YouTube, again.

Neeves

Visit site
A problem with writing for 'our' magazines and its much the same issue with a video - there is actually little new to tell. Sail trim, anchoring, entering a berth - much of these tasks are the same as they were 40 years ago. It is very difficult to find something new to say. Many of us have sailed for decades - but there are new entrants to the activity - they will welcome an article on berthing or sail trim. I learnt about sal trim from North Sails J24 videos, reading articles (and cross referring the article to the vids) then doing it and then racing - to find out how bad I was. For someone new to sailing I suspect they learn the same way - but with more recent articles and maybe better YT

Soft shackles, LFRs a new MFD, a new anchor, electric drives do offer opportunity to refresh. But if you take Panope's work on anchors - he has done all the tests, some (or many of which are a bit contrived) - but how does he make it 'fascinating' - very difficult.

Much of the success of YouTube was the original novelty - this has worn off - everyone is making the product and they self publish. Your photography and editing need to be really good to become popular.

Much of the decline of print, again in our area, so much is available for free in a forum - unedited and without peer review.

Jonathan

Tradewinds

www.etsy.com
I didn't hate it - that would imply I cared.
And the video was quite well made.

But when you're posting videos on YouTube, have a story to tell.
We have to move to anther marina... oh, no we don't... we moved the boat to another berth...
Shock, horror... all that 'drama'... and for what?
Are the clips you post on FB any better?

Me? Sometimes I'd watch paint dry:ROFLMAO:

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I don't pretend that they are.
But they do have the benefit of being short.
2-3 minutes of watching an ageing fart faff around in his boat should be enough for anyone. :p
I've got hours of this old fart faffing on't Tube. I think I'm the only one who watches them. But then again It was always just a personal diary of my adventures rather than anything else. Not sure I would keep them up if they became popular :unsure:

doug748

Visit site
More news from the front line. (I must get around more)

This week one of our heroes drops a sock down the bog, they rename the boat and the in laws arrive:

"Such a steep learning curve"

Then the big one: They have decided to set up a Patreon Account to support their "Journey" Quelle Surprise.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

This week one of our heroes drops a sock down the bog, they rename the boat and the in laws arrive:

Then the big one: They have decided to set up a Patreon Account to support their "Journey" Quelle Surprise.

Thanks for keeping us updated.
Saves the rest of us from watching it. ?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Thanks for keeping us updated.
Saves the rest of us from watching it. ?
I need to report that I found a sock under the forepeak that has been there since August! Shock horror.

The worrying thing is the chap who left it there has not reported it as missing! Perhaps an excuse to do my first YouTube video?

steve yates

Visit site

There is a technical term for people trying to make money out of a hobby they know nowt about. Wankers.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I need to report that I found a sock under the forepeak that has been there since August! Shock horror.

The worrying thing is the chap who left it there has not reported it as missing! Perhaps an excuse to do my first YouTube video?

I might watch that - a true life mystery - gripping stuff.

PS: don't forget to set up a Patreon page.

Stemar

Visit site
There is a technical term for people trying to make money out of a hobby they know nowt about. Wankers.

I prefer optimists, dreamers, if you prefer. A few - a very few - actually turn out to be quite good at it and, if they don't make a living from it, it will help them continue, but most won't and will quietly disappear from the scene.

Wansworth

Visit site
on viewing various boats I have found one that needs some attention like the cabin lining needs re doing so I thought I could make a YouTube thingy about the heartache and stress involved but the upside would be I could speed up the film and have all the nasty stuff done in five minuites and have time to thank my patrons for financing my journey?

ctva

Visit site
Just skipped through / watched a couple of the 5 'sailing' episodes.

Did they even get a survey or just take the sellers comment 'there are no problems with the boat' at face value??? :eek:

It will be interesting (cringe worthy) to see their next episode and the latest one is 'getting ready to sail'...... :unsure:

doug748

Visit site
Just skipped through / watched a couple of the 5 'sailing' episodes.

Did they even get a survey or just take the sellers comment 'there are no problems with the boat' at face value??? :eek:

It will be interesting (cringe worthy) to see their next episode and the latest one is 'getting ready to sail'...... :unsure:

(y) At least they seem to have plenty of money from somewhere, always helps. I think the longshaft outboard was a schoolgirl error.

capnsensible

Visit site
Should any readers be interested, the is a link onthe Liveaboard forum to Ryan and Sophie sailing. It discusses Ryan's experience in being single handed and being involved with a migrant rescue.

Some may find it a tad more thought provoking than the stuff being discussed on this thread.

Or not.......

Abestea

Visit site
This thread has made me think of when I got my boat back in 2007.

I come from Airdrie where the only boats people saw were the locals who were steamboats every week.
Cash was tight and let's be honest still is. By pure fortune I have had the chance to sail whilst at uni and was truly bitten and was able to buy a boat.

[/QUOTE]
I am very surprised at this. This is what I learned when I researched boat buying.

(y) At least they seem to have plenty of money from somewhere, always helps. I think the longshaft outboard was a schoolgirl error.
I think this is the difference between some of the YouTube channels and others.
The surveyor on my boat recommended just go sailing. Yes there were things that needed repairs but nothing that would stop you enjoying the boat.
This is what I feel they should be doing. More sailing less upgrading everything to the latest gear. A VHF radio that works is just as good as a new DSC radio if you are calling for a radio check!

I suppose my ramblings above are about is that they haven't earned anything yet. You look at other channels where they have worked to build up a respect. Look at the channels like Magic Carpet, Odd Life, Expedition Evans, Wingdings etc.. it's the hard work they put in and also bringing ourselves along which raises our support levels.

scr0che

Visit site
Q: How do these people get insurance?

You can buy a boat, spend 6 months fixing it up, do some online courses, buy safety gear - but you cannot buy experience - watch the latest episode and see the fear in her eyes when the wind got up. UK to Portugal, 1000nm, on your first 'real' passage, really? One of these channels will come a cropper one day, I hope not, but it will happen one day.