UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

One A.

Visit site
Re: Visas & Residency In Portugal

You have to be VERY careful with the terminology here. I (and several others in Greece) have registration documents, these are an EU requirement (that not all countries bother with) that you are supposed to apply for if you are in a country for more than 90 days. These are NOT residence permits although several people I know of call them residence permits. They're not, they give you no right of residence at all.

Have you gone/going for full residential status? Some are in for a bit of a shock then.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I know a bunch down the other end of the Algarve ( Tavira & VRdSA) who have moved there recently from here to take advantage of the pension tax break. AIUI, they had to show a rental contract to qualify.

For people without contacts, this is the usual way but, residence can also be had if you house/flat share or, lodge with someone. Originally, I obtained mine by saying I lived with sil and had to take two independent Portuguese witnesses to confirm it.

laika

Visit site
A mistake (soon to be rectified?) or is there deeper thinking to make Brits going abroad less attractive?

Whatever, very small beer so will have a corresponding limited impact. So why do it?

Given that countries outside the eurozone (and from next year, most places for us) seem to want 6 months remaining on your passport, this means they're flogging punters 5% more passports. They seem to be marketing hard: I got a text telling me my passport was expiring back in march and I'm pretty sure I didn't opt in for marketing.

Considering the current and imminent future state of the economy, I imagine a poster of Philip Hammond patting his back pocket with the words "Every Little Helps" underneath.

Last edited:

Tony Cross

Visit site

Have you gone/going for full residential status? Some are in for a bit of a shock then.

An EU citizen in another EU country has no need of a residence permit, all you need to do is register after 90 days and you can stay forever. AFAIK Greece won't give EU citizens a residence permit for this reason. Post-Bexit nobody yet knows what the procedure will be.

TonyMS

www.montgomery-smith.org

But their non-EU spouse does need a residence permit, and can then stay, indefinitely I believe. We're hoping to go down this route, but wondering what we'll have to to show the EU partner is staying in Greece. Maybe the DEPKA or maybe have to rent an apartment for a time.

RAI

Visit site

An EU citizen in another EU country has no need of a residence permit, all you need to do is register after 90 days and you can stay forever. AFAIK Greece won't give EU citizens a residence permit for this reason. Post-Bexit nobody yet knows what the procedure will be.
I think that's country dependent. The EU rules gives freedom of movement to EU citizens for 3/6 months to look for and find work. I think staying on after that requires proof of income and health insurance - as it does for pensioners. It gives those citizens the right to a residence permit, in as far as one is required. Non-EU nationals are entirely subject to national rules. That even includes issuing "golden" visas to rich people, though there are rumblings from the Commission.

We sailors, don't fit in that normal situation, as a residence permit assumes a permanent residence. That expatica web site shows how different EU countries handle the actual issuing of residence and work permits. Local practice is of course different to the theory.

nortada

Visit site
British Sailors Overseas, Brexit & the RYA.

A thought.

Has the RYA indicated any interest in the impact of Brexit on Brit sailors overseas?

A member of the RYA, I have seen nothing from them but as we spend time overseas, we don’t see a lot of their bumph.

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
Re: British Sailors Overseas, Brexit & the RYA.

"The RYA has been keeping a close eye on what the outcome could mean for recreational boating."

Dated 26.4.16 :ambivalence:

we don’t see a lot of their bumph.

I phink you'll phind it's bumf, mate. Short for bum fodder.
(I remember first hearing the expression in my youph and asking what it was. "It's fodder bum", I was told ;) )

Last edited:

Graham376

Visit site

Most of the info on the RYA site is no better than we get from the news and is written mainly from a UK boaters perspective. With their contacts at national level with many countries, maybe someone (Nortada?) should write and ask if they have any info or, could obtain it, regarding possibility of residence for UK boaters currently based abroad.

macd

Visit site

Most of the info on the RYA site is no better than we get from the news and is written mainly from a UK boaters perspective. With their contacts at national level with many countries, maybe someone (Nortada?) should write and ask if they have any info or, could obtain it, regarding possibility of residence for UK boaters currently based abroad.

