Volvo Penta Outdrive oil!

psvpilot59

Visit site
Hi Folks,

I havn't posted for a while, as I've managed to keep going up to now by picking the brains of other boaters in my Marina. (Naburn..near York) I have a Fairline Holiday. It's chocked up at the moment and like lots of us, I'm getting it ready for Re-Launch. While about to fill my Outdrive with EP 80-90 gear oil , as I had been told to do by a certain "Marine Engineer", another Marine Engineer spotted me and said I was using the wrong oil!!! He said that my Outdrive, being a Volvo Penta 270 leg, with a petrol engine, I should use GTX car engine oil! Hence this Post!!!! Who is correct ....if any? Regards......LCM

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

I second that - engine oil! Whatever you put in the engine, whether it be petrol or diesel. Others will tell you this is a waste of money, but I have always used Volvo-Penta engine oil which gives me peace of mind.

Regards
Nigel

<hr width=100% size=1>Medway Motor Yacht Club
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mmyc.co.uk>http://www.mmyc.co.uk</A>

psvpilot59

Visit site
Thanks a lot for that Scottie! That'll do for me. As a matter of (no) interest...before I got the boat, my hobby was flying and being a Scot, my mates called me the Flying Scot!!! I'm assuming you are indeed a Scot from your name, but I've just realised that maybe your name is Scot!!!

regards

LCM

<hr width=100% size=1>

psvpilot59

Visit site
Much obliged for that Nigel. A friend of mine in the same Marina has just put EP 80-90 in his newly refurbished petrol engined outdrive. He was there when the Engineer told me it was wrong. He said he would ring Keypart in the morning and ask them. I thought..."No need to wait till morning mate, I'll just ask the 'Old Hands' on the MBY Forum!!!!

It's great! Anything I need to know? It's, here!

Regards

LCM

<hr width=100% size=1>

tr7v8

Visit site
Question was asked a week or so ago it turns out it's engine oil for single props and gear oil for duo-props. I assume yours is Single prop.

<hr width=100% size=1>Jim

Draco 2500

oldgit

Visit site
Key part ses ord engine oil.Thick gloopy 90 stuff is not recommended in single prop jobby.Did mine 280T today.Takes around 2.6 litres.

<hr width=100% size=1>Oooh look its still not dark and its nearly 5pm

tr7v8

Visit site
Err, one of us is loosing the plot, isn't that what I said /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>Jim

Draco 2500

oldgit

Visit site
OK OK OK you said it first./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>Oooh look its still not dark and its nearly 5pm