YouTube, again.

steve yates

Visit site
"Wankers"

Not sure who this is addressed to... Or about.

They seem to know enough about Youtube and Video production to being doing it OK.

They seems to know enough about sailing to get themselves to Spain safely.
We prob have different standards to what is good video and production, and I not sure what relevance getting to spain has. It was where they were going after all.

But to try and attempt a proper anser…Its a diatribe against those who make a drama out of bugger all. The world is full of “content creators” and “influencers” these days with nothing to say or teach and no knowledge to pass on. Mebbe I’m being all victor meldrew, but the mass of mediocrity drowns out the talented and those with a story well told.

Wansworth

Visit site
We prob have different standards to what is good video and production, and I not sure what relevance getting to spain has. It was where they were going after all.

But to try and attempt a proper anser…Its a diatribe against those who make a drama out of bugger all. The world is full of “content creators” and “influencers” these days with nothing to say or teach and no knowledge to pass on. Mebbe I’m being all victor meldrew, but the mass of mediocrity drowns out the talented and those with a story well told.
I think there are probably many more people doing stuff without putting it on YouTube once you project yourself the reality changes,your early trips and photography in the western isles because it’s not exposed to the need to influence or create content are more honest

lustyd

Visit site

Not a fan of books, movies, magazines etc. then? Tom Cunliffe and many others have made careers out of this, why shouldn't young people? The media they use is irrelevant. Yachting Monthly is the very definition of making a story out of nothing, and that's been going for decades!

Minerva

Visit site
Completely agree with lustyd above - as I look at my bookshelf, I see Hiscock (doesn't read well under a modern eye), Moitissier, Annie Hill, Ellen Macarthur, Pete Goss, Cunniliffe, Knox Johnson, and of course the Pardeys amongst others.

Why is it considered that writing books a couple of decades ago to (at least part) finance sailing was admirable and well received, but young folk choosing video as their media is so heavily criticised?

It seems the "younger generation" get lambasted for sitting around all day on their computers playing games, but if they do go and actually someone remarkable - and I'd consider crossing the bay of biscay in that category - they again get lambasted.

I suspect it's due to a cross section of society feeling bad about what little they have achieved in their lives that they feel the pressing need to criticise others at every available opportunity to try and make themselves feel better.

newtothis

Visit site
Completely agree with lustyd above - as I look at my bookshelf, I see Hiscock (doesn't read well under a modern eye), Moitissier, Annie Hill, Ellen Macarthur, Pete Goss, Cunniliffe, Knox Johnson, and of course the Pardeys amongst others.

Why is it considered that writing books a couple of decades ago to (at least part) finance sailing was admirable and well received, but young folk choosing video as their media is so heavily criticised?

It seems the "younger generation" get lambasted for sitting around all day on their computers playing games, but if they do go and actually someone remarkable - and I'd consider crossing the bay of biscay in that category - they again get lambasted.

I suspect it's due to a cross section of society feeling bad about what little they have achieved in their lives that they feel the pressing need to criticise others at every available opportunity to try and make themselves feel better.
The answer is in the clue: young people.
This board has an average age that would make Methuselah feel sprightly, and it is our God-given right to be contemptuous of annoying youth doing stuff we didn't, then piling on the schadenfreude when it all goes tits up.

doug748

Visit site
................But to try and attempt a proper answer…Its a diatribe against those who make a drama out of bugger all...

?. I have to laugh.

Seriously though, the filming and editing of some of these shows is very good, the content may be pot boiling, drivel but there is obviously still a market for it.

Apart from the points I made earlier I do think some of the channels are cynically derivative and it's the cloying "following the dream" "we bought a sailboat" bull that start to grate. I sincerely hope the wheels fall off that particular bandwagon right soon.*

* I know. I quite like a hand crafted mixed metaphor.

lustyd

Visit site
Again though, almost all of the books are about "following the dream" and "we bought a sailboat". If you're not a fan of hearing about other people boating then don't read, watch or listen. Coming here moaning about it would seem like creating content about nothing, that people don't really care about.

doug748

Visit site
Again though, almost all of the books are about "following the dream" and "we bought a sailboat". If you're not a fan of hearing about other people boating then don't read, watch or listen. Coming here moaning about it would seem like creating content about nothing, that people don't really care about.

Yes, sorry. Please feel free not to follow this thread if it upsets you.

steve yates

Visit site
Not a fan of books, movies, magazines etc. then? Tom Cunliffe and many others have made careers out of this, why shouldn't young people? The media they use is irrelevant. Yachting Monthly is the very definition of making a story out of nothing, and that's been going for decades!
You misunderstand me, I have nothing against young, or old, folk making a career out of this. I do have something against those who simply jump on a bandwagon, with nothing to tell and no talent in telling it. They inevitably create drama out of sod all, like the first episode in question.

steve yates

Visit site
I wonder if there is just a teensy bit of jealousy from the scoffers?

:unsure:
Not me, I'm not the jealous type. I follow a number of youtube channels and insta profiles and thoroughly enjoy them. I will always scoff at manufactured drama and contentless drivel though. (Edited to add the last 5 words above as i seem to have ended the post in midsentence :) )

Last edited:

lustyd

Visit site
You misunderstand me, I have nothing against young, or old, folk making a career out of this. I do have something against those who simply jump on a bandwagon, with nothing to tell and no talent in telling it. They inevitably create drama out of sod all, like the first episode in question.
Yes there was that Concerto chap who filmed in a F7 off Falmouth and wrote all about it. Total drama Queen ?

geem

Visit site
I wonder if there is just a teensy bit of jealousy from the scoffers?

:unsure:
I am living the dream, doing what the U tubers do but find their stuff boring and sensationalised. It's obvious why they do it but not worthy of my time online.
Putting the scantily clad woman on the front to lure in the old arm chair geezer sat at home for what is usually a boring video seems to work though?

capnsensible

Visit site
I am living the dream, doing what the U tubers do but find their stuff boring and sensationalised. It's obvious why they do it but not worthy of my time online.
Putting the scantily clad woman on the front to lure in the old arm chair geezer sat at home for what is usually a boring video seems to work though?
Yeah, I was fortunate to spend a couple of decades doing boaty stuff. I rarely watch the channels apart from an odd dip into the lives of our friends Ryan and Sophie. So be it.

However, as I'm now a landlubber with a telly, I can find all sorts of travel type programmes that interest me, knowing I will never go to most of those places. Good one.

Mind you, it's hard to beat a good plane crash on youtube......

DownWest

Visit site
Yeah, I was fortunate to spend a couple of decades doing boaty stuff. I rarely watch the channels apart from an odd dip into the lives of our friends Ryan and Sophie. So be it.

However, as I'm now a landlubber with a telly, I can find all sorts of travel type programmes that interest me, knowing I will never go to most of those places. Good one.

Mind you, it's hard to beat a good plane crash on youtube......
Humm
Sailed since I was about 4 yrs, but find most of the u-tube stuff not too interesting.. If you want bikinis, look at the Mail
Been involved in a couple of plane crashes involving people I knew and planes I had rebuilt or serviced. You don't want to go there.