Attracted to Sailing but ....

winch2

Visit site
As long as all this leaning over the side of the boat as in my picture isn't compulsory
Alas ,if you opt for the dinghy route then yes sitting up on the windward side of the boat, tho not as much as that fellow is doing, as you sail towards the wind is Im afraid compulsory to balance the boat and stop it from going right over, but it is extremely good fun.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
.... As long as all this leaning over the side of the boat as in my picture isn't compulsory I am cautiously optimistic that I might be able to make a go of it, at least to some extent and in some conditions.
There are those, as in my 2010 picture, who do a bit of leaning over the side for pure fun because in a 30+ foot yacht it doesn't make a detectable difference. Except that in a flotilla regatta it may disrupt other family boats whose kids immediately want to have a go with that!

Attachments

• IMG_1987(cropped).jpg
    IMG_1987(cropped).jpg
    664.9 KB · Views: 7

B27

Visit site
Hi all,

I am a motor cruiser type of fellow, but have more time on my hands now and I keep getting the urge to go learn sailing. Trouble is I will be 70 next year, if I'm spared. Pictures like the attached are hardly inspiring. I know everyone says age is just a number and never too old and all that stuff, but I'm not able to do these type of acrobatics.

I'm not interested in racing and my idea is cruising in a more leisurely style: the question is, does a more leisurely yachting style actually exist or do you need to be young-ish, strong, and bendy to sail a small yacht or dinghy?

I would love to become competent and perhaps buy a small yacht to go along coastal waters, but realistically, should I just keep on motor cruising and continue to look enviously at the yachters sailing by and forget all this nonsense about sailing.
There are obviously yachts which don't require great athleticism.
But dinghies and open 'dayboats' come in a range too.
The Laser in your picture is one end of the 'physicality' spectrum, the other extreme might be the Challenger trimaran which is active with wheelchair users.

The trouble is, the less athletic boats tend to be a bit heavy, so hard work to launch and recover.
So for many, the best answer is to go for a small yacht and keep it afloat, which is then a big commitment in money, and time if you want value from it.
I'd suggest chatting to a few sailing schools and giving it a try.
Or maybe rope in a younger relative?

I do know people who've raced Lasers at 70 though. But they probably started racing when they were about 7.

wooster

Visit site
Oops I don't know what happened to my full reply! Anyway it should have said:

I'm mobile enough but not really up to the leaning over the side stuff. I would be happy to look at a small yacht like the 24ft Hunter or similar as mentioned above but take on board the issues of keeping it afloat. If it became my main boat it wouldn't be an issue as I'd just moor it where my current one is kept but of course, I don't really know where I am going with this idea about sailing.

In the meantime I've contacted a couple of sailing clubs near to me and will be looking to try things for a few months before I decide what is best for me. I do hope I can work something out and perhaps being a crewmate with a younger member might indeed be a good option.

ashtead

Visit site
If you want some racing at a sedate pace many clubs I know on South Island have club boats which are solid old 16-18foot craft which can be capsized if you really try but tend not to and many older sailors race such vessels. I suppose a racing keelboat like a Bembridge redwing with crew of 3 gives much racing to older sailors in retirement years or if inland Thames raters tend to stay upright. Anyway if you want a bit of excitement a club boat or club class might be a way in buying a third share say for modest outlay. Clearly don’t know the clubs near you but obviously many join clubs some way from home base.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
If you want some racing at a sedate pace many clubs I know on South Island have club boats which are solid old 16-18foot craft which can be capsized if you really try but tend not to and many older sailors race such vessels. I suppose a racing keelboat like a Bembridge redwing with crew of 3 gives much racing to older sailors in retirement years or if inland Thames raters tend to stay upright. Anyway if you want a bit of excitement a club boat or club class might be a way in buying a third share say for modest outlay. Clearly don’t know the clubs near you but obviously many join clubs some way from home base.
I’m into my 60s and one of the younger XOD sailors🤣 So cranky old keelboats, yes, suitable. But theres not much to do in them except race. We never let our mooring go except to race, or sail her to where the race is going to be.

Wansworth

Visit site
I dung mind the fiddling with ropes etc and would like the challenges of navigation. I’d also be keen to get someone along the lines of the 24ft Hunter mentioned above.

I’m mobile

I’m into my 60s and one of the younger XOD sailors🤣 So cranky old keelboats, yes, suitable. But theres not much to do in them except race. We never let our mooring go except to race, or sail her to where the race is going to be.
Sailed in an XBoat years ago that had been converted to a cruiser with a reduced rig……Very comfortable and easy to sail without any exciting moments Butthe trick would be have the club launch take you out and back ….

