Wot is a Yottie?

Downsman

Visit site
And could I be one? :D[/QUOTE]

You can be one if you like, but you'll have to get out of the 'oggin and get yer 'air cut. :D :D

Wansworth

Visit site
The term Yottie can only really be used buy non recreational boaters.Fisherman luv to get their mouth round"bloody yoties" makes them feel big .Any pro waterman can use the term mostly derogatorially.In these modern times recreationl boats are seperated from others as they are confined to marinas;but there are occassions when a "pro" will be in a confontational situation with a yottie and I have known them the "pros" to be quite nasty especially if the yottie is wearing full kit down to the yellow wellies.In this case the yottie climbed aboard his dinghy and rowed away mustering all the dignity he could muster!

nmeyrick

Visit site
Have to agree that Yottie to me carries connotations of posing in musto gear for style rather than functional reasons and generally not actually sailing. They probably dont even know how to sail but like to associate themselves with the Percieved glamour of "the scene" and can be spotted at locations like cowes week and the boat shows. Anyone who actually sails is, for me at least, a sailor or a boater.

I always find it amusing at boat shows that the people who look like they can't afford a boat are generally the boat owners who a) have no spare money now because they own a boat and b) feel no need to prove a point. Meanwhile the ones who make the effort to look like they can afford a boat usually have no idea about sailing - but for some reason nobody seems to have explained this to the young temp staff hired to man the stalls who therefore seem to concentrate their effort on the people who look like they could buy a boat but probably won't. Or am I way off the mark on this?

See also Yottie Tottie, a related phenomenon apparently driven by the false assumption that boat owners have a lot of money therefore make a good catch! Maybe Lakesailor could provide some suitable illustration?

Downsman

Visit site
That made me smile nmeyrick..I went to the Southampton Boat Show in my bike leathers once...Oh dear! never again..:D :D

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Hmm, interesting. Lots of slightly different views turning up.

My view tends to the Hooray Henry side, a Yottie may actually be a good sailor, but be disdainful of others & rather overvalue his own sense of worth.

I despair that, as a scruffy scouse pensioner, I could ever aspire to becoming a Yottie, altho the comment about "Professionals" like fishermen calling all amateurs "Yotties" strikes a chord. However, in my experience a competent professional will acknowledge competence when he sees it, even from a leisure sailor.