Cap popped off Yanmar 2GM, how to replace?

ridgy

Visit site
Further to my post yesterday about a water leak, the culprit turned out to be this grey cap that popped off the right hand side below the first injector. Seems to be just a case of tapping it back in but should I use some sort of glue or sealant?
I have some hylomar blue to hand if that would do it.
I didn't know this could happen, luckily it was on the hard. Would be a bitch at sea, have to remove the starter and air intake to get to it.

Attachments

• IMG_20240501_120805343_HDR_1101x619_200.jpg
    IMG_20240501_120805343_HDR_1101x619_200.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 9

SvenH

Visit site
Check for rust where it was before.
I had one pop two seasons back after forgetting to winterize and a sudden freeze.
It had a lot of rust which looked horrendous but cleaned up nicely.
Fitted the old plug back with some loctite but do not know which one.

wonkywinch

Visit site
Check for rust where it was before.
I had one pop two seasons back after forgetting to winterize and a sudden freeze.
It had a lot of rust which looked horrendous but cleaned up nicely.
Fitted the old plug back with some loctite but do not know which one.
I would use a new core plug and Hylotyte or similar. Loctite is thread locking compound, Hylotyte etc is for sealing gaskets etc.

Hylotyte® Red 100

It's usually a freeze that pops core plugs as my early experience with Ford Cortina engines taught me. Check your antifreeze mixture at the same time.

Refueler

Visit site
Further to my post yesterday about a water leak, the culprit turned out to be this grey cap that popped off the right hand side below the first injector. Seems to be just a case of tapping it back in but should I use some sort of glue or sealant?
I have some hylomar blue to hand if that would do it.
I didn't know this could happen, luckily it was on the hard. Would be a bitch at sea, have to remove the starter and air intake to get to it.

This is EXACTLY what I posted about on your previous question thread .... 2GM Water hose

Clean up the hole ... DO NOT use this old plug again as it has had its circumference compressed by its being fitted before ...

Get a new plug .. eBay has plenty or take it to a motor factors and get same size new ... you will notice that a new one - the outer ring has a slight angle to it .. circumference is slightly greater at outer ring than inner ... this gives it the holding power when pressed in - it needs careful tapping in with a suitable large drift to keep it straight as it goes in ... Only press it in till its flush with outside level of hole.

It does not need any Hermetite or addition ...

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
Better still, this thread links to the service manual which, on page 95, shows how to replace the core plugs. It suggests replacing as a pair if one has gone.

Yanmar 2GM20 Service Manual PDF

NEVER try to put back old plugs - even if the look good ... because they have been compressed from being fitted before ...

Refueler

Visit site
Let me post this again :

NEVER use an old used core plug. The circumference has been compressed and does not have the 'friction' to hold in place ...

Use of Hermetite or locking compound is not good idea ... and as long as you clean the hole .. use a new core plug - 'glue' is totally unnecessary.