Bought a Chinese diesel heater, now tested...

PetiteFleur

Visit site
So I've bought the 12v 5kW Chinese diesel heater, from a seller on eBay, stocked in UK so no extra costs when delivered. Set up on a test rig and tested today. Did come with instructions but difficult to understand so it was a bit of experimenting. Took 5 attempts to get the fuel drawn up to the heater but then it fired up and heat came out! Ran for about ½ hour and then shut down by holding the ON/OFF button for 5 seconds. I'll try again in the morning.
The kit was not delivered with the 'Y' duct fitting listed but contacted the supplier who offered a £12 refund which I accepted so it cost £130. I'll obviously have to get extra items for fitting to the boat so the final cost will probably double the initial cost. What have been other peoples experiences, if any, with these heaters?

Kelpie

Visit site
I've only used mine a few times but, touch wood, it's been perfect so far. They've actually come down a bit in price since I got mine last year.
I bought a new length of genuine Eber exhaust hose, as the supplied length wasn't long enough for my installation and I didn't want to put a join in it. I also added a proper marine hull fitting from a seller called Southern Lasers. Exhaust lagging is also needed to insulate the exhaust. Total for these items came to about £60, and are IMHO necessary to complete a safe marine installation.
I already had a CO meter on the boat.

For ducting, I have used aluminium semi-rigid material which is quite cheap, but I need to add insulation next as my duct run is long and lots of heat is being lost into lockers along the way.

The fuel supply is currently just set up to use a jerry can in a cockpit locker- unscrew the cap, and chuck in the fuel pipe with the filter on the end of it. I might make up a second cap with the fuel pipe properly installed into it, so that I can run the heater without having to have a jerry can with no lid on it. Or I might install the supplied 10l plastic tank, but that means decanting fuel into it with the risk of spillage into the locker.

dunkelly

Visit site
i am still awaiting mine from china but i have installed one in my sons motor home successfully . installing in the boat however is a different ball game so interested in your experience . i cant seem to find a long enough length of exhaust anywhere so where did you get yours from . i think i need about 2.5 meters .

MarcJ

Visit site
I've been wrestling with my diesel heater, haven't been able to fire it up properly yet - seems to be ok, I've had trouble with getting an air tight fuel run (replicating how it will be on the boat).
For exhaust I got 3M from these, worked out about £40 incl tax and delivery https://pbautoelectrics.co.uk/shop/webasto-heater-24mm-stainless-steel-flexible-exhaust-per-meter-90394a/
Also found this for insulating the hot air outlet, seems to be good stuff! https://www.pipelagging.com/armaflex-pipe-insulation-lagging-black-nitrile-foam-class-o-2m-80mm-13mm-wall
Exhaust lagging I got from china which was really cheap £9.50 for 5M but took about 6 weeks to get here. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Webasto-Eberspacher-22-24-MM-5M-Exhaust-Glass-Fibre-Hose-Lagging-Insulations/401655663933?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Hot air outlet ducting from here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-80mm-PAP-Hot-Air-Heater-Ducting-Propex-Airtronic-Webasto-Eberspacher-APK/192559587226?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

rszemeti

Visit site
We are just re-doing our ducting in Aluminium, the boat has plenty of the paper-aluminium-paper ducting on it, it has pretty much all failed, has numerous holes in it and crumbles to the touch. It's coming out, and regualr aluminium duct, with a insulating jacket will go in.

Steve_N

Visit site
Took 5 attempts to get the fuel drawn up to the heater but then it fired up and heat came out!

Too late for you now but all the Chinese controllers have a priming function implemented which just runs the pump without attempting start-up, to allow fuel to be drawn right through the piping and filter to the heater.

