New to us boat... what spares/tools do we need onboard

rafiki_

Visit site
I inspected And trialed an Azi 42 today with 3126 , the starboard side impeller was easy but the port will be a real challenge
Access under the port settee. Pump needs taking off to get a puller on the impeller. As I said earlier, the impellers are built to last. When I bought the Azi, it did not look like the impellers had ever been changed. No witness marks on the bolt heads.

Assassin

Visit site
Many tools may be simplified, a couple of good quality adjustables cover all sizes and a useful addition for the odd size bolts and fittings, similarly, you can get a roll of Jubilee clip banding and the clips, simply cut a length off and fit a clip and hey presto instant Jubilee clip of any size, there are many more. Simple items such as PIB or self amalgamating tape can make a temporary repair to rubber hoses and is useful for waterproofing electrical items.

One thing I would also suggest is identification; simply identify the location of potential issues and problem areas, learning how to deal with filters or knowing the location of pipework and there runs us very useful information and knowledge, and read up on your particular boat and engine options to find the problem and potential problem areas.

Boathook

Visit site
Hi,
In the final throws of buying a Princess 410 and I have a clean sheet as to what spares to keep on board and what tools have been especially useful to have onboard.

TIA.
What ever you buy in tools it won't be item you require to start with. If you are no good at DIY tools are possibly a waste of money.
For me though, I have on board socket set (metric & imperial), cordless drill with drill bits, spanner set, engineers vice, electrical crimper and crimps, soldering iron, metal and wood saw plus quite a few other handy items. Possibly also carry to many spares which is why my cruising cat is sluggish. I also normally take my dremel with me on board so that is about the only extra item. If I'm just going to do some maintenance work on board I will normally take extra tools from home that fills up my estate car boot !

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
Huge roll of paper towel, industrial strength.
Can of ACF-50 (way better than WD)
Tub of SCRUBS wet wipe hand cleaners
3M 5200 sealant adhesive
Maybe some oil absorbent pads
Amalgamating tape

Oscar24

Visit site
Unless you actually know what your doing and are familiar with the engine set up and how to work on it safely, I would take a working radio, a credit card and a decent anchor and warp. ? oh and if operating in their area, a subscription to Sea Start.
Trying to fix anything in the bilge's on a rolling sea is no fun. Bin there, done that, got ill....

jrudge

Visit site
The replies to this post show why some of us ( me!) carry pretty much all of the above that has been amassed aver years. I was on anchor once and had to mend the tender throttle. Out came the angle grinder and I made the part. The kids were swimming at the time. Jig Saws, electric sanders, electric planner, heat gun etc it goes on and on. And I actually use most of it which is why everything on the damn boat works!

rafiki_

Visit site
The replies to this post show why some of us ( me!) carry pretty much all of the above that has been amassed aver years. I was on anchor once and had to mend the tender throttle. Out came the angle grinder and I made the part. The kids were swimming at the time. Jig Saws, electric sanders, electric planner, heat gun etc it goes on and on. And I actually use most of it which is why everything on the damn boat works!
Yes, but your boat is much bigger than many of ours. I carried a comprehensive tool kit on Rafiki, but not an angle grinder or sander.