Weighing yourself on a boat

Neeves

Visit site
There are exceptions but weight is largely a late 20th early 21st Century concern - hence the growth of the gym industry. In the 1950s how many of out parents were fat, how many of the them felt the need to go to a gym.

Wash the car by hand, mow the grass, dig the garden, run (not walk) 10,000 steps, or run 5,000 steps carrying 20l of water, retrieve the anchor by hand, row don't use the outboard. Vacuum the house, clean the kitchen floor, wash your own windows.

Just do some sensible exercises, eat more veg, stop worrying and think yourself lucky you have a yacht and could be fit and healthy (its your choice).

50 years ago our parents did all of these things (few owned a yacht - but they washed the car and cut the grass) - they did not worry about weight

Having spent a couple of weeks, about 15 years ago, in hospital on a drip - if you want to lose weight stop eating (keeping it off is more difficult). Don't blame others for your weight issues - its up to you. As far as I know weighing yourself will not make you thinner, its too sedentary :)

Jonathan

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
There are exceptions but weight is largely a late 20th early 21st Century concern - hence the growth of the gym industry. In the 1950s how many of out parents were fat, how many of the them felt the need to go to a gym.

Wash the car by hand, mow the grass, dig the garden, run (not walk) 10,000 steps, or run 5,000 steps carrying 20l of water, retrieve the anchor by hand, row don't use the outboard. Vacuum the house, clean the kitchen floor, wash your own windows.

Just do some sensible exercises, eat more veg, stop worrying and think yourself lucky you have a yacht and could be fit and healthy (its your choice).

50 years ago our parents did all of these things (few owned a yacht - but they washed the car and cut the grass) - they did not worry about weight

Having spent a couple of weeks, about 15 years ago, in hospital on a drip - if you want to lose weight stop eating (keeping it off is more difficult). Don't blame others for your weight issues - its up to you. As far as I know weighing yourself will not make you thinner, its too sedentary :)

Jonathan

Thank you for your absolutely delightful post. It would have been so easy to be patronising or condescending How you manage to sidestep these pitfalls is a joy to behold.

If only we were all as wise as you!

— W

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
It's a lot less like hard work living on a boat when you do it properly.

- W
If we’d bought a boat that was designed for living on, it would be easier to do it properly. In fact, it’s a number of years since we’ve had the opportunity for over a week on board, and when we last did, we had the additional jobs and responsibilities of having two young children with us. Our concerns were not over much centred on our nutrition, you don't die of that in a fortnight.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Losing weight is difficult for me because I carry a lot of muscle and I am a compulsive eater

I feel your pain.
If we’d bought a boat that was designed for living on, it would be easier to do it properly. In fact, it’s a number of years since we’ve had the opportunity for over a week on board, and when we last did, we had the additional jobs and responsibilities of having two young children with us. Our concerns were not over much centred on our nutrition, you don't die of that in a fortnight.
True. We live aboard half the year, so a very different situation.

- W

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
If you look back at the ‘40s and ‘50s nobody was fat, and the most obvious thing in photos is that everyone was wearing a flat cap, ccasionally a bowler. Ergo, to stay slim, wear a hat.
I now find hat wearing essential as my natural ‘hat has gone AWOL. I have not yet noticed any effect on my waistline.

Neeves

Visit site
Thank you for your absolutely delightful post. It would have been so easy to be patronising or condescending How you manage to sidestep these pitfalls is a joy to behold.

If only we were all as wise as you!

— W

You are most welcome. I should learn. Much better to shovel truth under the carpet and be conscious of many who simply lack will power.

Its amazing what 14 days in hospital on a drip does for your sympathetic processes for some, not all, who are obese. The trouble is many cannot be bothered and dislike the truth. My father was a POW, having been shot down over the North Sea. He too was not obese when he escaped and was picked up by the advancing Americans. Its all mostly diet and/or exercise - lack of one and too much of the other.

Apart from my enforced sojourn in hospital I've managed to maintain my weight at 70kg for decades but we don't employ window cleaners, don't use the car wash and did our own AF etc.

Edit

Having looked at your reaction to other posts - if you have a genetic gene as a result of which you are heavier than you would like - I sincerely apologise. Otherwise the answer is in your hands.

Jonathan

Last edited:

Mister E

Visit site
Like Stingo you have only bought half a boat a monohull. To get the scales to work you need the rest of the boat the other hull.

Bouba

Visit site
An old fashioned dial scale is probably best…even though a digital scale usually has the same spring mechanism, the inability to settle sends the LCD screen haywire. Whereas a dial just keeps adjusting and you can get a good approximation