water proofing winter cover

Captain Coochie

Visit site
I am thinking of using my old canopy for a winter cover to save my new one :D taking a winters worth of bird poop :( Problem is the old one leaks so i wondered if there was a way to water proof it ? Ive been using the paint on stuff on it for ages and it doesnt really work .
I have a workshop and a spray set up so if there is a sprayable product then that would be great .

Edit . I wonder if those wax strips the major uses for his mankini lines would work ?

lw395

Visit site
Thomson's water seal works to some extent.
It's cheap.
I'm tempted to suggest bitumen is sprayable and effective....

dingdongs

Visit site
this is as good as it gets,look herehttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Grangers-Fabsil-Waterproofer-5-Litres-/270643409670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f039ab306 would steer away from the sprays as by the time you've covered it a cheaper cover will be cheaper.u can spray it on with a mr muscle bottle or similar.

Last edited:

rob2

Visit site
Not quite so easy to use, but for true waterproofing you could emulate a Barber jacket and paint on parafin wax in a base of parafin. Don't overdo it, though, or it will remain sticky and rub off onto everything around it. I used to reproof my motorcycle jacket from time to time and could always get straight to the bar as everyone moved away from the smell!

Rob.

lw395

Visit site
Not quite so easy to use, but for true waterproofing you could emulate a Barber jacket and paint on parafin wax in a base of parafin. Don't overdo it, though, or it will remain sticky and rub off onto everything around it. I used to reproof my motorcycle jacket from time to time and could always get straight to the bar as everyone moved away from the smell!

Rob.

Where do you get the wax?
Do you just dissolve it in parafin sold for heating?

I have a boat cover to do, and I'm willing to try....
The Thompson stuff works OK for about a year, but it is not as good now it's gone solvent free.

Neil

Visit site
I save my new cover by using a cheap polyprop tarpaulin. A couple of tarpaulin snap-on rings and bungy cords do a grand job..........

rob2

Visit site
Where do you get the wax?
Do you just dissolve it in parafin sold for heating?

I have a boat cover to do, and I'm willing to try....

The wax is sold by outdoors shops or motorcycle shops for wax jackets. Yes you just dissolve it in warm parafin - that's why it smells so bad at first - but it makes it very easy to paint on a thin coating.

Rob.

alan006

Visit site
You can paint a single coat of gloss dulux weathershield straight ontop of the canopy. This paint is flexable enough to cope with movement in the fabric. I have seen this used and it works well.You may be surprised how well this works.