Work for a skilled joiner whilst cruising the world

Idiot_seeks_village

Visit site
Hello team,

Please be gentle its my first time.

Long story short; I am a carpenter and joiner by trade and am thinking of heading off on a wee adventure next year and am wondering IF I was to pack some of my tools on board what the chances are of me finding odd jobs in and around marinas/ports/coastal towns and villages for someone with my skill set to help fund the liveaboard, cruising lifestyle and hopefully elongate the journeys time frame?

Points to consider:
1) In no way am I looking for full time employment, merely some cash in hand/bank transfer work to help with the odd resupply or diesel top up.
2) I'm confident I can stock a fairly decent supply of tools that would almost give me a mobile workshop type of vibe
3) I have experience of working in high end joinery workshops here in the UK and have even done the odd job on board assorted yachts but I'm not technically a shipwright, BUT I have an eye for detail and am confident I can turn my hand to most tasks with the trusty 'You Tube' apprentice on hand.
4) I appreciate it will very much depend on where I go cruising but I am very open minded as to where I go and am wondering IF I can manage a circumnavigation of some iteration using these skills to help fund the process rather than having to learn some new computer based skill that may or may not earn money as and when I have internet connection.

Finally; what or where would be the best way to advertise my services either ahead of arriving somewhere or on arrival? Genuinely thinking of having a sandwich board or sign on exterior of boat to promote myself.

What say you? Good, bad or ugly idea?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

lusitano

Visit site
A full time liveaboard friend of mine , cabinet maker to trade, settled in the Carribean and made a very good living
carrying out repairs and maintainance on the luxury Charter Yachts .
By producing excellent quality workmanship , carried out on time, he became extremely sought after and word of mouth recommendations meant that he never had to advertise, he always had a full schedule. Out of season he would cruise down to Venezuela or the ABC,s and live like a lord for a few months.

PlanB

Visit site
Not to answer all your queries, but a couple of thoughts.
What citizenship? Stay limited to 90 days in 180 in Schengen for Brits.
Be careful with advertising - in Spain, the tax authorities would come down like a ton of bricks if they thought someone was running a business.
In the eastern Med, I believe local businesses could make life difficult.
As a result of Brexit, the UK long term cruising community is much reduced in Europe.
I do know someone with high end joinery skills who passed word around a marina with expats, and the word got passed round smart villas, and he setup a shore based (legit) business. Mind you, he had a working wife.

Stingo

Visit site
In the Caribbean, the locals will see you as competition and report you to immigration, resulting in an exit stamp in your passport. Immigration will often report your imminent arrival to immigration of the next island in the chain.

Yngmar

Visit site
You'll find the occasional job, especially if you're putting into a popular marina with a large liveaboard community over winter. If you do it as favour with a bit of cash on top, it'll be tolerated. If you hang out a big sign and take work from the locals, you'll probably catch trouble of some kind.

While cruising (assuming seasonal cruising like is common in the Med), it'll be rare.

If you go stationary somewhere and set up as proper business, you'll probably do fine (if your work is up to it). And not get in trouble :)

lusitano

Visit site
In the Caribbean, the locals will see you as competition and report you to immigration, resulting in an exit stamp in your passport. Immigration will often report your imminent arrival to immigration of the next island in the chain.
Not difficult to sign on as crew for the duration of the job.

Idiot_seeks_village

Visit site
Many thanks for your replies and insights.

I’ll carry on with my research. Ultimately, as with most things in life, I’m probably going to have to give it a go and see where it takes me. If we have all the answers before pushing off it defeats the purpose of the adventure…..fingers crossed.

Happy travels one and all

Idiot_seeks_village

Visit site
A full time liveaboard friend of mine , cabinet maker to trade, settled in the Carribean and made a very good living
carrying out repairs and maintainance on the luxury Charter Yachts .
By producing excellent quality workmanship , carried out on time, he became extremely sought after and word of mouth recommendations meant that he never had to advertise, he always had a full schedule. Out of season he would cruise down to Venezuela or the ABC,s and live like a lord for a few months.
Potentially cheeky question: don’t suppose you’d know if he’d be looking for some seasonal help? Or if he would be happy to discuss his experience directly with me? No worries if not