Volvo Penta MD-22 Seized / Repair or Replace?

Baroudeur

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm on the south coast of the UK. Came back after lockdown to find my engine had seized (it was last run in Nov '19). Seacock was closed and I have an anti-syphon valve on there too, but it's stuck fast. My local engineer says it's a full rebuild or replace the engine. I would appreciate any further opinion on that if you have any relevant experience!

I've been waiting for a quote to repower for a bit now, so felt it was time to look about. Can anyone recommend a Volvo Penta dealer who'd be able to supply/fit a replacement, and quote fairly quickly for the whole job? Preferably within the bounds of the central / eastern south coast, as I'm not heading very far without any power..

Many thanks!

Baroudeur

Visit site
Do you know why it's seized? I think I'd want to find out before accepting someone's opinion that the only options are "a full rebuild or replace the engine".
I don't. The assumption (based on his experience) was that sea water had made it's way into the cylinders by how stuck fast it was. The engine is the originally fitted one, and is now some 20 years old. It's history to me, prior to 2018 is unknown, so a big part of me feels that replacing it may not be all that bad an idea (albeit a hugely expensive one). We live aboard, so dismantling the whole thing is a big disruption if ultimately I'm unable to do anything with it. Running repairs I'm ok with, but anything major like this feels out of my depth..

pvb

Visit site
I don't. The assumption (based on his experience) was that sea water had made it's way into the cylinders by how stuck fast it was. The engine is the originally fitted one, and is now some 20 years old. It's history to me, prior to 2018 is unknown, so a big part of me feels that replacing it may not be all that bad an idea (albeit a hugely expensive one). We live aboard, so dismantling the whole thing is a big disruption if ultimately I'm unable to do anything with it. Running repairs I'm ok with, but anything major like this feels out of my depth..

His assumption is a bit worrying. It should be easy to check what's actually happened. Maybe ask a Volvo Penta dealer to have a look at it.

fredrussell

Visit site
If no water was able to get in, at least theoretically, could it be something as simple as the piston rings rusting to the cylinder walls? To me that would seem a likely cause of it being seized. Are you able to remove the injectors and squirt a goodly amount of plusgas in there and then leave 24hrs to work it’s magic? Worth a try surely? Twenty years is not that long in the tooth for a marine engine. Mine is 27 and chugging away happily. If it was running well up till the point it mysteriously seized that would motivate me to have at least a half-hearted attempt to un-seize it.

neil_s

Visit site
Condensation over Winter in the cylinders did that to a Lister diesel I owned some time ago. It needed a good hard wrench to get it turning, but was fine after that. Always wrap your engine up in a good warm polyester blanket over the cold weather - protects the alternator and starter motor, too.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm on the south coast of the UK. Came back after lockdown to find my engine had seized (it was last run in Nov '19). Seacock was closed and I have an anti-syphon valve on there too, but it's stuck fast. My local engineer says it's a full rebuild or replace the engine. I would appreciate any further opinion on that if you have any relevant experience!

I've been waiting for a quote to repower for a bit now, so felt it was time to look about. Can anyone recommend a Volvo Penta dealer who'd be able to supply/fit a replacement, and quote fairly quickly for the whole job? Preferably within the bounds of the central / eastern south coast, as I'm not heading very far without any power..

Many thanks!
I did a rebuild of one for a PBO article, the rebuild kit is only just over £400 from parts 4 engines. I suspect that your engine engineer is taking the easy option! PM Me with an email address and ill send you a copy

Bobc

Visit site
If you do get to the point of re-powering, can I suggest that you talk to TS Marine about fitting a Beta 50 in there rather than another VP unit. I replaced a turbo version of your engine with one last year, and been very happy. It fits straight onto the same engine bearers and in my opinion is a far superior engine. If you want to have a look at the install, my boat will be on Southampton from Friday for a week or so.

Beneteau381

Visit site
I did a rebuild of one for a PBO article, the rebuild kit is only just over £400 from parts 4 engines. I suspect that your engine engineer is taking the easy option! PM Me with an email address and ill send you a copy
thank you - reading now!
There is also my article in PBO this month about refurbing injectors, it also tells how to remove them. You could do that, put some freeing medium in the cylinders to try and get thepistons moving. with a bit of luck you will free it up and away you go

Bobc

Visit site
If you want to try pouring some penetrating oil into the cylinders, you can do it through the glow plug holes. There is no need to remove the injectors.

Bobc

Visit site
If no water was able to get in, at least theoretically, could it be something as simple as the piston rings rusting to the cylinder walls? To me that would seem a likely cause of it being seized. Are you able to remove the injectors and squirt a goodly amount of plusgas in there and then leave 24hrs to work it’s magic? Worth a try surely? Twenty years is not that long in the tooth for a marine engine. Mine is 27 and chugging away happily. If it was running well up till the point it mysteriously seized that would motivate me to have at least a half-hearted attempt to un-seize it.
The MD-22 isn't a marine engine, it's a marinised car engine.

Beneteau381

Visit site
If you want to try pouring some penetrating oil into the cylinders, you can do it through the glow plug holes. There is no need to remove the injectors.
Easier to take the injectors out if my experience is anything to go by. The ones in the emgine I did were a bstd to get out corrided in to the alloy head

Beneteau381

Visit site
The MD-22 isn't a marine engine, it's a marinised car engine.
When I took the head to the local, proper, machine shop to get it skimmed, the old time owner laughed as he asked me how were the bores. He told me he had bought a set of over sized pistons for the perkins prima engine when they first came out, he said he still had them, that the bores didnt wear out in these engines. My rebuild had sat in a scrap yard for years, it had a touch of rust on some of the bores. I ran my hone ing tool up and down them. They were still within spec. Isnt the beta marine a vehicle engine as well?:unsure:

Bobc

Visit site
When I took the head to the local, proper, machine shop to get it skimmed, the old time owner laughed as he asked me how were the bores. He told me he had bought a set of over sized pistons for the perkins prima engine when they first came out, he said he still had them, that the bores didnt wear out in these engines. My rebuild had sat in a scrap yard for years, it had a touch of rust on some of the bores. I ran my hone ing tool up and down them. They were still within spec. Isnt the beta marine a vehicle engine as well?:unsure:

Well, the bores on my one had certainly worn out. The Prima engine was originally a BL petrol engine used in the Princess and Ital. It was then turned into a diesel by Perkins and was used in the Maestro, Montego, and Shepa vans.

The Beta is a Kubota base used for static engines (generators etc.), so designed to run for thousands of hours at the same revs. Chalk and cheese.

Maybe the question the OP should ask himself, is that this was a 20 year old Austin Meastro, what would he do then?

peteK

Visit site
Be wary of what so called engineers/ experts say they are in it too make money,I would be very surprised if the engine needs a full rebuild having last run in November 19,put some diesel in the cylinders and leave it to soak.
A 20 year engine in a boat is not old,mines 30 years old and plenty of life left in it

Beneteau381

Visit site
Well, the bores on my one had certainly worn out. The Prima engine was originally a BL petrol engine used in the Princess and Ital. It was then turned into a diesel by Perkins and was used in the Maestro, Montego, and Shepa vans.

The Beta is a Kubota base used for static engines (generators etc.), so designed to run for thousands of hours at the same revs. Chalk and cheese.

Maybe the question the OP should ask himself, is that this was a 20 year old Austin Meastro, what would he do then?
Interesting stuff here Unsung Heroes : Montego Turbo Diesel - AROnline not quite a petrol engine, visually similar, with the same stroke and bore, but improved crank case casting