Volvo Penta Engine

Pentahead

Visit site
Afternoon
I've just purchased a Birchwood 22 with a Penta Volvo petrol engine. I am trying to establish which Volvo car engine was used in this Aqua model. The engine is AQ 115A or AQ130A. There is a sliver aluminium cover over the top of the carburettors. The Birchwood is circu 1986. Hopefully there is a Volvo petrol head that can help me out.

scottie

Visit site
115 single carb Volvo 140?
130 twin as I recall possibly not used in car
Unless boat was totally empty single carb would not plane just noted your ref to twin carbs which was a tuned version of engine

Look up Volvo penta on line parts catalog and if part numbers start with 8***** then it’s not a car part but
Penta amended part
Volvo don’t change part numbers unless part is altered

Last edited:

Pentahead

Visit site
Many thanks for your response. I shall have take the aluminium cover off the carbs and do some further investigation.

Pentahead

Visit site
That's brilliant news I have found a firm called Brookhouse Volve Parts at Ipswich. So we should be able to get the basic's to try and get the engine running fingers crossed. If you good people know of any other volvo parts it would be a great help. I don't no how fuel efficient this engine is running at max speeds of 5mph on the boards. I would really like to get rid of the old metal fuel tank. I can only think a fuel tank that age is going to coarse us problems.

Refueler

Visit site
That's brilliant news I have found a firm called Brookhouse Volve Parts at Ipswich. So we should be able to get the basic's to try and get the engine running fingers crossed. If you good people know of any other volvo parts it would be a great help. I don't no how fuel efficient this engine is running at max speeds of 5mph on the boards. I would really like to get rid of the old metal fuel tank. I can only think a fuel tank that age is going to coarse us problems.

5mph ?

Engine will be barely throttled ... so I would be expecting about 3ltrs an hour ?? Maybe even less ? Most AQ's with their sterndrives are expected to be running at much higher speeds than that ... I'm a newbie to these and already I am finding the river speed limit of 8kts over here in Ventspils is well below the sweet spot of the powertrain.... OK - I have AQ170 + 250 drive.

Alicatt

Visit site
I think they also did a triple carb' version offering 130hp.
That was on the 3litre straight six the B18 was a 1800cc 4cylinder and the B20 was the same engine taken out to 2litre.
My father had a 145 injection he bought at auction knowing the injection system was broken he had a 144 that he was scrapping with a B18 engine, he swapped the heads and made the 145 into a single carbed version, it was a lot more economical than the fuel injection one.

Refueler

Visit site
That was on the 3litre straight six the B18 was a 1800cc 4cylinder and the B20 was the same engine taken out to 2litre.
My father had a 145 injection he bought at auction knowing the injection system was broken he had a 144 that he was scrapping with a B18 engine, he swapped the heads and made the 145 into a single carbed version, it was a lot more economical than the fuel injection one.

The 6 cyl is the B30 engine, used in the 164 - which I have in the Primor 24 ..... 3 enormous great Solex carbs ...

My Father had one of first 144 Injections .... beautiful car - but brakes were lethal .. just look at the pedal and it STOPPED ... in fact my step sisters boyfriend totalled it by hitting an oak tree when he skidded on a corner touching the brakes.
My Father was not so happy as he was not covered to drive the car - and I was supposed to pick up the car few days later for my use in college.

Alicatt

Visit site
The 6 cyl is the B30 engine, used in the 164 - which I have in the Primor 24 ..... 3 enormous great Solex carbs ...

My Father had one of first 144 Injections .... beautiful car - but brakes were lethal .. just look at the pedal and it STOPPED ... in fact my step sisters boyfriend totalled it by hitting an oak tree when he skidded on a corner touching the brakes.
My Father was not so happy as he was not covered to drive the car - and I was supposed to pick up the car few days later for my use in college.
In 1968 dad got the 144, first modification he did to it was put an oil cooler on the auto gearbox so he could tow our caravan without worrying about the gearbox overheating, great car I used it for a couple of years too, the rector in the Vale of Leven academy had the 164 with the B30 engine, he was friends with my father and they were both comparing the Volvos, the rector's biggest complaint was how heavy the clutch was in his manual transmission.

The 145 came up at auction in Wick, the car had been the car used by the head of the CAA and he had been up inspecting Wick Airport when it developed a fault, he took it to a local garage and they failed to put one of the injectors back properly and it sprayed petrol in to the engine bay causing an under bonnet fire, we still had the 144 but it was off the road so when dad got the 145 he swapped the heads and converted the 145 to a carb version, ran great. There was a lot of trick electronics under the bonnet and a special windscreen that was supposed to repel moisture and dust, it was the same system as fitted to Concorde but I have never heard of it fitted to any other car, Triplex HiVis or HyVis not sure on the spelling now as this was back in the early 70s. There was a control panel between the seats that controlled the way the system worked but as the electronics under the bonnet were burned out it never worked, there was a big toroidal transformer with lots of wires coming off of it but the rest was just a carbon lump.

Another school friend of my father had a 145 with the B20 and a boat, a Winner Wildcat, with the B18, he swapped the B18 for the B20 out of his car.
Sadly he passed away a few years ago, but I'm still friends with his son and we were in the same class at school just like our fathers.

Refueler

Visit site
In 1968 dad got the 144, first modification he did to it was put an oil cooler on the auto gearbox so he could tow our caravan without worrying about the gearbox overheating, great car I used it for a couple of years too, the rector in the Vale of Leven academy had the 164 with the B30 engine, he was friends with my father and they were both comparing the Volvos, the rector's biggest complaint was how heavy the clutch was in his manual transmission.

The 145 came up at auction in Wick, the car had been the car used by the head of the CAA and he had been up inspecting Wick Airport when it developed a fault, he took it to a local garage and they failed to put one of the injectors back properly and it sprayed petrol in to the engine bay causing an under bonnet fire, we still had the 144 but it was off the road so when dad got the 145 he swapped the heads and converted the 145 to a carb version, ran great. There was a lot of trick electronics under the bonnet and a special windscreen that was supposed to repel moisture and dust, it was the same system as fitted to Concorde but I have never heard of it fitted to any other car, Triplex HiVis or HyVis not sure on the spelling now as this was back in the early 70s. There was a control panel between the seats that controlled the way the system worked but as the electronics under the bonnet were burned out it never worked, there was a big toroidal transformer with lots of wires coming off of it but the rest was just a carbon lump.

Another school friend of my father had a 145 with the B20 and a boat, a Winner Wildcat, with the B18, he swapped the B18 for the B20 out of his car.
Sadly he passed away a few years ago, but I'm still friends with his son and we were in the same class at school just like our fathers.

My Father previous to the 144 had a B10 ... actually listed as 121 ... always remember the long gearstick and awkward 1st gear. But lovely car ... often mistaken for the Rover of similar build.
My Father was at Luton Airport - as part of his CAA work ... parked car and went off to do his job ... when completed returned to car and found he'd locked himself out of car ... keys inside. It was one of those cars so easily done.
He looked around and a Policeman was nearby .. no help of course - but he tried. A Bakery delivery guy was just leaving and came over to ask if he could help ... Dad pointed at the car - keys .... and guy promptly took out biggest bunch of keys ever seen and tried various ... Click - door opened.

Policeman shook his head and walked away !!