Volvo D3-130 not Charging battery

jpd85

Visit site
Hi,

On a Rodman 810 with twin D3-130's the domestic battery doesn't seem to be charging. It's not my boat and the it's new to the owner so I'm not sure of the electrics setup.
It seems that all the domestic stuff, bilge pump, windlass and instruments are run off the domestic battery and the engine battery is kept for engine starting only.

The other day the instruments switched off(did not trip) when i operated the windscreen wiper. The wiper moved much slower than normal. Once the wiper was off I could power up the instruments again.
As the day went on the instruments powered off repeatedly but I could turn them on again for a couple of minutes at a time. Each time they stayed for a shorter time. Eventually I could not switch them on. This led me to the conclusion of the battery not charging. Confirmed when I put a meter on it and it read about 9 volts. Then put a battery pack in its place and everything was fine including the wiper operating at full speed.

Both guages on the dash show 14.7V when the engines are running. Is this the voltage of the battery or is it just an indication that the alternator is working? On the day we had the problem they both consistently showed 14+ volts.
So my question is why isn't the battery charging?
I know the Engine Battery is charging as I can still start the engines but I have no power to the instruments. Would the charging set up be different on every boat or is there a standard diagram i can use to trace the fault? I am assuming the Port engine charges one battery and the starboard engine is charging the other. I am guessing that the port engine charges the engine battery as was told by the previous owner to always start the port engine first.
There is no 1/2/Both switch on the boat. The batteries have separate isolating switches. Any info greatly appreciated.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Suspect you have a duff battery.
Simple test
Charge up the battery fully and leave for 12 hours to remove the surface charge. Then check the voltage
12.7V or higher battery ok
12.4V 75% charged still ok'ish
12.2V 50% charged, duff
12.0V 25% charged, very duff

If you try this let us know how you got on.

jpd85

Visit site
Suspect you have a duff battery.
Simple test
Charge up the battery fully and leave for 12 hours to remove the surface charge. Then check the voltage
12.7V or higher battery ok
12.4V 75% charged still ok'ish
12.2V 50% charged, duff
12.0V 25% charged, very duff

If you try this let us know how you got on.

It's charging at the moment so I'll try this.

If it is a duff battery should I still have lost power to the instruments with the engine running(charging)?

jpd85

Visit site
Battery in question was fitted at the start of this season(early May). Not alot of use so perhaps it has not been charging all season but wejust haven't noticed. Volt Guages have read 14+V all season.