yacht aground

pete

Visit site
We got this one back in the water when it was washed up on a very high tide in a gale. Luckily it had a rudder that was removable.
P2140086.JPG

Attachments

• P2140108.JPG
    P2140108.JPG
    675.2 KB · Views: 47

C08

Visit site
A shame and it will give real difficulty getting her off apart from the inevitable scrotes taking equipment off her if left for any time. I hope it works out ok.

A guy in my old sailing club bought a very nice Prout 37 that had similarly pulled the mooring in Poole Harbour and after several attempts to refloat her she was writtien off by the insurers as unsalvagable. He eventially retrieved her with a large number of buoayancy bags strapped between the hulls.

I am surprised there is no back anchor line to stop it being blown further aground but perhaps it was anchored on the Lymington side and there is deeper water nearer that side?

Last edited:

jonathanhsm

Visit site
I went past it today on daily dogwalk ... and it was pretty well embedded at high tide so I don't think it's going anywhere soon .... the anchor was out with a lot of chain in the wrong direction ie parallel with the shore...but I don't think it would make any difference. looks like mooring dragged/broke free from middle of Keyhaven river. I rang Keyhaven yacht club yesterday and apparently 'owner is aware'.

Refueler

Visit site
The Air bag method is probably the best here ... less damaging.

Whats needed is low pressure weather system ... spring tide ... lots of drums / air bags forced under her and between keels - so when tide comes in she lifts ... while waiting lay out lines / anchors and dig around the keels to reduce the 'suction' .....

fisherman

Visit site
Get four 200lt barrels, lash them together under the boat either side in pairs tight as poss. Ropes over the top to keep them in place. 800kg of extra buoyancy might do it

Refueler

Visit site
Get four 200lt barrels, lash them together under the boat either side in pairs tight as poss. Ropes over the top to keep them in place. 800kg of extra buoyancy might do it

Back to my post #15 ... I would suggest more than that ... and to get as low as possible and UNDER the boat as possible ...

I would be considering digging out and strapping a barrel across the front of the bilge keels under fwd section of boat ... and similarly aft if possible ...
Then think about as many as possible low down along the sides with underhull straps to stop them riding up hull ...

Its as well to consider what the actual bouyancy of each barrel will be. Under the hull could be in high % region of barrel volume ... but side slung will be at best 30 - 40% of barrel volume.

Lets say you have one dug in under hull between keels ... lets say 100% bouyancy. 200kg ( we will ignore the 1.0235 factor of SW ).
Under fwd hull ... ~ 75% ... 150kg
Under aft hull ... ~ 80% .. 160kg

Along sides ... lets say 4 each side .. each about 40% ... 8 x 80kg = 640kg

Total bouyancy about 1150kgs ....

That means you would need about a 2ft depth of water at the boat given its usual draft of about 3ft.

Yes - I used to be involved refloating ships that ran aground ... and estimating figs ..

An infamous case some years ago ... a 60.000 ton Bilk Carrier fully loaded ran aground as she just slipped out of the main channel making the turn at southern Sweden to then go northwards up Danish coast - its a notoriously narrow spot ...
I went out with the S*** salvage guys as I had loaded the vessel in Ventspils and had all the relevant data and also to protect my clients cargo ..
We checked the drafts ... dropped a lead at the bow where she was stuck ... rough estimate of how far into the sandy bottom she was ..
Got on board and the discussion started ...

S*** asked Master to ready engines and when ready - they gave full astern ... ship shook .. but never moved. I had looked at weather forecast and politely reminded them that a high pressure period was forecast ... which would make situation worse.
A feeder mini bulker was standing by for us to offload some cargo to try get her raised enough to unstick. I advised 15,000 MT ... but was quite rudely told that 'they' knew what they were doing etc.
The Chinese Master by now was in tears - he knew what Ship Owner would do .. his career was finished.
S*** called in the mini bulker and they insisted on only 5,000 MT ... by now even the Master was saying 15,000 .... but S*** knew best.
Cast off the mini bulker and she waited a little way off from us.
Engines full astern ... nothing.
S*** then called mini bulker back in and said another 5,000MT ... I again said total should be 15,000 before weather changes ... Master also said same ... S*** ignored ... 5,000mt and cast off mini bulker again.
Full astern engines ... nothing.

By now I'm getting worried as I am watching the barometer creeping up ...

S*** then called mini bulker back in - we transferred another 5,000MT .... cast of mini bulker ...
Full astern engines and POP she came out slid back into deep water ... S*** all clapping each other on the back saying what a wonderful job they had done.

I had already spoken to Singapore Client advised them that a 10hr operation had been unnecessarily extended to near 30hours by S*** ...
Second that even though we had conducted 3 separate cargo transfers (this is bulk fertilizer by grabs) we had only lost 40MT when it was transferred back on board.

Client and Ship-Owner as I was told after - made claim against S*** for unnecessary operations and failing to follow Clients Representative advice - that was me !! A substantially reduced fee was finally agreed offsetting the losses in time & costs involved. You have to appreciate that the operation was extended .. the mini bulker was on charter all the time ... 3 berthings / unberthings alongside the ship ... cargo ops .... Definitely NOT one of S***'s finest moments.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
We have extracted boats or brought them onto a parish wharf by use of firemans type pump ( as also used by drain diggers to emty pits) to cut a pill through the mud with the intake far out into the water of the creek. The slurry runs into the creek and disperses.

I dont know if landowner would object but ....

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
We have extracted boats or brought them onto a parish wharf by use of firmans type pump ( as also used by drain diggers to emty pits) to cut a pill through the mud with the intake far out into the water of the pill. The slurry runs into the creek and disperses.

I dont know if landowner would object but ....

I have a large Peristaltic pump left over from my Additive work that is intended for 'dredging' work ... the suction pipe end will be maneuvered by use of a long pole ......
Setup -> Generator, Pump and operator on a pontoon ... we are hoping that my mini Excavator can be accommodated on the pontoon as well ... but it will need extra stabilising drums.

Anyway - my gear doesn't help the guys boat in OP ...

Slowboat35

Visit site
I'd have thought that digging channels etc would trigger the bunnyhuggers - think about the damage to bats/newts/natterjack toads/rare spiders! I also wonder if the EA would be happy about all that disturbance on the saltings. You'd soon exceed the value of the boat on the plant-hire required I fear.

New Forest DC manage the moorings there apparently, so their insurance company may be in for a bit of a hit.

btw I'm impressed at shifting fifteen megatons of fertiliser in just 30 hours - no wonder the thing floated.
Must have been the great grand-daddy of grabs!

Last edited: