YouTube, again.

benjenbav

Visit site
I skipped though the OP’s link. This channel seemed more about the authors’ lives and lifestyle seen through the prism of a boat than about sailing itself. Not really my cup of tea but good luck to them.

ylop

Visit site
Q: How do these people get insurance?
Insurers don't really analyse risk the same way that you or I do. They look at statistics, and statistically a lot of people have made the UK-Portugal journey without expensive claims (I suspect in general the most expensive claims happen when you hit other things (especially other people) which is probably less likely in the Bay of Biscay than Poole Harbour and total losses probably happen more often when nobody is on board than on passage?). From an actuarial perspective there are probably relatively few claims from that sort of crossing because most people that do it would be fairly competent.

I do wonder if any of them might run into problems with a big claim if the insurer realises that essentially "Youtuber" is a job, and they are effectively using the boat for a commercial purpose.

You can buy a boat, spend 6 months fixing it up, do some online courses, buy safety gear - but you cannot buy experience - watch the latest episode and see the fear in her eyes when the wind got up.
in fairness to this couple I don't think they just did some online courses - they both did DS practical I believe? I've not watched the episode, but she's not new to Youtube and a little over sensationalized drama. The success of the channel seems to suggest there's an audience for it. I don't understand Patreon but there are obviously people who want to be part of the "adventure" vicariously and are willing to chuck cash at it.

One of these channels will come a cropper one day, I hope not, but it will happen one day.
its pretty much guaranteed - people came a cropper on sailing adventures long before Youtube. Does youtube indirectly encourage them to do stupid things? Perhaps, but success on YT isn't necessarily about real life danger, its about good camera work, video editing and telling a story (probably with stupid clickbait titles and thumbnails). In fact, for people documenting their own "drama" that's actually a lot harder to do if you are in real difficulty, and in sensible passages is rather dull - hence why most YouTubers are documenting their repairs/destination/domestic arrangements not the actual sailing.

ylop

Visit site
A photogenic lady and a warm climate don't hurt, but while I do appreciate the aesthetics of a bikini-clad beauty, those aren't the channels I tend to stay with unless they're getting the rest right
There is a very strange phenomenon - I subscribe to a rather bizarre / eclectic bunch of YT channels. Only the sailing ones have the bikini clad thumbnails (few of them actually have much bikini clad content). I appreciate it generates clicks - and views = revenue. Good content is more likely to generate recurring views though without gradually drifting ever closer to only-fans!

doug748

Visit site
- watch the latest episode and see the fear in her eyes when the wind got up. UK to Portugal, 1000nm, on your first 'real' passage, really? One of these channels will come a cropper one day, I hope not, but it will happen one day.

I must catch up with them.

Here is a similar show. As you say, buying a boat, doing a few day trips and then setting off on a 7 day passage is probably not the ideal introduction to sailing:

Hats off to them they got there. Though the boat was for sale in the next episode and they junked the interior of a nice boat.

GrahamD

Visit site
Their stated reason for heading straight to Portugal was to get as far south as possible whilst still preserving their 90 days “Schengen time”.

90 days in 180 is a real problem for many liveaboards, and will drive many British sailors to undertake inadvisable voyages, setting off before they are ready or in bad conditions.

clyst

Visit site
First voyage direct to Portugal ? Not the first ideal trip id thought . They have youth on their side but little experience . I get the impression Poor Becca seems to think most problems can be solved by a few tears . I'd have thought bearing in mind their lack of experience and an unknown boat a circumnavigation of the UK would be a better cruise to gain experience before setting off on an ocean voyage . A UK cruise can mostly done in day or two hops any troubles either personally or boat could be sorted quickly and with people who speak their language . There are probably more advantages too . ....... just a thought .

Daverw

Visit site
I’m not sure but are they buddying up with a couple of other YouTubers going that way, they have mentioned Mads from sail life a couple of times

Adios

Visit site
Here is a similar show. As you say, buying a boat, doing a few day trips and then setting off on a 7 day passage is probably not the ideal introduction to sailing:

Comments: “That was like super inspiring guys”. ? i scrubbed back through the video and they had perfect weather apart from one bumpy stretch with some splashing and a minor technical hitch to overcome. That trope about what would pampered modern people be like if the electric goes off for a few days comes to mind. Gen Z goes sailing.

doug748

Visit site
First voyage direct to Portugal ? Not the first ideal trip id thought . They have youth on their side but little experience . I get the impression Poor Becca seems to think most problems can be solved by a few tears .......

