Weighing yourself on a boat

capnsensible

Visit site
And expect the health service to cater for their unhealthy physique - that could be made more healthy (for some) by simple exercise and a more sensible diet.

We often queue up at the airline desk. A wisp of a girl, say 50kg, is paying for excess baggage, she has 30kg not the regulation 20kg. It costs her a fortune. Between she and us is an overweight gentleman, who turns out to have the correct weight of luggage. He probably tips the scales at 110kg (I'm 70kg), the young lady maybe 50kg (one does not ask) - she pays excessively for her extra 10kg of luggage, he pays nothing extra (but effectively hopes there are lots of underweight passengers).

But the airlines dare not charge the passengers, for being overweight, its not PC. But who is paying for the 'extra' fuel and the increase in greenhouse gases caused by the burning of the extra fuel (demanded as a right) by the unhealthy. Some are so obese they cannot sit in their seat without lifting the armrest - directly impacting their neighbour.

And they expect us to be both sympathetic and PC.

I'm sorry the OP finds I'm patronising, but glad he is doing something about his situation - but overweight people directly impact the healthy portion of the population in our pockets. In the majority of cases the solution is in their hands.

Jonathan

Even skinny people have bones :)
Strewth. :rolleyes:

Bouba

Visit site
At school there was a fat kid, a poor kid (who’s party trick was to eat ants, not that I was aware of anyone inviting him to parties) and there was a foreign kid (who could speak double Dutch…I’m guessing he was from the Netherlands).
It’s a different world now

johnalison

Visit site
At school there was a fat kid, a poor kid (who’s party trick was to eat ants, not that I was aware of anyone inviting him to parties) and there was a foreign kid (who could speak double Dutch…I’m guessing he was from the Netherlands).
Twins?

johnalison

Visit site
Good one👍🏻 yes a set of twins
No one was dyslexic, autistic nor suffering from attention deficit disorder. We just had children who couldn’t read, strange children and naughty children
I must have been in a different demographic - most of ours were thick.

Stemar

Visit site
And are you lean and mean now or still a portly gentleman?
I hope I'm never mean, and I'm certainly not lean, but, at 84kg and 5'10", with a 36" waist, the NHS thinks I'm overweight, but I don't feel I am. I'm also 15kg lighter than I was a few years ago. It was hard work getting the weight off, and I certainly don;t want to put it back on!

Else you got no pudding? And had too much heaped onto the plate in the 1st place?
Something like that. Of course, it's all my Mum's fault, nothing to do with me being a greedy git :)

Bouba

Visit site
I must have been in a different demographic - most of ours were thick.
We moved a lot....and I went to many schools...so I think I covered the nation’s demographics. But my brother was thick, so perhaps he was the level that I judged the others by

Supertramp

Visit site
Apparently, and for me this is good news, weight is the wrong measurement. What you should be measuring is your waist and your height. Your height needs to be twice or more your waist size. I can pass that test easily, though my BMI is higher than reccommended.
I have a similar situation, compounded by my recent NHS healthcheck telling me I was officially overweight. Much dieting and drinking discussion followed. My son solved the problem by checking my vital statistics to an American website instead of a UK one which told me I was actually a healthy weight and perhaps a bit shy of the average.

That's what children are for!

Neeves

Visit site
I have a similar situation, compounded by my recent NHS healthcheck telling me I was officially overweight. Much dieting and drinking discussion followed. My son solved the problem by checking my vital statistics to an American website instead of a UK one which told me I was actually a healthy weight and perhaps a bit shy of the average.

That's what children are for!
And the weight of an average American is one to which one should aspire....

Jonathan

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
The waist measurement thing is in the news at the moment. It’s an ‘in conjunction’ thing rather than a new, complete guiding light. I am 173cm and 79kg. Which puts me as overweight, not massively. But my waist is 84cm. I don’t have a lot of body fat. As an Aussie at an Etchells class weigh in said, ‘Christ mate, you must have depleted uranium bones!’

Bouba

Visit site
The waist measurement thing is in the news at the moment. It’s an ‘in conjunction’ thing rather than a new, complete guiding light. I am 173cm and 79kg. Which puts me as overweight, not massively. But my waist is 84cm. I don’t have a lot of body fat. As an Aussie at an Etchells class weigh in said, ‘Christ mate, you must have depleted uranium bones!’
A 33 inch waist can’t be overweight on any scale

Bouba

Visit site
According to the BMI scale I am. My BMI is 26.3. 25 is the top of the healthy range.
I think most body builders and strength athletes would fail a BMI...it’s a flawed test that works great in a population but not for the individual....skin fold tests are probably better...and submersion tank best of all

Bouba

Visit site
Submerging is a talent of mine, I sink like a stone.
When deciding whether or not you need to do something about your body, the mirror is your best friend. And not just any old mirror....go to a clothes shop with a changing room that has lots of mirrors that can see you from angles that normally you can’t see, in other words how people see you. I was truly shocked in Decathlon (as were the other shoppers)

johnalison

Visit site
When deciding whether or not you need to do something about your body, the mirror is your best friend. And not just any old mirror....go to a clothes shop with a changing room that has lots of mirrors that can see you from angles that normally you can’t see, in other words how people see you. I was truly shocked in Decathlon (as were the other shoppers)
It always mystifies me how people who can single-handedly block a pavement fit for three abreast manage to get through a day without seeing themselves in a mirror, or at least a reflection, or are too obtuse to draw the obvious conclusions.