What's the big deal with fenders?

bvickers

Visit site
This weekend, for various reasons we were unable to go out so pottered and fettled the boat. The berth next to us is vacant and used to accommodate visitors. Saturday afternoon, fairly breezy with wind blowing any visitor mooring up on aforementioned berth onto us.

Into the fairway comes charter sailing boat - no bow thruster and crew who are on some sort of sailing course (I.e inexperienced) - on the side facing the pontoon they have three fenders, on the other (the side against my boat) they have one (small). After a bit of a struggle and a few hairy moments, they moor up, not before nearly burying their anchor into my topsides- never mind.

Thing is, this seems to be a regular thing and it seems to apply primarily to sailing boats - having no more than a single fender on the side facing ( in this case) me. This year we've had three near misses with mooring 'mishaps' and every time the boat in question has been a sail boat and they have had a single fender on my side. That's not to mention the ones that have happened when I've not been there....

Now, hands up - I am the owner of a motorboat but don't have thing against sailing boats at all - life is just too short - also, we all make cock ups when mooring up ; that's a given.

The point is this: when I come into a berth, I make sure I've got a decent number of fenders down on both sides - I think it's a courtesy to do this and shows good 'seamanship' i suppose. If I do cock things up, I want to make sure that I cause the least damage to my or my neighbours boat. Is it too much to ask that you sailing folk follow suit?

Why am I posting this on this forum? Before I get slammed for being 'anti-yottie' (as mentioned before I am not and I fully accept that there are inconsiderate, etc mobo's out there), it's just that the single fender thing seems to affect sail boats and mostly charter sail boats, therefore I say to charter skippers out there that whilst you may not give a toss about the boat you're in, I do about mine; please show some consideration; fenders on both sides, please!

Ta.

jac

Visit site
Think it often comes down to how many fenders do charter boats have. We have chartered in the past and found only 4 on board. With that there is no way you can adequately fendered on both sides so have to go for fendering where you know you will need it (I.e. The pontoon side) and make a token effort on the other side on a best guess approach.

l'escargot

Visit site
I put fenders on the outside when in my berth and prefer the other boat coming in on the other finger not to have fenders my side - they snag, ride up and possibly don't do their job if both boats have fenders. When I go into a strange berth or to raft and the other boat has adequate fendering there is no point in me putting more out just to reduce their effectiveness. If they aren't fendered then I will deploy mine - I always run past a strange berth and assess what I need.

Last edited:

bvickers

Visit site
Sure, we do have fenders down on that side but that's not really the point - the onus is surely on both boats to ensure adequate fendering, I would have thought - I can't reasonably be expected to have enough fenders to ensure that if I'm hit, that a fender takes the whack ( unless I place one every 2 feet or so) . In fairness, unreasonable to expect the same of the visiting boat, but the more fenders ( within reason ) decreases the chances of a crunch. Accidents do happen, I believe it's incumbent on both parties to try and reasonably mitigate.

lustyd

Visit site
Think it often comes down to how many fenders do charter boats have. We have chartered in the past and found only 4 on board. With that there is no way you can adequately fendered on both sides so have to go for fendering where you know you will need it (I.e. The pontoon side) and make a token effort on the other side on a best guess approach.

The charter company chose the number of fenders - use them to protect other people's boats and tell the charter company that the damage on the pontoon side is due to the lack of available fenders. As long as you raised the low number of fenders as an issue before you left there's not much they can say regarding deposits because it was them who put you in the position of choosing :)

Visit site
Sure, we do have fenders down on that side but that's not really the point - the onus is surely on both boats to ensure adequate fendering, I would have thought - I can't reasonably be expected to have enough fenders to ensure that if I'm hit, that a fender takes the whack ( unless I place one every 2 feet or so) . In fairness, unreasonable to expect the same of the visiting boat, but the more fenders ( within reason ) decreases the chances of a crunch. Accidents do happen, I believe it's incumbent on both parties to try and reasonably mitigate.

