Woodbridge Marina

eastcoastbernie

www.ritzystitches.com
Welcome fellow She.

I can see why the old timers (tee hee!) would describe the Deben Bar as a doddle, but in my opinion it is a potential hazard to be treated with the utmost respect.

For your first entrance to the Deben, plan to cross the Deben Bar on a rising tide. This goes against the grain somewhat as it means you have to punch the tide on your way to Woodbridge Haven, but it isn't very far from the Orwell, so it won't take forever. The closer to HW you are on arrival at the Deben Bar, the more water you will have and the less stressful crossing it will be.

If you are a nervous type, that's good, cos you're unlikely to do anything stupid. Equally, if you want to be cautious, don't go for Woodbridge Haven on your first entrance to the Deben.

Why rush on to Woodbridge when Ramsholt Arms is lovely, with a very nice pub. It involves a short trip in the dinghy, but if you don't fancy that, eating on board can be lovely too. You will probably be rewarded with a beautiful sunset.

Carry on to the rocks and you will find a pretty easy anchorage. The best holding is on the left on the opposite side of the river to the beach. You can dinghy ashore to the beach or stay on board to eat.

After the rocks, the channel is narrower and the closer to Woodbridge you get the shallower it all gets. And you have to time it right for the cill at the Tide Mill.

So, if it is your first time, and you are a bit nervous, don't be too ambitious and settle for Ramsholt or The Rocks and leave Woodbridge for the next day.

Well, that's my opinion anyhow.

shmoo

Visit site
We used to come out of the tidemill as soon as our 1.5 m would allow (lean the keel gently against the sill and wait is the trick) and make the bar in one tide in the dark.

But we cheated by motoring it carefully in the opposite direction with the nav pooter recording a waypoint every 15 seconds, then reversed it. Coming out in the dark the unerring hand of Raytheon would see us right. We did keep a good lookout though - some folks are not above anchoring bang in the channel on the basis that no-one would be mad enough to move about after dark.

MoodySabre

Visit site
Hello.

An alternative view of getting out of the Deben. I draw 1.7m. Out of Woodridge as soon as there is enough water over the cill, motor if necessary, use Loders Cut (if you can get out of the Tidemill you can get through the cut (apparently). Down the Felixstowe Ferry in indecent haste (averting eyes passed Ramsholt Arms). The HM told me that if the Horse Sand (see chart) is covered then there is enough water to get out over the bar. Works for me. All best done in fair weather.

Wunja

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
no radar,no puter after a crossing from Heletvouslouis (Hellevoetsluis?) in an 8m boat /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That'll be me in 2 weeks! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

morgandlm

Visit site
Quiet a nice marina with friendly staff. Very nice town with some good restaurants and lots of local interest. Went in there for the first time last year and although apprehensive about the Deben entrance, had no problem - in fact it was good fun. Definitely a good place to go.

Not strictly relevant but if you look on Google Earth, you will see a boat aground on the sill into the marina. I pointed it out to the marina staff who were amused but said it happens a lot. I had to wait to get out of the marina because an impatient Dutch boat got stuck on the cill and blocked the channel for half an hour. There is a very easy to see tide gauge.

Google Earth is quite useful for visualising such approaches.

Morgan

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Ignore what they say about anchoring at the Rocks. I tried and dragged 5 times in full view of a large number of smug johnnies all securely anchored /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif . Having said that I usually fail at anchoring /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Some Old Timers used to do it in the Dark /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now they don't do it at all /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Or didn't you mean that ? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
Just before touch down /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Sailroom002-3.jpg

Now how do I set it up ? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif