Woodbridge Marina

paulrossall

Visit site
Yes it is easy to get in provided you pay due attention to tides!

Very roughly, for a boat drawing 1.5mt, you need half tide-ish to get over the Deben bar (at Felixstowe Ferry) and Woodbridge is about 10 miles up the Deben. Access over the cill into the marina is more restrictive but there is a very accurate depth indicator on the cill. Look at the info on sailorman's post.

Going in the tide works for you as it is about 30 minutes after the bar but coming down river you need to get a move on to make sure you reach the bar in good time.

Woodbridge is as nice a town as you will find anywhere. Loads of good pubs with proper beer. The two takeaways close early, by my standards, some days 11pm and definately by midnight.

Woodbridge is very definately worth visiting.

davidfox

Visit site
My boat draws 1.8/9m and i go there once or twice a season. It is easier in my veiw to (if time permits) leave the marina at high tide, and drop down to the Rocks or Ramsholt and then cross the bar on a rising tide, if the wind has any strength and east in it and the tide is ebbing fast, it can be quite character building crossing the bar.
Woodbridge is a nice town and the marina is very pleasant.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
At 1.8/1.9m too, we follow David's strategy above.... only difference being that we leave circa 1hr before HW, and punch the last of the rising tide through Loders Cut just so that we have the luxury of a few more cm's rise just in case we get the shallow bits wrong!

Sixpence

Visit site
Never know if you've posted a safe link Roger /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Now excuse me while I go back to sleep /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

paulrossall

Visit site
You can pick up a mooring at either Felixstowe Ferry, or even better at Ramsholt where you should ask the Harbour Master, George Collins. He will normally be on his boat, Brio, moored near the end of the barge dock.

sailorman

Visit site
there is no real probs in the area & some of the best anchorages in the UK ( make sure you have the correct anchor /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )
where are you based
roger

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Second Roger's comments.... pick your weather and tides and the Deben bar is a pussy cat.......

Once in the Deben its as easy as it gets..... and there is enough space at the Rocks for a small ship!

And i'll add..... the Deben is well worth the effort.... its a really lovely river.

Sailing in the area immediately oustide the Orwell there really is little to worry about, and again, as Roger said, so many lovely anchorages.....

Hope to see you about this summer!