YouTube, again.

Kelpie

Visit site
I'm fairly well plugged in to the family sailing scene through various social media groups etc.
There is definitely an air of 'buy a big cat, set off in to the sun'. I admire the can-do attitude and compared to a lot of people we seem oddly well prepared (12yrs sailing before we set off, some people jump straight in having never actually sailed in their lives).
But I've got to wonder how it feels to these people when they first experience an anchor dragging, or an inopportune engine failure, in their huge cat which they sold their house to buy, and with a young family aboard. Let alone a genuine emergency like a MOB or a fire.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
It’s a question of where the pendulum swings. For the past thirty years many people have sought out well found boats, well funded cruising kitties, well experienced and qualified crews. Trouble is, too often one sees a ”blue water ready” boat for sale “due to health reasons“. It’s getting the balance right, don‘t wait so long that it’s loo late but not so early that you are a danger to yourself and others. The pendulum is swinging to the latter now I feel, being driven by the YouTube beauties. Don’t leave it too long though, the boat will never be perfectly ready…..

ylop

Visit site
It’s a question of where the pendulum swings. For the past thirty years many people have sought out well found boats, well funded cruising kitties, well experienced and qualified crews. Trouble is, too often one sees a ”blue water ready” boat for sale “due to health reasons“. It’s getting the balance right, don‘t wait so long that it’s loo late but not so early that you are a danger to yourself and others. The pendulum is swinging to the latter now I feel, being driven by the YouTube beauties. Don’t leave it too long though, the boat will never be perfectly ready…..
Do you think pre-YouTube nobody ever did these sort of adventures and bummed around the world on a boat? Not all of them were highly experienced salty sea dogs either. Some might even have worn a bikini.

Beneteau381

Visit site
i always admire the youngsters setting off and learning as they go ... the early Wildings Sailing and Chasing Currents and similar are inspiring.
Sailing Florence is just hardcore mileage .. anyone see the M Jambo dismasting - Patrick Laine is good - there is guy NBJS from Norway - all fabulous.

Having to create (editing on a boat) 20 minutes of Video a week (to keep the algorithms happy) and having to service the Patreons with emails and chats etc
.. no such thing as a free sail ! I think James from Sailing Zingaro is interesting as he has the lifestyle so nailed down BUT as age catches up will the glamour fade.. (plus his boat sinking really captured the actual panic of water over the cabin sole.)

Of course they all generally throw severe shade on my little yotty adventures but good luck to them all .. why would i ever resent any of them.

I could always join them ...
Sailing Florence in Namimbia and SA was gob smackingly good, excellent production values and photography and I could listen tomher voice all day long

Kelpie

Visit site
Sailing Florence in Namimbia and SA was gob smackingly good, excellent production values and photography and I could listen tomher voice all day long
They're certainly up there amongst my favourites. No nonsense, no drama, just good sailing and great videos.

Magic carpet are another favourite, who are thankfully cruising again. There's only so many refit episodes I can watch.

I have found though that I hardly watch any sailing channels, now that I'm out here doing it myself. And I have no idea how these people manage to produce a half hour video every week, it's an impressive amount of work. But I would hate to have to spend every waking minute looking for 'content'. Sometimes I just want to sit and read a book. Don't think anybody would watch our videos...

richardsn9

Visit site
I tend to enjoy those most that do something a bit different or where I can relate to their cruising. Cadoha make some very entertaining and well edited videos about the South Coast and West Country where I might actually sail one day. Sail Life and Leo with Tally Ho I find riveting. A lot of channels seem to drop by the wayside as it takes a lot of time and effort to make good videos and build up subscribers.

Daverw

Visit site
What I tend to find boring is when they start to be in the same area, filming same stuff and each other just walking around with loads of cameras Or meet-up on each other’s boats, for a few weeks just gets repetitive. Then those without the creative streak copy others ideas a few months later when they get to the same destination.

Rappey

Visit site
I'm watching far less videos nowadays due to being spammed to death by adverts. It seems many including myself exit a video the moment the next lot of spam comes on which I would imagine reduces the revenue of the video creators.
I've also noticed that amazon prime now have subscriptions within subscriptions..

Kelpie

Visit site
Deleted duplicate post.

[Yeah I would definitely not be a good Youtuber. Can barely work a forum ?]

Last edited:

FWB

N/A
Visit site
For a different angle on youtube sailing videos, friends of mine have just sailed around Britain and are gradually uploading their videos.

Cloona

Visit site
There is a technical term for people trying to make money out of a hobby they know nowt about. Wankers.

"Wankers"

Not sure who this is addressed to... Or about.

They seem to know enough about Youtube and Video production to being doing it OK.

They seems to know enough about sailing to get themselves to Spain safely.

Wansworth

Visit site
There was a chap wafting about Cuba then Jamaica,seemed handy with problem solving boatwas called Limonada……thought he might be leaving late to get out of hurricane zone…..not seen his weekly vid in the last month