Isle of Wight sealine crash with injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

st599

Visit site
The zone where the boat ran aground isn't covered by any Harbour Authority.
e.g. If it had happened on the Eastern side of the IOW, then it could have been within the jurisdiction of Dockyard of Portsmouth / KHM or ABP Southampton.

One possibility would be a prosecution by the Environment Agency, but even that would be unlikely.

Or under the Railway and Transport Safety Act which has an entire section about non-professional seamen and impairment by alcohol.

Boathook

Visit site
I enjoy a weak beer with lunch whilst sailing if the conditions are OK. Once at anchor it is another matter. If the forecast looked slightly iffy for an overnight stay, I either moderate the drinking or move to a better anchorage or even harbour for the night. I like to sleep without worrying about the weather when at anchor so I normally move.

SC35

Visit site
Or under the Railway and Transport Safety Act which has an entire section about non-professional seamen and impairment by alcohol.

For whatever reasons, it's in the Act, but it never actually made it into the statute book.
The Merchant Shipping Act could be an option, but the rocks on the Isle of Wight weren't in much danger.

Link Here: alcohol-and-boating

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alcohol and boating law in the UK

Merchant Shipping Act 1995

Boaters may be prosecuted under the Merchant Shipping Act 1995 if their actions on the water are seen to be endangering other vessels, structures or individuals and they are under the influence of alcohol.

Harbour byelaws

Locally, most harbour authorities have harbour byelaws under which they can prosecute if boaters are found to be under the influence of alcohol when in charge of a vessel. The RYA encourages harbour authorities to enforce those rules.

Railways and Transport Safety Act 2003

A law to introduce drink driving offences (including specific alcohol limits) for non-professional mariners was included in the Railways and Transport Safety Act 2003. This provision has not been brought into force.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SC35

Visit site
She is an S330, as the port side hull glazing is in two parts. The new S335 is one single peace similar to the new Princesses.

I'd agree, the shape of the starboard side hull glazing is slightly different as well.
Definitely an S330

Greg2

Visit site
I hope that all involved aren’t seriously injured and make a swift recovery.

Like others, we don’t drink at all when out on the boat but that is made easier because we aren’t daytime drinkers anyway, even when on holiday. That isn’t to say that we don’t enjoy a tipple or three in the evening but we are either on a pontoon or a mooring buoy so no issue. Might think about moderation at anchor though.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
There seem to be a lot of boaters who seem to have to Drink. Very little good usually comes from Drinking. Adults should quite honestly have learnt this by now

Shifty

Visit site
Let’s just hope they didn’t have to wait too long for an ambulance when they reached camber docks but at least they avoided the perils of StMarys hospital . I’m sure the island echo will be posting more updates. I wonder how new it was from Hanse?
Just for balance, my wife had a nasty accident outside Yarmouth harbour a couple of weeks ago and the staff and the treatment St Mary’s provided was fantastic, even on a Sunday bank holiday weekend.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
There seem to be a lot of boaters who seem to have to Drink. Very little good usually comes from Drinking. Adults should quite honestly have learnt this by now

On the other hand, there seem to be a lot of drinkers who seem to have to boat. Very little good usually comes from boating. Adults should quite honestly have learnt this by now

;)

MikeB.

Visit site
Here's the Police / MCA appeal

https://www.hampshire.police.uk/new...ation-after-marine-incident-near-totland-bay/

Officers are appealing for information following a marine incident near Totland Bay.
Shortly after 9pm on Saturday, September 24 a speed boat ran aground on the beach close to the bay.
Six people were reported as injured and taken to hospital. Two of the six, a 60-year-old woman and a 57-year-old man, were taken to hospital by air ambulance with serious injuries.
PC Potts-Henderson, said: “We are working with the Maritime and Coastguard Agency to jointly investigate the circumstances surrounding this incident. We would like to hear from anyone who witnessed this incident. We would also like to speak to anyone who may have video footage, which could greatly assist our investigation.
“Anyone with information should contact police on 101 quoting 44220389692.”
Anyone with information is asked to call 101 quoting 44220389692. Alternatively, go online and submit information via https://www.hampshire.police.uk/tua/tell-us-about/cor/tell-us-about-existing-case-report/
If you have any footage of the incident, please follow this link - https://unitedkingdom1cpp-portal.digital-policing.co.uk/request/KzK0lzTyYNavausbDdsfGiac5hvShieh

Momac

Visit site
Shortly after 9pm on Saturday, September 24 a speed boat ran aground on the beach close to the bay.
PC Potts-Henderson, said: “We are working with the Maritime and Coastguard Agency to jointly investigate the circumstances surrounding this incident. We would like to hear from anyone who witnessed this incident. We would also like to speak to anyone who may have video footage, which could greatly assist our investigation.

Since it was 9pm - can't imagine there would be any video footage.

Momac

Visit site
I am not sure why folks assuming the accident is drink related .
It could be , or not, we simply don't know.

I don't know the area .
Could this be a simple but unfortunate navigational error , travelling at night, confused by lights a shore , misinterpreting an electronic chart or something like that. Possible inexperience .
After all anyone can go and buy a boat and go to sea immediately with little or no experience .

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com

I don't know the area .
Could this be a simple but unfortunate navigational error , travelling at night, confused by lights a shore , misinterpreting an electronic chart or something like that. Possible inexperience .
After all anyone can go and buy a boat and go to sea immediately with little or no experience .
+1. Of course alcohol is a possible cause but the helmsman could have become disorientated, had a fit or taken ill in some other way, etc. It was also a dark night (new moon -1).

Bigplumbs

Visit site

I don't know the area .

At that time of night you shoul be doing no more than 5 knots. At that speed you might hurt your boat but you wont hurt people. Has a boat like that even got head lights

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
At that time of night you shoul be doing no more than 5 knots. At that speed you might hurt your boat but you wont hurt people. Has a boat like that even got head lights
Boats don't have headlights. People tend to rely on moonlight (very little that night) / ambient light / navigation lights from buoys etc plus electronic aids such as radar / plotters.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that cabin lights were on. That could have been a big distraction.

And people generally slow down but many boats will still travel at planing speed.

SC35

Visit site

A previous Sealine I had was fitted with a searchlight, but that was only really useful at very short range, e.g. approaching a Marina.
Out at sea, it mostly just removed your night vision.

Shipping doesn't only travel at 5kts at night on the open sea!
What is a safe speed depends on the location, the equipment you have, knowledge/experience of what is likely to be there, the conditions etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.