Whats the best stern anchor

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Note that many of the stern anchors illustrated above by Neeves have zero chain. If the boat is not swinging, chafe is a minor concern. I use a kedge (also my stern anchor) with zero chain for the same reason. No problems and easier to handle.

Refueler

Visit site
In the Baltic archipelago there are islands ....... everywhere and where there are not islands there are rocks - a night mare - so less incentive for night passages :( - which are nothing to us.

WOW what an assumption. Channels and passages are well marked / lit ... plus anyone serious about cruising there obtains the Chart set specifically detailed / produced ....
Given that most boats have plotters anyway ... even my old Lowrance with its Mapsource charting was safe ... my Onwa with K charts more than safe enough ....
Don't forget also that the cruising season is when night darkness is very short due to being high latitude ... in fact unless its total heavy cloud c over - it hardly gets dark ...

KAM

Visit site
Interesting discussion. Lots of good points thanks. The new to us boat in Norway has a minute bow roller held to the teak cap strip with two wood screws. Having been out a few times now it is clear there are an almost infinite number of places to tie up alongside completely free or moor bows to rock. It's so deep elsewhere, at one place we could touch a rock wall and still had 200m below the keel, there's really not much need for a bow anchor. The grapnel which came with the boat will be retired though.