Although I mocked the RYA's information on the subject a few moments ago, I have to wonder whether it's even appropriate for them to go into detail on this so far as people, as opposed to their boats, are concerned. Would one expect the RAC/AA or even the Caravan Club to suss out the brexit implications for members, other than to the extent of taking their vehicles overseas? I'm far from dogmatic on the issue, just posing the question.

P.S. The RYA information is actually several orders of magnitude worse than "the news" because...well, because it's over two years since it was even remotely news ;)

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site

As said before, Nortada is approaching the situation in Portugal from the Portuguese end. Quite enough to do without entering into a debate with the RYA on the much broader issue.

Possibly another volunteer would like to persue this angle?

Graham376

Visit site

Would one expect the RAC/AA or even the Caravan Club to suss out the brexit implications for members, other than to the extent of taking their vehicles overseas? I'm far from dogmatic on the issue, just posing the question.

A couple (or maybe more now) of years ago, foreign flagged vessels had problem with the Navy & PM here doing stops and equipment checks, demanding visiting boats meet Portuguese standards, The RYA intervened at national level and obtained agreement that only boats here >6 months have to comply.

As many RYA members have their boats based outside the UK, as members they should still expect help/advise when needed.

macd

Visit site

A couple (or maybe more now) of years ago, foreign flagged vessels had problem with the Navy & PM here doing stops and equipment checks, demanding visiting boats meet Portuguese standards, The RYA intervened at national level and obtained agreement that only boats here >6 months have to comply.

As many RYA members have their boats based outside the UK, as members they should still expect help/advise when needed.

I accept all that. My point -- clearly made, I think -- was that whilst the RYA might consider itself obligated to advise on matters directly concerning member's craft, it might not on issues of residence, healthcare, etc. This thread, you may recall, is principally about people, not boats.

jordanbasset

Visit site
The UK Government does not know what the situation will be post Brexit, indeed they cannot even agree on what they want. I can't help thinking it is a little optimistic to expect the RYA to know what it will be and give advice on it.
All they can do is express their views and concerns to the people in power but I suspect the people in power have much bigger problems to worry about the yachties, not least of which is will they even be in power this time next year

sailaboutvic

Visit site

"The RYA has been keeping a close eye on what the outcome could mean for recreational boating."

Dated 26.4.16 :ambivalence:

(I remember first hearing the expression in my youph and asking what it was. "It's fodder bum", I was told ;) )
Haha , someone did write to the RYA and the reply not long ago was published on the the Med sailing forum , but. I can't find it now , basically saying no more than any of us know ,

nortada

Visit site

I think you will find in The Concise Oxford Dictionary it’s bumph. ✔️ ;)

Being English, I prefer to use the COD spelling rather than adulterated Americanisms ‼️ :p:encouragement:

macd

Visit site

I think you will find in The Concise Oxford Dictionary it’s bumph. ✔️ ;)

Being English, I prefer to use the COD spelling rather than adulterated Americanisms ‼️ :p:encouragement:

Agree about OED, the nearest British English has to an authoritative source. You'll find it includes both spellings, preferring -f, the -ph ending being contrived. There is no Americanism involved.

But mainly, sorry for the phread dripht.

Tranona

Visit site

P.S. The RYA information is actually several orders of magnitude worse than "the news" because...well, because it's over two years since it was even remotely news ;)

That is simply not true. If you are a member you get an update in every magazine. You can also read a steady stream of updates (the last of which was July) on the Brexit page on the website.

Suggest you read it as it contains material of interest to boaters that you are unlikely to find in the general news.

No doubt there will be a further update following the fast moving events of the last few weeks.

macd

Visit site

That is simply not true. If you are a member you get an update in every magazine. You can also read a steady stream of updates (the last of which was July) on the Brexit page on the website.

Suggest you read it as it contains material of interest to boaters that you are unlikely to find in the general news.

No doubt there will be a further update following the fast moving events of the last few weeks.

You're right, so apologies. I simply followed the link given, but should have looked further.
RYA Brexit news is apparently at this link: https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice/current-affairs/Pages/Brexit.aspx
("Apparently" because the RYA site menu indicates as much, but the link didn't work for me just now.)