Weighing yourself on a boat

Boathook

Visit site
If you look back at the ‘40s and ‘50s nobody was fat, and the most obvious thing in photos is that everyone was wearing a flat cap, ccasionally a bowler. Ergo, to stay slim, wear a hat.
I started wearing a base ball cap and flat cap to protect my nearly bald head from the sun and 'knocks'. So far no real success in losing weight.
Only positive outcome is that I told the flat cap suits me ...........

laika

Visit site
50 years ago our parents did all of these things (few owned a yacht - but they washed the car and cut the grass) - they did not worry about weight
Plenty of tubby people in the 70s. Are you maybe thinking more 70-80 years ago?

Back then everyone smoked and cheese and onion crisps hadn't been invented

johnalison

Visit site
Plenty of tubby people in the 70s. Are you maybe thinking more 70-80 years ago?

Back then everyone smoked and cheese and onion crisps hadn't been invented
In the '50s crisps were a very occasional treat, perhaps once a month for many of us, not the daily staple for schoolchildren that we see now. Out of a school of 350 I can only remember one boy who could be called fat, and another a bit chubby. How they managed it on school food I have no idea. I couldn't say about the '70s; probably the beginning of the rot had set in.

Bouba

Visit site
I will go further…look at films from the 70’s …people were definitely a lot slimmer the world over

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't bother losing weight if you are a yachtsman . The more fat the better. If you fall over the side, more muscle and less fat is only going to make you sink quicker.

"A person of 100kg weighs 5kg in the water. This is explained as follows: the 80% of a person's weight is water (80kg), which has no weight in the water, and about 15% is fat (15kg), which is lighter than water. "

Bouba

Visit site
Listen to all you fat people 😯….you are physically disgusting 🤢 and I am ashamed to be seen associating with you

Daydream believer

Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't bother losing weight if you are a yachtsman . The more fat the better. If you fall over the side, more muscle and less fat is only going to make you sink quicker.

"A person of 100kg weighs 5kg in the water. This is explained as follows: the 80% of a person's weight is water (80kg), which has no weight in the water, and about 15% is fat (15kg), which is lighter than water. "
So why do life jackets need to be 165 newton? ( 10 newtons support 1KG so that is 16.5 KG)
Is it because in your calculation it forgets to take in to account that most of the buoyancy is in the mid part & the head is very heavy. Hence, a body floats a.. se up & head down.
Handy for parking your kayak. But all the MOBs I know would soon start complaining if one were to paddle in a bit too early.

Neeves

Visit site
Listen to all you fat people 😯….you are physically disgusting 🤢 and I am ashamed to be seen associating with you
And expect the health service to cater for their unhealthy physique - that could be made more healthy (for some) by simple exercise and a more sensible diet.

We often queue up at the airline desk. A wisp of a girl, say 50kg, is paying for excess baggage, she has 30kg not the regulation 20kg. It costs her a fortune. Between she and us is an overweight gentleman, who turns out to have the correct weight of luggage. He probably tips the scales at 110kg (I'm 70kg), the young lady maybe 50kg (one does not ask) - she pays excessively for her extra 10kg of luggage, he pays nothing extra (but effectively hopes there are lots of underweight passengers).

But the airlines dare not charge the passengers, for being overweight, its not PC. But who is paying for the 'extra' fuel and the increase in greenhouse gases caused by the burning of the extra fuel (demanded as a right) by the unhealthy. Some are so obese they cannot sit in their seat without lifting the armrest - directly impacting their neighbour.

And they expect us to be both sympathetic and PC.

I'm sorry the OP finds I'm patronising, but glad he is doing something about his situation - but overweight people directly impact the healthy portion of the population in our pockets. In the majority of cases the solution is in their hands.

Jonathan

Even skinny people have bones :)

Neeves

Visit site
In the '50s crisps were a very occasional treat, perhaps once a month for many of us, not the daily staple for schoolchildren that we see now. Out of a school of 350 I can only remember one boy who could be called fat, and another a bit chubby. How they managed it on school food I have no idea. I couldn't say about the '70s; probably the beginning of the rot had set in.

Our school was a bit bigger, 750 pupils (co-ed). I only recall one notably overweight boy - he was nicknamed 'Jelly Belly'. There were no notably overweight girls.

You can understand where my sensitive nature and political correctness were honed.

Jonathan

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Apparently, and for me this is good news, weight is the wrong measurement. What you should be measuring is your waist and your height. Your height needs to be twice or more your waist size. I can pass that test easily, though my BMI is higher than reccommended.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
So why do life jackets need to be 165 newton? ( 10 newtons support 1KG so that is 16.5 KG)
Is it because in your calculation it forgets to take in to account that most of the buoyancy is in the mid part & the head is very heavy. Hence, a body floats a.. se up & head down.
Handy for parking your kayak. But all the MOBs I know would soon start complaining if one were to paddle in a bit too early.
Yes. 175 Newtons recommended for the extra stuff that decent yachtsman carry i.e.
sabre, armoured tights, sea boots etc..

Stemar

Visit site
In secondary school, my class of 30-ish had a three or four overweight kids. I was one of them - the stereotypical fat kid who had to do a cross country run because he wasn't good enough for football (winter) or cricket (summer), so ended up walking around the course at the back of the group. I was always chubby because I was brought up to clear my plate.

Bouba

Visit site
In secondary school, my class of 30-ish had a three or four overweight kids. I was one of them - the stereotypical fat kid who had to do a cross country run because he wasn't good enough for football (winter) or cricket (summer), so ended up walking around the course at the back of the group. I was always chubby because I was brought up to clear my plate.
And are you lean and mean now or still a portly gentleman?