Older Raymarine Chartplotters

Refueler

Visit site
Very true, but the E120 on our boat was fitted when new and is from 2008.

With an updated Gold card-we did not need all the extras the Platinum gave-it more than meets our requirements. Big screen, easy to operate, splits for radar and plotter.

A friend with the same model of boat has a very new one, with all the bells and whistles.

He spends most of his alongside or on the hook time pissing about with it and trying to get me to update.

His offers little we need-or, more importantly, want.

The money he spent on it would of been better spent elsewhere on the boat.

IMHO, of course.

I have same feeling about the Garmin fitted to my 38 ... takes up more time farting around with it - especially when it comes to updating !!

pawl

Visit site
Absolutely nothing wrong with older Raymarine plotters. The 120 series are quite adequate for general use and usually come with Navionics for home waters installed. The only drawback is that the charts will undoubtedly be out of date so don't rely on the charts too much but they will still give you accurate positional GPS and used intelligently are a good bit of kit that can be bought second hand for a budget price. I personally don't like touch screen stuff. Operating in a small boat in any sort of choppy conditions is a nightmare. Old fashioned knobs are very much more user friendly IMHO. The built in GPS usually makes installation easy and AIS can be imported easily too. Screens are quite good resolution and bright enough to be read in an open cockpit and I disagree about larger screens being "slow." Unless you are belting around at 25knots the refresh rate is quite adequate. If you want a good bit of kit at a budget don't be put off. They are old now but so am I and I still work well!
hi, thanks for the response, I think that this is more in line with my thinking. For some reason I can't use touch screens, even car parks are becoming a bit of a problem nowadays. What I need is a simple, good sized, clear display that I can take in at a glance. I don't want ais on the chart plotter as I prefer to have a separate screen for it. I don't think that I really need any backups, tablet or otherwise, as I much prefer to use paper charts and use the chart plotter as the backup. After all, I managed to find my way around the Channel, N. France, W. Country and Channel Islands without a problem before we even had GPS. It's unlikely now that I'll be going anywhere that I haven't been several times before, so I'm really only using the chart plotter as a sort of "comfort blanket". What I would like to know is what the difference is between the Raymarine C and E series is. Also can anyone recommend an alternative make that I could consider.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
hi, thanks for the response, I think that this is more in line with my thinking. For some reason I can't use touch screens, even car parks are becoming a bit of a problem nowadays. What I need is a simple, good sized, clear display that I can take in at a glance. I don't want ais on the chart plotter as I prefer to have a separate screen for it. I don't think that I really need any backups, tablet or otherwise, as I much prefer to use paper charts and use the chart plotter as the backup. After all, I managed to find my way around the Channel, N. France, W. Country and Channel Islands without a problem before we even had GPS. It's unlikely now that I'll be going anywhere that I haven't been several times before, so I'm really only using the chart plotter as a sort of "comfort blanket". What I would like to know is what the difference is between the Raymarine C and E series is. Also can anyone recommend an alternative make that I could consider.
Basic difference between C and E is that the E can be networked, the C cannot. The E can be used stand alone, of course.

Have to say, you are missing out by not overlaying the AIS on the plotter, It shows you exactly where on the chart the targets are, as well as a lot of other information at your finger tips. If you can display AIS on a separate display it should be straight forward enough to additionally show it on the plotter.

[2574]

Visit site
Basic difference between C and E is that the E can be networked, the C cannot. The E can be used stand alone, of course.

Have to say, you are missing out by not overlaying the AIS on the plotter, It shows you exactly where on the chart the targets are, as well as a lot of other information at your finger tips. If you can display AIS on a separate display it should be straight forward enough to additionally show it on the plotter.
Agree. I've also found doppler (radar overlaid on the chart together with AIS overlay) to be much more helpful than I thought it would be. The doppler was essentially a free upgrade on a Black Friday deal. Having used it in anger I'd actually pay the premium to have it should I need to upgrade again.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Agree. I've also found doppler (radar overlaid on the chart together with AIS overlay) to be much more helpful than I thought it would be. The doppler was essentially a free upgrade on a Black Friday deal. Having used it in anger I'd actually pay the premium to have it should I need to upgrade again.
Agree, a wealth of information right in front of you (y)

stuartwineberg

Visit site
Agree, a wealth of information right in front of you (y)
Also agree and that is why as per my post miles back in this thread I am worried that if my old e series plotters die I won’t be able to get the same functionality without changing the radar, autopilot and I guess the related compass pack (might be the wrong term)

[2574]

Visit site
Also agree and that is why as per my post miles back in this thread I am worried that if my old e series plotters die I won’t be able to get the same functionality without changing the radar, autopilot and I guess the related compass pack (might be the wrong term)
I’ve integrated a new Axiom in to an otherwise analogue environment. New radome was required, everything else integrated via a NMEA/N2k bridge. Easy peasy plug and play. I had to fit a fast compass for Doppler but not required otherwise.

Refueler

Visit site
Obsolescente .. how important is that if you know the area .. have other forms of charting to augment ?

Just because updates are no longer available for the base unit - does not mean its no use ...

I do not advocate risking your life on an old unit - but c'mon - is it really necessary to have the latest all singing dancing gear ? I suggest that vast majority of users - never push the limits of their charting needs ... that most - the plotter is a nice display assisting ...

boatmike

Visit site
As I said to PaulRainbow mine is a C120W the W denotes an extra wide screen. If he is right and you need the W to get built in GPS definitely go for one of those. Plenty for sale on e bay and other places. I would also definitely integrate AIS if you have it. It gives you an instant position of nearby vessels and is most useful.