Older Raymarine Chartplotters

pawl

Visit site
Hi, I'm hoping for some useful advice. I'm looking to buy a secondhand chart plotter. I'm thinking along the lines of a Raymarine C120 or E120. I know these will probably only take the obsolete C-Map charts but I can live with that. I really only use the plotter to verify that I'm where I think I am. I have been using a Raymarine SL70RC for the last 15 years and have been happy with that. I could now do with a bigger screen. I don't need the radar or on screen ais info and I don't want a touch screen.

Does anyone have thoughts about this or any advice about these models. I have also seen a Raychart RC630, but can't find much info on it.
I've only had experience of the Raymarine products, which have all been good, however, I'm open to suggestions regarding other makes.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hi, I'm hoping for some useful advice. I'm looking to buy a secondhand chart plotter. I'm thinking along the lines of a Raymarine C120 or E120. I know these will probably only take the obsolete C-Map charts but I can live with that. I really only use the plotter to verify that I'm where I think I am. I have been using a Raymarine SL70RC for the last 15 years and have been happy with that. I could now do with a bigger screen. I don't need the radar or on screen ais info and I don't want a touch screen.

Does anyone have thoughts about this or any advice about these models. I have also seen a Raychart RC630, but can't find much info on it.
I've only had experience of the Raymarine products, which have all been good, however, I'm open to suggestions regarding other makes.
Noah fitted a secondhand Raychart RC630 on the ark, it's prehistoric.

C120/E120 are at the very least 15 years old, virtually obsolete and hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

Where do you plan to fit the plotter, at the helm or at the chart table ?

[2574]

Visit site
If your use is simply to verify position then think about using Navionics (or others) on a tablet of some sort, buy two so you’ve backup. I use Admiralty charts on the MemoryMap app which works well. Also have OS mapping and Antares Charts on the same app. Very cost effective.

johnalison

Visit site
My experience is that a small screen with a rapid refresh rate is easier to use than a slower large screen. I had an SL70 B&W set and changing to an e7 was a bit like having a much larger screen, as you could zoom in and out more or less instantly, as well as scroll across. I think you will find any modern small screen a much better buy.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
If your use is simply to verify position then think about using Navionics (or others) on a tablet of some sort, buy two so you’ve backup. I use Admiralty charts on the MemoryMap app which works well. Also have OS mapping and Antares Charts on the same app. Very cost effective.
This is why i asked where it was going to be fitted. If it's down below there are lots of options that cost less than a 15-20 year old plotter and can have bigger screens, better resolution etc.

For instance, as well as Garmin plotters on the flybridge, so they work in the wet or bright Sunlight, I have a pair of 10.4" tablets, cost £120 each, at the lower helm.

If the OP wants big. we have a 40" smart TV in the saloon, connected to a laptop. The laptop has a USB GPS and runs OpenCPN (amongst all the other usual laptop stuff). The TV was about £200 new, add a second-hand laptop and some VMH charts and the whole lot costs less than an old C120 costs on Ebay.

pawl

Visit site
Noah fitted a secondhand Raychart RC630 on the ark, it's prehistoric.

C120/E120 are at the very least 15 years old, virtually obsolete and hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

Where do you plan to fit the plotter, at the helm or at the chart table ?
hi, the boat doesn't really have a chart table but the unit would be inside in the saloon next to the helm position. I can't really agree that "old" = "obsolete", just my view.

pawl

Visit site
hi, I don't really want to use a tablet which I assume would be "touch screen", I really have a problem with those. In any case I have some chartplotting capability on my laptop which I could use.

pawl

Visit site
My experience is that a small screen with a rapid refresh rate is easier to use than a slower large screen. I had an SL70 B&W set and changing to an e7 was a bit like having a much larger screen, as you could zoom in and out more or less instantly, as well as scroll across. I think you will find any modern small screen a much better buy.
hi, thanks for your response, I have tried a Raymarine A50d but I wasn't able to get on with the small screen, just getting old I suppose.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
hi, the boat doesn't really have a chart table but the unit would be inside in the saloon next to the helm position. I can't really agree that "old" = "obsolete", just my view.
At 15-20 years old, with zero support, how can it be anything but obsolete ?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
hi, I don't really want to use a tablet which I assume would be "touch screen", I really have a problem with those. In any case I have some chartplotting capability on my laptop which I could use.
If you have a suitable laptop, install OpenCPN and get up to date charts from Visit My Harbour. A massive step up from those olde Raymarine plotters, for less money.

oldgit

Visit site
Chum bought a used Garmin 4010 last year and we added a depth module, worked perfectly until a week or two ago.
Goodbye £300.00 quid.
We cannot find anybody who actively will even look at "legacy" Garmin chartplotters.
It has gone off to a company who normally repair SatNavs and do not hold out much hope.
If you do buy any "legacy" chartplotter, buy on the assumption that if it fails the day after, you will be throwing it away.
Would stick with your existing kit and hope it continues to give good service but would be buying something like below today and using as main chartplotter, with your old kit as reassuring backup.
Samsung SM T395 Rugged Chartplotter Tablet : by VisitMyHarbour [Turn Key Android chartplotters] - VisitMyHarbour articles
Have some fairly modern kit on my boat but use something similar to above with Navionics as main navigation aid.
Have found Ipads far too fragile for the job, in the real world, screens crack, they can over heat and battery life on extended cruises is rubbish even when supplied with constant 12v.

Last edited:

doug748

Visit site
I have a mono RC435 plotter which still works fine, must be 25 years old. The only problem is the back up battery is dud so it always restarts in the USA and does not hold any settings. Not a huge problem for a back up set.
The battery is secured to the board in fine style so not easy to replace.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site

I have used and nursed old plotters and eventually it becomes an issue for safety and enjoyment.

My own view is that once you have squeezed the maximum life out of something, buy new and up to date and repeat the process. The cost at first seams excessive but over the years it is really very little.

I want plug and play and use Raymarine. For back up, I use both laptop and iPad. The latter you don’t want because it has a touch screen. The laptop has Memory Maps and UK Hydrographic Office charts installed. This would be a great solution for you.

Laptops can be very low cost, Memory Map App is free, and in App purchase of charts packages are very low cost, about £25. You can use the same App and charts on another device so have back up.

Good luck with your decision.