Which Tiller Pilot Simrad tp10 or Raymarine 1000+

graham

Visit site
Both similar price.Boat is25 foot cruisibg sloop.

Dont intend connecting it to any other electronics.Main priority is long lasting reliability.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Although I'm generally a fan of Raymarine kit, the Simrad tiller pilot is IMO better made than the Raymarine one. Still not as good as it should be but somewhat less prone to throwing a wobbly 'cos it's got a bit wet!

(It astonishes me that neither Simrad nor, especially, Raymarine, have addressed the vulnerability of a bit of kit that is intended to be used in the cockpit of a seagoing boat to the effects of some not entirely unexpected H2O)

Spyro

Visit site
It's a common question and you will get as many people saying one or the other, For me it's the Raymarine. Try a forum search

ianabc

Visit site
Main priority is long lasting reliability.[/QUOTE]

You might like Pelagic unit.

Unlike the recycled 1960 designed units mentioned the inexpensive Pelagic is......

Hold on a second......

Surprise....

W a t er p r o o f

Pelagicautopilot.com

Insert link to dead parrot video for hundreds of not waterproof/rainproof tillerpilots.

It appears from the Pelagic autopilot website that the fitting for the tiller is identical to that on the Simrad and clone.

Intend to purchase in May 2018

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
Tillerpilots are amazingly vulnerable to moisture, for no good reason. If you read the reports of real-life experiences, it seems Simrad fare a bit better than Raymarine. The Raymarine is a lot more money than the TP10. If you're persuaded to go Simrad, I'd go for the TP22, about the same price as the ST1000+. The TP22, like the ST1000+, has NMEA0183 connectivity, which you say you don't want but, believe me, being able to set the boat to steer to a waypoint is a wonderful thing.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I did a lot of searching and went for Simrad as a result of a long term test that I found and promptly lost. Whichever you choose, get it from SVB in Germany - normally way cheaper than here and very quick delivery.

mdonnelly

Visit site
Have had 2 TP22’s in the last 6 years. Both succumbed to water ingress. Really couldn’t face buying a 3rd one so went for the Raymarine. I quite like it. It’s definitely quieter and it responds much more quickly to course changes. I’ve bought a little waterproof cover off eBay to help keep it dry and hopefully live longer! I’ve a water damaged TP22 for sale if it’s of use to anybody! (Now sold)

Last edited:

oldharry

Visit site
I invested in a Raymarine 2000 some years ago. It has never been able to keep a course for any length of time. I have spent almost as much as the original purchase price returning it for testing and repair. Load of old junk and I will never buy Raymarine again! Unfortunately the real problems didnt show up until the years warranty expired.

It can hold a course for several hours sometimes, then go haywire on the next course change. Other times it will be wandering off within 5 minutes of being set. The old AH800 it replaced still works fine so its not local interference. Sadly its not quick enough to keep up with steering under sail which the 2000 will when it wants to! The 2000 always comes up flawless on test. But anything from 5 minutes to several hours after being set it will start wandering off to port or starboard, and left untended the boat will just continue circling, sounding its off course indicator.

Sorry about the fred driff, but if anyone can find a solution! The XXXXXX thing has cost me best of a Grand already being 'fixed'. It still doesnt work, and Im not willing to throw any more money at it.

BTW those cover things, Im suspicious of those too: I got one to protect mine having heard of water ingress probs on Raymarine: Condensation gathers inside them rather defeating the purpose?

Last edited:

fergie_mac66

Visit site
i noticed in certain conditions ours would get condensation on the screen so i opened our st1000 and put a couple sachets of silica gel in, stuck in . once or twice a year depending on weather conditions i change them . In combination with a waterproof jacket internal condensation has gone . I try to keep ours shielded from the strong sun . Its lasted 10 years so far.
too much metalworking some moving under neath to get the compass to work well so used with waypoints and gps

mdonnelly

Visit site
Have had 2 TP22’s in the last 6 years. Both succumbed to water ingress. Really couldn’t face buying a 3rd one so went for the Raymarine. I quite like it. It’s definitely quieter and it responds much more quickly to course changes. I’ve bought a little waterproof cover off eBay to help keep it dry and hopefully live longer! I’ve a water damaged TP22 for sale if it’s of use to anybody!

Bloody hell! Only have it a month and it’s died! Bangor to Peel today and 5 miles outside Peel it just died!!

graham

Visit site
Many thanks for the replies so its definitely one or the other then but both are useless !!

PhillM

Visit site
Cover made by Boogienights of this parish helps my TP stay nice and dry. I am sure she would make for forumites who ask nicely.

Spyro

Visit site
I invested in a Raymarine 2000 some years ago. It has never been able to keep a course for any length of time. I have spent almost as much as the original purchase price returning it for testing and repair. Load of old junk and I will never buy Raymarine again! Unfortunately the real problems didnt show up until the years warranty expired.

It can hold a course for several hours sometimes, then go haywire on the next course change. Other times it will be wandering off within 5 minutes of being set. The old AH800 it replaced still works fine so its not local interference. Sadly its not quick enough to keep up with steering under sail which the 2000 will when it wants to! The 2000 always comes up flawless on test. But anything from 5 minutes to several hours after being set it will start wandering off to port or starboard, and left untended the boat will just continue circling, sounding its off course indicator.

Sorry about the fred driff, but if anyone can find a solution! The XXXXXX thing has cost me best of a Grand already being 'fixed'. It still doesnt work, and Im not willing to throw any more money at it.

BTW those cover things, Im suspicious of those too: I got one to protect mine having heard of water ingress probs on Raymarine: Condensation gathers inside them rather defeating the purpose?

Mine is the same sometimes but not all the time, can't work out why but the only thing to do to fix it is power off and on again. It also intermitently causes interference on the vhf.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
My TP10 lived in the cockpit whenever we were on board. It was still running after about 10 years but starting to sound a bit 'graunchy' when a second hand TP32 came up on here. Now been using that one for 2 seasons and it's really good. TP10 is under bunk for emergency use along with the old autohelm with twiddly compass on top.
Never had a problem with any water in my Simrads.

doug748

Visit site
Many thanks for the replies so its definitely one or the other then but both are useless !!

I have a TP32 which I use as a back up, in fact it is very good and only defeated by very grim conditions, on a four ton boat. As far as I can tell the basic case engineering is similar on the whole range. It always has been a bit noisy, as others have said, but it does the job. There is an O ring on the ram that can become displaced so a bit of silicon grease, now and again, should help. If water does get in, the delicate electricals are inside their own inner case which helps

Unless you have special requirements, I would go for the TP10, the 20 has no useful extra performance and the 32 would be overkill. The Raymarine would be quieter I must admit but this really only bugs me at night.

hpeer

Visit site
My RM 2000 drive died in a remote place. I ordered a replacement. Came with a stuffed gyro out of the box. Ordered a second, cake with a stuffed gyro out of the box. Used gyro out of original unit to fix one of the new units. Newly fixed unit got wet, died. Transferred original circuit board and got home.

Sent whole mess to RM who repaired everything for free. But now I’ve got 3 tiller pilots.

One lasted maybe 150 hours and gyro went squirrely. Replaced with next repaired unit, that lasted under 20 hours and went squirrely.

I’m not buying any more.

PhillM

Visit site
Just done a (for me) set of log passages. Longest Dartmouth to Lymington. Noticed that my TP10 was getting noisy so used a baby wipe to clean the ram and it was find again. I think the belts give out come dust. That said, perfect performance for almost 500 miles in 2 weeks. Lots of it under motor as no wind.