Wiring extra domestic battery

CFarr

Me: Well inland. Boat: Bellanoch, Crinan Canal
Visit site
Ok, so I know the subject of batteries is huge and complex but can someone tell me the best way to wire in an extra battery to the domestic?
I currently have only one start and one domestic wired through a 1,2, both switch to charging from either the alternator or the Adverc charger.
If I simply wire an extra battery in parallel to the existing domestic one this should also carry the charging function as well shouldn't it?
Is there anything else I need to account for?
Thanks for looking

kprw

Visit site
Yes, you can simply parallel the extra battery but the system will work best if domestic batteries are of similar type and size. Also consider fitting a VSR (voltage sensitive relay) between starter and domestic battery(s), Its the simplest, cheapest and most effective protection for your starting capacity and optimises the output from your alternator! KPRW

MoodySabre

Visit site
Ok, so I know the subject of batteries is huge and complex but can someone tell me the best way to wire in an extra battery to the domestic?
I currently have only one start and one domestic wired through a 1,2, both switch to charging from either the alternator or the Adverc charger.
If I simply wire an extra battery in parallel to the existing domestic one this should also carry the charging function as well shouldn't it?
Is there anything else I need to account for?
Thanks for looking
That's all I did about six years ago and it has been fine. No fancy stuff.

prv

Visit site
Just putting the new battery next to the existing and adding a couple of short cables to connect it in parallel will do fine. If you have the length available, it's technically slightly better if the connections to the load/charging are each made to a different battery. That is, wire them in parallel and then move either the positive or the negative, whichever's easiest, from the old battery over to the new. But I wouldn't worry about that if it's not easy, lots of boats are just wired with simple parallelling cables and the connections at one end of the bank.

Pete

charles_reed

Visit site
Cheers guys. I thought it would be fine but after reading the infinite complexities of batteries and their charging routines thought it best to check.
Hope youv'e all survived Angus :)

Rather windier than Angus, in the Irish Sea is the next hooley coming through tomorrow afternoon but of, course only the SE UK is newsworthy as all the bankers live there!!!