Sorry, I think it is the point. If both boats have fenders out then, as has already been said, they can tangle, ride up and generally fight with each other. If it is a narrow berth with little room for both boats then it becomes even more of a problem.
TBH I rarely use marinas but when I do I usually approach with fenders on both sides. If I see that the other boat already has fenders out then I hook mine out of the way so that no tangling can happen. I might get crew to have a roving fender ready to hand but that would be unusual.
Once I am tied up, the outboard fenders might be deployed again if I think they are needed.

Last edited:

ProMariner

Visit site
What's the big deal with no fenders on the neighbour's side? Most here probably just park their boats with skill and precision. If somebody is going to run their anchor down your topsides, fenders won't help, even a little. An alert marina master, and a good insurance company, are much more useful tools.

Seajet

Visit site
bvickers,

I completely agree with your view.

I think it fair to say I am an experienced sailing boat type, but whenever approaching a marina I rig 4 decent sized fenders on each side, despite always asking the marina office ' which side to ? '.

This covers me for my cock-ups, and in case the bod in the office doesn't know port from starboard, which has been known !

If I can do it singlehanded or with 1 inexperienced crew, I don't see any excuse for other boats not rigging considerate fenders both sides; if the boat is so deficient in design or inventory that not enough fenders can be deployed, those available should be rigged to protect other peoples' property, it's called decency...

Woodlouse

Visit site
I only carry three fenders so at the very least two are going to be on the side I'm going to tie up to. The third might be a rover. I rely on not hitting other boats to avoid the need to carry any more.

Seajet

Visit site
How come I can carry 6 big normal tubular fenders & 2 teardop shape without any effort, could carry more, on a 22' boat ?

Fenders are a mark of consideration for others, not just minimal protection for ones' own boat.

Woodlouse

Visit site
How come I can carry 6 big normal tubular fenders & 2 teardop shape without any effort, could carry more, on a 22' boat ?

Fenders are a mark of consideration for others, not just minimal protection for ones' own boat.
A roving fender is more use than covering your boat in them since it can be placed where necessary. The fenders I have take up more than enough space in the fo'csle without adding more that I've never had the need for.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
A roving fender is all very well if there is a 'rover' available to use it. With two on board both have plenty to do when berthing without running up and down carrying a fender 'just in case'. We rig eight large diameter fenders, four each side, plus a big ball fender on the transom before stern-to berthing. And we still have three fenders in the locker and another ball fender tied astern. We are currently berthed with a Sailing Holidays flotilla, each boat of which seems to have six or eight fenders. Sounds like the charter company in the OP's case are saving money on small items.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
I have never even been close to hitting the other boat at a pontoon. I don't see the need to have fenders every inch and making sure the pontoon is the target rather than another boat has always seemed relatively straight forward.

niccapotamus

Visit site
lordy - there are a lot of dogmatic replies.

surely it is a question whereby circumstances dictate; tide, wind, confidence, number of crew. For instance I couldn't say hand on heart that I've never been close to another boat at a pontoon and on one occasion decided to make fast to the other boat in the marina pontoon (and fenders both sides were very handy at the time) - but I guess we go sailing whatever the weather and have moored up in 30-40Kt winds and I would be very cautious in those circumstances. Reversing out of a berth with a longish keeler is also no fun and a little unpradicatable at times - if you have enough crew then a roving fender can be a great reassurance, as can extra fenders.

so circumstances dictate - like a lot of things, and I can't see how there is a "right" answer for every circumstance.

and quite often charter boats are a bit short on stuff like fenders, bits of rope, even longer bits of rope etc

Stemar

Visit site
I have never even been close to hitting the other boat at a pontoon. I don't see the need to have fenders every inch and making sure the pontoon is the target rather than another boat has always seemed relatively straight forward.

It's (usually) simple enough in straightforward conditions, in a familar marina on a familar boat, but charterers are often on an unfamiliar boat, in an unfamilar marina and conditions aren't always straightforward. Even with a skilled skipper in benign conditions and a familar location, there's always the risk of unexpected failure of engine, lines or crew.