Volvo Speedseal

pjreeve

Visit site
Hi

I've got a boat with a volvo speed seal already fitted. I know I have to grease it before the boat is launched. I've had a quick look but I am not sure how to do it. I also know the air needs bleeding out once the boat is in the water. I believe you just squeeze it.

I would be grateful if someone who knows could pass on the above information.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cantata

Visit site
They supply a rubber lubricant that you squeeze into the seal, annually.
Each time after you have dried out, 'burp' the seal by pinching it at the top between your fingers. You'll hear air hiss out, then water (and then let it go!).
Brilliant device, had them on 2 boats, never a problem. And I dry out in my berth.

Ranger

Visit site
I assume you are talking about the shaft seal.

You can get a tube of Volvo grease for the purpose - squeeze in 1cc under the lip of the seal. They recommend once per year or every 100 hours.

To burp the seal, just squeeze lip between fingers when afloat. You will hear air come out and get a few drops of water. It is important to do this every time you dry out.

ninnes

Visit site
Its important to state that the grease should be injected whilst ashore / dried out and not once in the water. The burping is done when in the water. You cannot effectively inject grease when in water. I love them and can't imagine fiting any other type of shaft seal

jerryat

Visit site
Hi samwise,

I've used Blakes Seacock Grease on mine for the last 16 years, it's perfect and it was 4 1/2 years old when I bought the boat! Never leaked a drop.

I put a very generous dollop in the corner of a decent strength polythene bag. Then cut off the corner to give a slot about 8mm long. Squeeze the seal upwards (as if bleeding it when you launch) slide the cut corner into the seal, roll up the rest of the 'bag' (a bit like squeezing out icing suger onto a cake) and squeeze the grease into the seal. Because you lose some during this high tech operation, you need the big dollop mentioned earlier!! Other friends ('cos they're really stingy!!) use Keenol, and that seems fine as well. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hope this helps,

Cheers Jerry