What should I install on my new iPad?

BlueChip

Visit site
I've been putting it off for months, but it was my birthday yesterday so I treated myself to a iPad.
What apps do forumites recomend I install?

pappaecho

Visit site
US Airline has just replaced 38 volumes of its aircraft for use by flight engineers by an I pad.
They say that carting around thousands of pages of Brazilian rainforest made no sense, volume, weight wise etc. Claims o save 200,000 gallons of fuel a year.
Dont say what happens when the battery goes flat, but I like the idea of having all the boats manuals etc as pdf's on the Ipad. I dont know about charts, but this must be the beginning..

oldvarnish

Visit site
The Imray app is good, with loads of charts for not much money, but you need to put the time in to fully understand it.

The Navionics app is less feature rich, but simpler to use.

No substitute for paper charts, of course, but very nice to have with you at home for planning etc.

And there's tides for the entire world for £2.99 but I can't remember the name.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Bit of thread drift. Heard Martin Whitmarsh (team principal, McClaren) being interviewed at the Belgian GP practice today. On radio. They asked him to explain the radar weather picture. "I can't tell you" he said "I'm totally colour blind"

elton

www.boatit.co.uk
Bit of thread drift. Heard Martin Whitmarsh (team principal, McClaren) being interviewed at the Belgian GP practice today. On radio. They asked him to explain the radar weather picture. "I can't tell you" he said "I'm totally colour blind"
More thread drift: I was the world's first colour blind colour television repair man. Rediffusion, 1980.

I'd probably buy an iPad if they made a monochrome one, readable in daylight.

Visit site
In short - not a lot that cant just as easily be achieved on other gadgets. :) But then you bought the IPad because you fancied and IPad and are now wondering what use it is.

Been there, done that, Gadgets are nice

st599

Visit site
ummm - and when there's no internet connection? Kind of restricts you to within sight of land too.

Make no mistake ( we develop field data collection systems ) when you need it most there will be zero signal!

Dropbox on Linux maintains an Rsync local backup. Similar on iPad?

Vara

Visit site
If your manuals are PDF you put them into Ibooks so you don't need to access internet.(assuming you are not constrained by storage).

Imray app is good,but takes some getting used to.
Photobucket.
Telegraph.
Good Reader.
Photo resizer.
Navfree, UK&ROI
Tidesplan 11
Tripadvisor
Google suite.
Tunein Radio.
XC Weather.
iGrib

In addition I arrange my bookmarks in boxes on home screen as I find that more convenient than leaving them all in Safari.

Last edited: