Wayfarer for a fat bloke

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I cant be bothered to comment on all the dissections of my Post above. I will say this. No it is not a drying mooring and

I am 61 and kind of know what I am doing. Too much advice just sort of sounds like Preaching and no one likes that now do they

ylop

Visit site
I am 61 and kind of know what I am doing.
Sorry I mistakenly thought you were asking for advice from people with knowledge rather than just giving us another life update. Enjoy the wayfarer I hope you and Mrs BP avoid getting clunked on the head, and costly breakages or terrifying moments.
Too much advice just sort of sounds like Preaching and no one likes that now do they
I don’t know people of your generation and above seem to still like going to church on Sundays to get preached at… so some must.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Sorry I mistakenly thought you were asking for advice from people with knowledge rather than just giving us another life update. Enjoy the wayfarer I hope you and Mrs BP avoid getting clunked on the head, and costly breakages or terrifying moments.

I don’t know people of your generation and above seem to still like going to church on Sundays to get preached at… so some must.
I am not adverse to help and advice but I am afraid you dissect all the posts and kind of Preach on every bit. Thanks for the help

We dont tend to go to Church very much

Offshore57

Visit site
Very interested in this thread, wife and i are thinking about learning to sail, we have two boats, a Princess 415 and a 7.4m Rib but have always wondered about the sailing side of things, we see a lot of them and some look seriously complicated with rope and cables everywhere for tripping over etc. Maybe a small (ish) dinghy like some of the offerings on here have mentioned and a lesson or three.....Hmmmmm.
Plumbs raises some good points age and flexibility wise, we are about the same.

ylop

Visit site
Very interested in this thread, wife and i are thinking about learning to sail, we have two boats, a Princess 415 and a 7.4m Rib but have always wondered about the sailing side of things, we see a lot of them and some look seriously complicated with rope and cables everywhere for tripping over etc. Maybe a small (ish) dinghy like some of the offerings on here have mentioned and a lesson or three.....Hmmmmm.
Plumbs raises some good points age and flexibility wise, we are about the same.
There are good arguments for learning in dinghies if you want to become proficient BUT dinghies:
  • capsize
  • have low booms
  • have nowhere to go for a pee
  • are often moved about on land with human power
  • tack / gybe quite suddenly (and "stall" if you don't because they have less inertia)
  • need you to constantly move your weight around to balance the boat, at the very least every time you tack/gybe
  • tend to be sailed in more confined waters where tacking/gybing is a repeating event
Those are features that make them less suited to older or less flexible/mobile people.

So a dinghy is certainly an option, but don't discount the possibility of a small (?) yacht. Many RYA training centres will do a 1 day "start yachting" course.

Puffin10032

Visit site
Those are features that make them less suited to older or less flexible/mobile people.

I'm in my mid 70s and still sailing dinghies. Mike McNamara is still winning national championships. I believe he's older than me but I don't know by how many years. Alan Warren is still sailing Merlin Rockets and I believe he's about 90.

xyachtdave

Visit site
I cant be bothered to comment on all the dissections of my Post above. I will say this. No it is not a drying mooring and

I am 61 and kind of know what I am doing. Too much advice just sort of sounds like Preaching and no one likes that now do they

Shame you've just missed the RYA'S 'Discover Sailing' weekends nationwide and was at a club near you I'm sure.

Could've saved you the hassle of buying a sailing boat to see if you like.

Corona Mia

Visit site
I am not adverse to help and advice but I am afraid you dissect all the posts and kind of Preach on every bit. Thanks for the help

We dont tend to go to Church very much
BP…..please don’t worry. I’ve had 2 Wayfarers and never managed to capsize one even when racing.
Some might mention I wasn’t trying hard enough!😜
Great for a leisurely cruise in calm waters (like Poole Harbour) but strong enough to comfortably ride large waves
in the North Sea.
A small light outboard (up to 4hp) could enhance your Wayfarer experience, and maybe today’s electric OB’s
would be even better.
It’s no surprise that when I was learning to sail, they were the ‘choice’ of most sailing schools.
They hold their value well, have lots of storage (for picnics), floorboards (so no wet feet), and are kind and
gentle…….bit like your fave. Labrador (if you’re a dog person).

It’s true that they are heavy (in sailing dinghy terms)…..but compared with a 16 foot rib with a large motor
you would be pleasantly suprised.😀

Boathook

Visit site
BP…..please don’t worry. I’ve had 2 Wayfarers and never managed to capsize one even when racing.
Some might mention I wasn’t trying hard enough!😜
Great for a leisurely cruise in calm waters (like Poole Harbour) but strong enough to comfortably ride large waves
in the North Sea.
A small light outboard (up to 4hp) could enhance your Wayfarer experience, and maybe today’s electric OB’s
would be even better.
It’s no surprise that when I was learning to sail, they were the ‘choice’ of most sailing schools.
They hold their value well, have lots of storage (for picnics), floorboards (so no wet feet), and are kind and
gentle…….bit like your fave. Labrador (if you’re a dog person).

It’s true that they are heavy (in sailing dinghy terms)…..but compared with a 16 foot rib with a large motor
you would be pleasantly suprised.😀
I rescued 3 people from a capsized Wayfarer once. They couldn't get it back upright. Much to GC horror I suggested that the RNLI come and collect the semi submerged dinghy before a boat hit and then even more people would require rescuing. RNLI came out in 10 minutes or so Dinghy owner was something to do with local RNLI so I suspect that it cost a few beers and some piss taking !

ylop

Visit site
I'm in my mid 70s and still sailing dinghies. Mike McNamara is still winning national championships. I believe he's older than me but I don't know by how many years. Alan Warren is still sailing Merlin Rockets and I believe he's about 90.
I'm not for one minute suggesting there aren't plenty of old codgers STILL sailing dinghies, I'm suggesting it might not be the classic time to take it up, and that other forms of sailing MIGHT be a more gentle introduction.

Dino

Visit site
I’m a keen sailer and a keen motorboater. I’ve done countless offshore races on everything up a canting keel 50 footer, done way too many regattas to list and raced SB20 and J24 keelboats for years. I spent a lot of my 20’s and 30’s hanging out of various sailing boats/yachts. It’s a great sport and I’m always amazed that more Mobo owners don’t get into some sailing.
Lots of clubs are now offering keelboat training courses, run on J80’s or similar. Some clubs, like my own, use members boats to bring people out for lessons.
BL, it would be worth looking for a club offering this type of tuition. Many owners are of sailboats are crying out for both racing and cruising crew. That’s also a great way to learn with minimal outlay. Sailing is also a very sociable sport so it’s worth getting involved with a club.

Dino

Visit site
Sometimes that’s not actually the attraction that sociable people think it is. Sailing can also be an excellent sport for people who would just like to be alone (or at least alone with those they choose!).
Yes, I agree. But there is a huge benefit to getting proper instruction from a club/recognised training establishment.

ylop

Visit site
Yes, I agree. But there is a huge benefit to getting proper instruction from a club/recognised training establishment.
You won’t get me arguing with that. I’d also say there’s a huge variety of instructors, clubs, schools etc, and approaches, so whether someone wants 1:1, small groups of similar ages, cheapest way possible, or a beach holiday in the med, all female crew, intensive or an hour or two a week there will be a way to do it. One of the advantages of a professional school is they are likely to come across a wide range of personalities, backgrounds etc and the good ones will adapt to the students.

Hurricane

Visit site
You won’t get me arguing with that. I’d also say there’s a huge variety of instructors, clubs, schools etc, and approaches, so whether someone wants 1:1, small groups of similar ages, cheapest way possible, or a beach holiday in the med, all female crew, intensive or an hour or two a week there will be a way to do it. One of the advantages of a professional school is they are likely to come across a wide range of personalities, backgrounds etc and the good ones will adapt to the students.
Or at my old club - just outside London on the huge Queen Mother Reservoir.
See here
Adult Courses : Datchet Water Sailing Club
It seems that the old club Wayfarers are still available.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I’m a keen sailer and a keen motorboater. I’ve done countless offshore races on everything up a canting keel 50 footer, done way too many regattas to list and raced SB20 and J24 keelboats for years. I spent a lot of my 20’s and 30’s hanging out of various sailing boats/yachts. It’s a great sport and I’m always amazed that more Mobo owners don’t get into some sailing.
Lots of clubs are now offering keelboat training courses, run on J80’s or similar. Some clubs, like my own, use members boats to bring people out for lessons.
BL, it would be worth looking for a club offering this type of tuition. Many owners are of sailboats are crying out for both racing and cruising crew. That’s also a great way to learn with minimal outlay. Sailing is also a very sociable sport so it’s worth getting involved with a club.
Some good advice there. I am afraid however the fact that the head bloke at most Sailing Clubs is called a Commodore kind of makes me fall about laughing and I cant take them seriously. I trust most clubs know that kind of makes then the laughing stock in the non boating world.

ribdriver

Visit site
I have a Wanderer which is the slightly smaller version of the Wayfarer at 14ft, same designer, looks almost identical except slightly shorter and lighter.
I have a steel centreboard - and I believe you can get one for the Wayfarer as well. - it's an official 'modification' Makes the thing incredibly stable but still a dinghy.
Plenty about for similar money.

Mr Googler

Visit site
Some good advice there. I am afraid however the fact that the head bloke at most Sailing Clubs is called a Commodore kind of makes me fall about laughing and I cant take them seriously. I trust most clubs know that kind of makes then the laughing stock in the non boating world.
You ever actually been to a sailing club? I’ve met some of my best mates via dinghy sailing and the beer is cheap. Many a happy memory rolling in at 3am……the commodore was closer to 4am