Yes, as I see it , they bought their first boat, 40ft, in the spring fitted her out and did a few coastal day sails. They have very limited experience as far as I know, none offshore on the boat and none as skipper. Had they asked the venerable forum I am sure the consensus would have been 'please don't set off from Falmouth to Portugal in an untried boat with an untried crew'
They actually departed with: "a gale forecast for Scilly", so not a great shock that things got troublesome.

They spent all the right money got all the correct safety items, and an expensive big boat, what could go wrong? Loads of people have done that trip? Lots of stuff on YouTube to inspire you.
However what they lacked was the experience and the knowledge base to make a properly balanced decision. Graham makes a good point "Their stated reason for heading straight to Portugal was to get as far south as possible whilst still preserving their 90 days “Schengen time”. They took their eye off the ball, I am sure all the old timers on here would say you take everything into consideration but the weather, the trip, the crew, the boat are the prime considerations.

Anyways, the original point was not about any particular YouTubers but the way that the medium downplays the true nature of sailing, often trivialising it. They may well be at their destination now, enjoying life but they will have learnt a lot.
Interesting to compare approaches with that of old Mads of Sail Life, who does have a reasonable sailing background and is it taking things very steady.

Last edited:

JRCO26

Visit site
The popular sailing channels are popular in the same way Reality TV became a popular... hot young women and inane 'drama'. This is your Delos and La Vagabonde type channels at the top of the food chain.
There is a subgroup of less popular channels that have more sailing, much less T&A if any at all, and boats and people I can relate to. Of these I would say my favourites are The Sailing Brothers, Sailing Triteia, and Sailig Magic Carpet.
Then there is a further sub group such as me, who is neither good looking nor a great video editor, that posts sailing videos as he enjoys the process and gapes in wonderment if he gets more than a 100 views. He will never be popular, never able to support himself by Patreon, and is unlikely to don a bikini in some ridiculous attempt to change that....it wouldn't be a good look with the somewhat hirsute bulky nature of the body (not) beautiful.

Adios

Visit site
They spent all the right money got all the correct safety items, and an expensive big boat, what could go wrong? Loads of people have done that trip? Lots of stuff on YouTube to inspire you.

Anyways, the original point was not about any particular YouTubers but the way that the medium downplays the true nature of sailing, often trivialising it.
They are distilled product of "lifestye influencers". Their inspiration comes from watching as you say trivialized youtube videos and thinking it looks like the sort of thing they should be doing. The "wild we roam" channel https://www.youtube.com/c/WildWeRoam/videos is a series of these failed half hearted attempts to do something that was made to look easy and glamorous on youtube. After "we sailed to the middle of the ocean" came "we are selling our boat". After "We moved to the jungle", came "We need to get out of the jungle" and "Not as easy as we thought". They "Bought a puppy" because of course. I guessed they would and sure enough they are now "building a house off grid". They are literally living Youtube. It is really that influential on their generation.

Cloona

Visit site
i always admire the youngsters setting off and learning as they go ... the early Wildings Sailing and Chasing Currents and similar are inspiring.
Sailing Florence is just hardcore mileage .. anyone see the M Jambo dismasting - Patrick Laine is good - there is guy NBJS from Norway - all fabulous.

Having to create (editing on a boat) 20 minutes of Video a week (to keep the algorithms happy) and having to service the Patreons with emails and chats etc
.. no such thing as a free sail ! I think James from Sailing Zingaro is interesting as he has the lifestyle so nailed down BUT as age catches up will the glamour fade.. (plus his boat sinking really captured the actual panic of water over the cabin sole.)

Of course they all generally throw severe shade on my little yotty adventures but good luck to them all .. why would i ever resent any of them.

I could always join them ...

clyst

Visit site
i always admire the youngsters setting off and learning as they go ... the early Wildings Sailing and Chasing Currents and similar are inspiring.
Sailing Florence is just hardcore mileage .. anyone see the M Jambo dismasting - Patrick Laine is good - there is guy NBJS from Norway - all fabulous.

Having to create (editing on a boat) 20 minutes of Video a week (to keep the algorithms happy) and having to service the Patreons with emails and chats etc
.. no such thing as a free sail ! I think James from Sailing Zingaro is interesting as he has the lifestyle so nailed down BUT as age catches up will the glamour fade.. (plus his boat sinking really captured the actual panic of water over the cabin sole.)

Of course they all generally throw severe shade on my little yotty adventures but good luck to them all .. why would i ever resent any of them.

I could always join them ...
All safe and sound back in ST Mawes Cornwall now . Time to reflect ?........ maybe .