail would work from there without it being dredged soon.

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
I think most of the potential problems have been aired. The surroundings of PS itself are OK but bear in mind that it's close to one or two of the rather less salubrious areas of Pompey; I wouldn't wander far from the environs of the Marina, personally.

Handy for when you run out of smack, mind you :)

AIDY

www.ybw.com
I guess you know about ford property managment if your looking at houses in P/S. if you don't get one with a berth you can get a sublet mooring through ford for half the marina price if you are less than i think 36 foot.

AIDY

www.ybw.com
I think most of the potential problems have been aired. The surroundings of PS itself are OK but bear in mind that it's close to one or two of the rather less salubrious areas of Pompey; I wouldn't wander far from the environs of the Marina, personally.

Handy for when you run out of smack, mind you :)

:D