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
Where did this talk of racing little boats that may capsize come from? Wooster said in his first post that he didn’t want to race, but to gently cruise.

Getting a few taster sessions aboard a simple cruising boat, nothing too big and powerful would be a good way to go.
If that works out, swapping his motor cruiser for a small 23-27’ yacht could be a good option. There are loads of inexpensive boats in that size range out there perfect for gentle cruising.

I swapped from motorboats to a simple 24’ yacht for day sailing and the occasional week long cruise at the spritely age of 55, and haven’t regretted it one bit, the learning curve has been positively engrossing.

I doubt Wooster lives anywhere near where I keep my boat, but he would be most welcome to join me aboard to see how he takes to life in the slow lane.

Last edited:

benjenbav

Visit site
There is a utube website featuring a sailing vicar in a little Cornish crabber type vessel entitled sailing morning vicar -he seems to single hand and not youthful so might be worth a watch. …

I was going to mention that ‘Morning Vicar’ chap. He always seems to be enjoying what he’s doing, so must be getting something right.

wooster

Visit site
Where did this talk of racing little boats that may capsize come from? Wooster said in his first post that he didn’t want to race, but to gently cruise.

Getting a few taster sessions aboard a simple cruising boat, nothing too big and powerful would be a good way to go.
If that works out, swapping his motor cruiser for a small 23-27’ yacht could be a good option. There are loads of inexpensive boats in that size range out there perfect for gentle cruising.

I swapped from motorboats to a simple 24’ yacht for day sailing and the occasional week long cruise at the spritely age of 55, and haven’t regretted it one bit, the learning curve has been positively engrossing.

I doubt Wooster lives anywhere near where I keep my boat, but he would be most welcome to join me aboard to see how he takes to life in the slow lane.
Thank you very much for your kind offer. Unfortunately I am in Kent so not really near you, but your advice is encouraging for what I want to do. At the moment, I'd aspire to one of these Hunter 24ft jobs but time will tell if it is a possible fit for me.

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Sailed in an XBoat years ago that had been converted to a cruiser with a reduced rig……Very comfortable and easy to sail without any exciting moments Butthe trick would be have the club launch take you out and back ….
Other way around, that one I think. Built that way from new, but converted to an XOD later. X76, Myrtle. I should think she was a bit more compact down below than our friend wooster might be thinking of. Sailors were hardier and more inured to the discomfort and lack of privacy in those days. Sailing wise, XODs are lovely, well mannered craft, responsive and easy to manage. However, as the class is stuffed with ageing world champions and olympic medallists, including the owners of X76, winning is tough.

xyachtdave

Visit site
Thank you very much for your kind offer. Unfortunately I am in Kent so not really near you, but your advice is encouraging for what I want to do. At the moment, I'd aspire to one of these Hunter 24ft jobs but time will tell if it is a possible fit for me.

As you’re in Kent keep your eye on the Medway Yacht Club website for try sailing events. They’re usually during early part of the season, opportunities on all sorts of craft for free.

They do dinghy courses, personally I’d swerve that this time of year, there’s no need to capsize a Topper to learn how to sail a small keelboat.

Sailing is not difficult and if you’re practical you’ll pick it up in a matter of hours rather than days, as a boat owner already nav and collision regs won’t be an issue so you can concentrate on how all the ropes work.

It only needs experience and possibly some training if you’re going out in strong winds F5 and above or want to win races.

Pottering around the Medway for example in less than 15 knots of wind is an ideal place to learn.

I know some like to add a layer of mystic to sailing, making it sound like an impossible art only the chosen few can accomplish while confusing everyone with nautical twaddle, in reality it really is a piece of cake.

doug748

Visit site
Thank you all for your comments and advice. I would certainly be attracted to a boat such as the 23' one mentioned but obviously it is good advice to take an extended trial of the sport first......

Good idea.

Courses are a great idea to set you off, though for some folk once is enough.

There are a number of types similar to the Hunter mentioned, they have big accommodation for their size, separate heads and often aft double bunks. Things like Spring 25, Kelt, First and GibSea. A bilge keel is less hassle to manage, finding a mooring and winter storage is less of a problem - which I think you would value. Whilst they can be lively, in suitable weather I think they would be fine.

Possibly less demanding boats for a laid back sail include Sadler 25 and 26, Hurley 22 and 24 etc, etc. All of these boats are available for dingy money exp if you are willing to do some fettling. My advice is to buy something that is ready to go and was actually actively sailed last season, not just bobbing about on a mooring.

Thresher

Visit site
Go for it! If you've had a motor boat then you are 90% of the way there already. A sailing boat is just a motor boat with sails and they are optional, you don't have to put a sail up if you are not comfortable with it.