Woodbridge Marina

bradtarga34

Visit site
We are making a foray from the depths of the Upper Thames for Woodbridge via Burnham-on-Crouch. Planning on staying at Burnham Thursday night, then up to Woodbridge for Good Friday, then back to Burnham Saturday, and St Kat's Sunday, before we head back to the quiet life.

Any tips for the trip from Burnham to Woodbridge and vica versa? We are planning on leaving Burnham at about 1000 to be at Felixstowe Ferry for 1200, weather/ wind permitting. I was in Felixstowe the other week for work and took a drive to Felixstowe Ferry out of curiosity, and that is some serious bar at the river mouth! I have checked the East Coast Rivers site and was hoping an updated chartlet might be available before we leave as all looks rather daunting... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Any suggstions welcome!

MoodySabre

Visit site
Hour by hour pics on the archive here .

An hour before HW in a mobo won't be a problem. It is a bit daunting the first time with a big fin keel but you don't have that to worry about. You can get quite close in shore after the SHB going in and stay that side until about halfway to the PHB that is further in. Coming out on the ebb the tide sets across the bar so you need to be aware that you are following the right line out.

Well that's how I have done it and survived.

sailorman

Visit site
on the way out on the flood, keep "very close in" @ the bawsey pier ( there are withies -keep to port -just ) untill past the first gap on the east side then cross over slowly following the east knoll untill abeam the rocks on the west bank.
this will keep you out of the tide in deep (enough ) water then round the stbd hand By. you will carry a fair tide to the orwell

peterb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ignore what they say about anchoring at the Rocks. I tried and dragged 5 times in full view of a large number of smug johnnies all securely anchored /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif . Having said that I usually fail at anchoring /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had similar trouble. Tried 5 times, but couldn't get it to hold. Finally gave up and pulled the anchor right up. That's when we found the baked bean tin on the point of the CQR.