Isle of Wight sealine crash with injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashtead

Visit site
Let’s just hope they didn’t have to wait too long for an ambulance when they reached camber docks but at least they avoided the perils of StMarys hospital . I’m sure the island echo will be posting more updates. I wonder how new it was from Hanse?

Seastoke

Visit site
I do find these reports useful because for me they are wake up call not to be complacent. After boating for 40 years without an accident you can slip into a routine without thinking too much about the “what ifs”
We have all drunk a little too much and have taken our eyes off the way ahead for a few seconds and have got away with it. Not suggesting this was the case but it just makes me think and perhaps makes me a little more prepared and aware in the future.
NO we have not all drunk to much and drive the boat , I love my drink but never use it after any , I do drink and use the dink 2.5 hp

chrishscorp

Visit site
I was at a rally in Yarmouth Hbr, we came out of the pub in time to see the lifeboat crew from Yarmouth running on board and we and others in our party stood and watched as the lifeboat launched at some speed. There was a paramedic car and an ambulance waiting alongside at the quayside.
Later I went on deck to see what the commotion was and it was the Lifeboat returning and the Helicopter flying over, I did read on the news that the walking wounded were taken to St Marys and the more seriously injured were airlifted to the mainland.
Hope all make a swift recovery.

Elessar

Visit site
That’s a good Q ?
Its what I was asking re alcohol testing and the injured 4 .Exactly how much due restriction does plod have?

I mean we all know what would happen if there was an incident in a car on a public road with 4 injured.I think we all get that .
But with a boat and no 3 rd party property damage ?

Anyone know how involved plod will get ?
If it was a commercial charter then breathalyser laws apply.

If not then, as I understand it, being drunk would be a contributory factor to negligence. But not an offence on its own. I don’t believe you can be forced to take a breath test. Others may know better.

dunedin

Visit site
I do find these reports useful because for me they are wake up call not to be complacent. After boating for 40 years without an accident you can slip into a routine without thinking too much about the “what ifs”
We have all drunk a little too much and have taken our eyes off the way ahead for a few seconds and have got away with it. Not suggesting this was the case but it just makes me think and perhaps makes me a little more prepared and aware in the future.
Speak for yourself. Many of us do not drink and drive, whether in a car or on a boat.
And sadly I have seen the multi-fatal results of a powerboat hitting rocks at speed in the dark, with alcohol consumption being a likely prime cause.

Hypothetical question (ie not directly related to the boat in this thread), would the insurers pay out for the boat damage in the event of a serious accident where the skipper was proven to be intoxicated?

jrudge

Visit site
I was going to say the same but decided someone would come up with some insult or other so did not bother. However now you have gone first!

We have alcohol free beer on board which I drink at lunchtimes. The very most I will have is a 6pm glass of cava before we come in.

If anchoring - which I do a lot - I will drink but in real moderation in case I have to move the boat in the night.

I have a friend who likes a lot to drink whilst boating - each and every time he hires a skipper so he can do so.

Drinking and boating dont mix - facebook videos from Miami seem to typify why .

julians

Visit site
Hypothetical question (ie not directly related to the boat in this thread), would the insurers pay out for the boat damage in the event of a serious accident where the skipper was proven to be intoxicated?

will depend on the small print - I'd bet most policies have suitable wording to avoid a payout if the skipper has had a drink and then crashes.

Most policies I have bought use words like competent in relation to the skippers skills - it wouldnt be hard to argue that if the skipper crashed the boat he wasnt competent, irrespective of his qualifications, but I gjuess it depends on the exact cause of teh crash

SC35

Visit site
There's a big gap between having a couple of glasses of wine with lunch and being intoxicated to the point where running at high speed at night and ignoring the SatNav seems like a good idea.

benjenbav

Visit site
The boat is approximately where the line is and the hut is the blobView attachment 143551

Thanks. I had thought it must be a mistake that the grounding was reported to be in Totland Bay because it seemed unlikely that anyone would be going home (at least to the North Island - or Yarmouth or Cowes) by heading in that direction - assuming the point of departure to have been The Hut.

Even Poole, I’d head over to Hurst rather than taking the Needles channel. Maybe they were going to look at the Needles? Maybe completely disoriented?

benjenbav

Visit site
That’s a good Q ?
Its what I was asking re alcohol testing and the injured 4 .Exactly how much due restriction does plod have?

I mean we all know what would happen if there was an incident in a car on a public road with 4 injured.I think we all get that .
But with a boat and no 3 rd party property damage ?

Anyone know how involved plod will get ?
I think that’s a really interesting question. Police don’t have a role in civil issues and I’m struggling to think of a criminal offence that would result from driving your boat onto the beach. Unless pollution is a factor, of course. But that would be in the hands of the Environment Agency and/or the MCA.

oldgit

Visit site

SC35

Visit site

Portofino

Visit site
I was going to say the same but decided someone would come up with some insult or other so did not bother. However now you have gone first!

We have alcohol free beer on board which I drink at lunchtimes. The very most I will have is a 6pm glass of cava before we come in.

If anchoring - which I do a lot - I will drink but in real moderation in case I have to move the boat in the night.

I have a friend who likes a lot to drink whilst boating - each and every time he hires a skipper so he can do so.

Drinking and boating dont mix - facebook videos from Miami seem to typify why .
Now you have opened the batting , for me FWIW I don’t drink and boat .
Its popular of course in the med , but I just don’t do it and as you say zero alcohol beers have indeed come a long way taste wise etc

Just interested to know the “rules “ Suspect you would be in deep 5hit in France / Italy / Spain with officialdom if you were involved in a crash and subsequently found out you had in there eyes been over there limit .

I know the U.K. might be different.

@ Dunedin post #48;^ his Q s As I said check your policies , the exclusions .
Heres mine below - Rather know up front than think “ it gonna be salright “

E57EB283-8592-4278-ADD2-0A9642BF4540.jpeg
I wasn’t doing it any how .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.