Plum

Visit site
I've been wrestling with my diesel heater, haven't been able to fire it up properly yet - seems to be ok, I've had trouble with getting an air tight fuel run (replicating how it will be on the boat).
For exhaust I got 3M from these, worked out about £40 incl tax and delivery https://pbautoelectrics.co.uk/shop/webasto-heater-24mm-stainless-steel-flexible-exhaust-per-meter-90394a/
Also found this for insulating the hot air outlet, seems to be good stuff! https://www.pipelagging.com/armaflex-pipe-insulation-lagging-black-nitrile-foam-class-o-2m-80mm-13mm-wall
Exhaust lagging I got from china which was really cheap £9.50 for 5M but took about 6 weeks to get here. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Webasto-Eberspacher-22-24-MM-5M-Exhaust-Glass-Fibre-Hose-Lagging-Insulations/401655663933?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Hot air outlet ducting from here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-80mm-PAP-Hot-Air-Heater-Ducting-Propex-Airtronic-Webasto-Eberspacher-APK/192559587226?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I used that Armaflex pipe lagging on my ducting too, works well, but I used the high temperature version as the temp resistance spec on the standard version was too low for me.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

superheat6k

Visit site
So I've bought the 12v 5kW Chinese diesel heater, from a seller on eBay, stocked in UK so no extra costs when delivered. Set up on a test rig and tested today. Did come with instructions but difficult to understand so it was a bit of experimenting. Took 5 attempts to get the fuel drawn up to the heater but then it fired up and heat came out! Ran for about ½ hour and then shut down by holding the ON/OFF button for 5 seconds. I'll try again in the morning.
The kit was not delivered with the 'Y' duct fitting listed but contacted the supplier who offered a £12 refund which I accepted so it cost £130. I'll obviously have to get extra items for fitting to the boat so the final cost will probably double the initial cost. What have been other peoples experiences, if any, with these heaters?
This thread on the Mobo forum covers mine and another's install tales ...
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?511722-Good-Value-Boat-heaters

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I used that Armaflex pipe lagging on my ducting too, works well, but I used the high temperature version as the temp resistance spec on the standard version was too low for me.

The standard version data sheet says 'Max service temp. 110 degrees C' . Is that not enough for the hot air ducting?

p.s. To answer my own earlier question: no it's not enough according to the manufacturers.

After my previous post I looked at an Eberspacher manual that says the ducting needs to be good for 150 degrees C in case of overheating, and a Autoterm Planar heater manual that says capable of withstanding 130 degrees C. (Though I doubt (hope!) they reach those temperatures in normal operation.)

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
The standard version data sheet says 'Max service temp. 110 degrees C' . Is that not enough for the hot air ducting?

p.s. To answer my own earlier question: no it's not enough according to the manufacturers.

After my previous post I looked at an Eberspacher manual that says the ducting needs to be good for 150 degrees C in case of overheating, and a Autoterm Planar heater manual that says capable of withstanding 130 degrees C. (Though I doubt (hope!) they reach those temperatures in normal operation.)

Yes, the high temperature version of the armaflex insulation is good up to 150 degrees and mine has lasted 4 years so far on an Ebespacher. If you have already fitted the standard version then hopefully you will not get to the extreme conditions that generate 150 degrees.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
We are just re-doing our ducting in Aluminium, the boat has plenty of the paper-aluminium-paper ducting on it, it has pretty much all failed, has numerous holes in it and crumbles to the touch. It's coming out, and regualr aluminium duct, with a insulating jacket will go in.

Hi - how long was it before the paper-Al-paper ducting started to fail?

Visit site
When I replaced my Eberspacher a lot of the original ducting was damaged. Plus the size had to be increased for the new heater. So I fitted silicone hose. It seems to work very well. It’s rated to 180 degrees C I believe.

Kelpie

Visit site
are you guys using a silencer with these units and if so what type?

I haven't installed a silencer, although people who sail/anchor in busier places would probably be unpopular if they didn't.
You need to throw away the supplied pressed steel spot welded silencer, and replace it with a gas tight one suitable for marine use. You can find them for around £40.

superheat6k

Visit site

When I had mine on test I measured the heat exchanger inside the heater at 115oC so potentially the air coming out could reach that temperature. I have used rock wool on the air ducting which is good for at least 200oC. Fibre glass wrap is used on the exhaust good for 1000oC.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
If you have already fitted the standard version then hopefully you will not get to the extreme conditions that generate 150 degrees.

My ducting (installed by/for previous owner) has no insulation whatsoever. It makes for very toasty lockers! (Including the one with the fridge in! :eek:) Hence I'm looking to install some, and interested to identify the options.

daveyw

Visit site
You'll need to throw out the jubilee clips and replace with decent ones. I'm using mine to frost protect my boat. Unfortunately the timer program only works for one cycle. You have to reschedule it every day.......!