YAPP ideas

prv

Visit site
I would like a PIC with GSM/SMS interface that can:

1) detect digital open/close inputs e.g. bilge pumps, door alarms, etc
2) read analogue inputs e.g. battery power, temperature, etc
3) read data from I2C-based devices
4) send an SMS alert based on pre-set thresholds, either digital or analog
5) switch some digital outputs, maybe one or two relays, based on a SMS command/password or pre-configured thresholds

Angus posted something the other week that ticks most of those boxes - not sure about the I2C.

Pete

Heckler

Visit site
Winter's coming. Time to do some YAPPing. Here are some ideas...

1) A simpler cheaper 2-way Seatalk/NMEA-0183 bridge than the one Frank Wallenwein does at Gadgetpool...

http://www.gadgetpool.de/bestellen/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/97/language/en

His is all singing and dancing, but quite a price at £200. I'm considering one that does all the basic messages but not the autopilot and waypoint stuff because it wouldn't fit in to a cheap PIC processor. Included would be wind, depth, boatspeed, GPS position, SOG, COG, log, trip, headings, rudder and temperature messages. Perhaps I could add the autopilot and waypoint messages if I moved to an ARM processor, but that's just duplicating Frank's device somewhat.

2) A 3 way NMEA-0183 multiplexer without any rate changing to keep it cheap - just 3 4800 baud inputs to to 1 output.

3) A wireless Seatalk autopilot remote version of this, so no dangly wires...

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...ot-wired-remote-first-in-a-box&highlight=yapp

Just +/- 1 or 10 degrees controls.

4) Make a version of the Seatalk anchor watcher that has buttons and a 2 line display for configuration rather than doing it by a laptop/USB...

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?371271-YAPP-Low-power-Seatalk-Anchor-Watcher&highlight=yapp

I found this device really useful when anchoring during the summer but changing the configuration values via the computer was a bit of a faff.

5) A 2 line Seatalk or NMEA-0183 repeater with 2 buttons that can be used to select which values you want to show, in a small enclosure with a 3D printed lid, like this...

4YmR0Ue.jpg

Any interest in any of those? Or any other ideas?

If I send you one of these http://www.yappelectronics.co.uk/AIS.htm can you make it work please? Tea tokens in exchange!
S

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
No3 please, ideally with a scrolling sea talk display as well:)

Wouldn't have any display because 1) that would make it to big and complicated and 2) it would require an internal rechargeable battery as it would need to be on all the time. A remote that works like a car keyfob is on only when a button is pushed and the battery lasts for years.

superheat6k

Visit site
There's not much information on Thomas Knauf's Seatalk site about alarms and cancelling, so I'm not sure how to do that.

Still have some left from the original 10. Only made about 5 units. I won't be expanding the button count though as it wasn't popular.

Your wired autohelm controller is notably one of the best and most used 'toys' on my boat. Thing is with it being wired is it is both simple and damn hard to loose.

A device to allow a video image to be inputted onto my Garmin GPSMAP750 plotter which doesn't have a VGA input would be brilliant.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
I an still interesting in the MOB tag system you developed but cannot currently find any more details like cost and how to obtain the hardware and software.

The project worked, and I made a few, but it was too complicated for a YAPP. Because a system consisted of 5 devices it ended up costing more than most people wanted to pay for a homemade device and they took a long time for me to build. Originally 35 people said they wanted one, but when it came to paying only 5 did, so I have ended up with lots of unused components and boxes - some of these new ideas are to use up these bits. I can let anyone have all the source code and designs and I have most of the parts. I also have one complete system which someone ordered but then disappeared.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
If I send you one of these http://www.yappelectronics.co.uk/AIS.htm can you make it work please? Tea tokens in exchange!
S

The original dev board that project was based on is no longer available. I bought a later model, but the display driver chip had changed. It was a right faff getting that to work (it's the hardest part by a long way), but I expect they have changed again now as they have a lifetime of only a couple of years. If I get a driver working for a new board I'll let you know, but it's not worth it for a one-off. The easiest way for you would be to upgrade to a chart plotter that supports AIS. I have left the source code on the website as the AIS parser and spheroidal geometry code might be useful to someone.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
A device to allow a video image to be inputted onto my Garmin GPSMAP750 plotter which doesn't have a VGA input would be brilliant.

That's beyond YAPPfoolery. Anything video is going to require surface mount components and costly development tools. I don't think my wobbly soldering and an oscilloscope from 1979 would cut it.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
No 1 gets my vote... assuming that Seatalk also means SeatalkNG

No, it doesn't. Old Seatalk is slow and is Raymarine specific. It's also legacy now. SeatalkNG is Raymarine's incarnation of NMEA2000, and is mostly interoperable with other manufacturers who produce NMEA2000 capable devices. It's their current networking method. I don't do anything that is NMEA2000 capable.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I would be willing to buy the one you have completed but postage to my location mat make it to costly but fi you are willing to let me have the source code and designs that would be great.

If you have any of the PCB's they may go in letter post so could be a help also.

Great projects just wish I could help with the hardware (boxes etc) but too far away to be effective.

www.bavariayacht.info
Originally 35 people said they wanted one [MOB tag] but when it came to paying only 5 did...
As one of the original 35, I apologise again. I started thinking of an alternative using off-the-shelf Bluetooth headsets and a central controller, to allow both MOB function and communication. I didn't get much further than buying a few BT boards, but perhaps you would consider it.

And FWIW, I now use SM components in preference to TH, even with my home made PCBs, old eyes, and shaky hands. A good soldering iron, magnifying lamp and tweezers are all you need to convert.

BlackJack SolderWerks http://amzn.to/1wuulas
Daylight Magnifying Lamp http://amzn.to/1sbFrLn

Last edited:

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
I didn't get much further than buying a few BT boards, but perhaps you would consider it.

YAPPs only come to fruition because they are, in general, simple, cheap and quick to make. The crew watcher lost sight of that. It took an inordinate amount of time to develop and produce as it was, without adding any extra features. As I sail single handed, I don't even use one.

I'm not going to do anything that complex again.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site

Albert Ross

Visit site
YAPPs only come to fruition because they are, in general, simple, cheap and quick to make. The crew watcher lost sight of that. It took an inordinate amount of time to develop and produce as it was, without adding any extra features. As I sail single handed, I don't even use one.

I'm not going to do anything that complex again.

YAPP Crew watcher is great. Perfect when sailing with only 2 people on board as means it's safe to nod off down below when other half is helming, knowing I will be woken if she falls over board. Brilliant device. Much appreciated. Thank you.

Birdseye

Visit site
Yes. I'd like a YAPP that tackled the NMEA 0183 speed problem - the issue of having to have the same input and output speed on your plotter. You have 38400 going in because of the AIS but you want 4800 coming out because the repeater and the old autopilot cant take it any faster.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
YAPP Crew watcher is great. Perfect when sailing with only 2 people on board as means it's safe to nod off down below when other half is helming, knowing I will be woken if she falls over board. Brilliant device. Much appreciated. Thank you.

I had an idea while contemplating turnip stew for dinner. The crew watcher uses an 18F25K22 processor with 32K of flash. For another £1 it's possible to get the 18F26K22 with double that. My proposed anchor watcher will use the same circuit board, display, box and buttons as the crew watcher but with some components left off. Perhaps I could combine the 2 so if you power it up with no buttons pressed it comes up as a crew watcher, power up with the top button pressed it comes up as an anchor watcher, and power up with the bottom button pressed it comes up as a simple 2 line configurable Seatalk repeater.

Sounds like a bit of a monster software writing faff though.