UK’s biggest warship suffers propeller shaft damage off south coast after setting sail for US

SaltIre

Visit site
Yup. Her deployment was possibly part of STANAVFORLANT - Standing Naval Force North Atlantic. I have a uniform label badge from 1985 when I served on HMS BRILLIANT as part of STANAVFORLANT.
stanavforlant.jpg

RivalRedwing

Visit site
Not mine!

Isle of Wight County Press!

“The oldest working seagoing paddle steamer Waverley passes by the newest, not working, warship, HMS Prince of Wales, off the Isle of Wight yesterday. Thanks to Chris Glover for this fantastic photo”
The curse of the PoW strikes, this from the IoW Free Press today:

EXCITEMENT turned to disappointment for those hoping to steam round the Isle of Wight onboard Waverley today.

The world's last seagoing paddle steamer suffered a technical issue while at Yarmouth Pier.

It had left Southampton and Portsmouth, and stopped at Yarmouth Pier to pick up ticket-holders for the sold out leg of the tour - a trip round the Island.
But after being onboard around an hour, it became clear passengers were not going to experience any time out at sea.

OOoops, already reported....

Last edited:

humbug716

Visit site
Yup. Her deployment was possibly part of STANAVFORLANT - Standing Naval Force North Atlantic. I have a uniform label badge from 1985 when I served on HMS BRILLIANT as part of STANAVFORLANT.
stanavforlant.jpg
You must have been at the Canadian 75th anniversary Fleet Review in Halifax, NS. I was there on the Alacrity. Good run.

With regards to the POW docking, I was present for the docking and undocking of the QE after her maintenance period. What the engineers told me was they made the same mistakes with the POW as the QE. Nothing learnt on the Journey.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site

With regards to the POW docking, I was present for the docking and undocking of the QE after her maintenance period. What the engineers told me was they made the same mistakes with the POW as the QE. Nothing learnt on the Journey.

Thanks for that.

That is absolutely, absolutely, damning. HMG should sue, but won’t, because, firstly, as is notorious, all the good shipbuilding lawyers in Britain are paid far more by the Aircraft Carrier Alliance members than HMG will ever spring for, and secondly they will all just go bust rather than pay, and then re-form and mug the MOD all over again.

There is a traditional merchant ship owners’ bit of wisdom to the effect that if you are buying a series built ship you don’t buy the first one built, the second one built, or the last one.

The yard are still learning with the first two, and the last one gets all the components knocked back from the earlier ships for failing inspection or survey.

Bouba

Visit site
Thanks for that.

That is absolutely, absolutely, damning. HMG should sue, but won’t, because, firstly, as is notorious, all the good shipbuilding lawyers in Britain are paid far more by the Aircraft Carrier Alliance members than HMG will ever spring for, and secondly they will all just go bust rather than pay, and then re-form and mug the MOD all over again.

There is a traditional merchant ship owners’ bit of wisdom to the effect that if you are buying a series built ship you don’t buy the first one built, the second one built, or the last one.

The yard are still learning with the first two, and the last one gets all the components knocked back from the earlier ships for failing inspection or survey.
Aircraft carriers are different...even in America with all their experience...look at the Bush, a CVN that, superficially, looks the same as the Nimitz class, has been a nightmare...of cost and time overrun.
A class of two ships haven’t a lot to teach...Prince of Wales is a little different (as all warships in a class are)...if the French bought into the carrier as originally intended, maybe their ones would have been perfect by then

SaltIre

Visit site
You must have been at the Canadian 75th anniversary Fleet Review in Halifax, NS. I was there on the Alacrity. Good run.

I wish I had been.:cry:
I was the Squadron Medical Officer for the Type22s, although Brazen was on Armilla patrol with HRH Andrew on board so had her own MO.
Broadsword was the senior ship but had just come back from the Falklands and was in the frigate complex - so I escaped to Brilliant which was fantastic. Much more relaxed. Plymouth, Bergen, Amsterdam, Bruges then Portsmouth, from memory. Probably some relevant exercisey bits in between!:D
I didn't get across the Atlantic because I was required back on Broadsword:
- Jimmy was in the last chance saloon and we were doing BOST/FOST then FCS.
- They had a CPO with asthma who was "P3 Ships with Medical Officers only". He shouldn't have been there but he joined the previous year prior to Falklands patrol for which they had an MO, so nobody objected. Try as I might I couldn't get him jettisoned!

penberth3

Visit site
Thanks for that.

That is absolutely, absolutely, damning. HMG should sue, but won’t, because, firstly, as is notorious, all the good shipbuilding lawyers in Britain are paid far more by the Aircraft Carrier Alliance members than HMG will ever spring for, and secondly they will all just go bust rather than pay, and then re-form and mug the MOD all over again........

No worries, it's all taxpayer's money.

chrishscorp

Visit site
On Saturday I chatted with a gentleman who is now sailing to the US on a ship that is working.

The issue is one of the seals that join the shaft sections, POW did not hit anything leaving Pompey.
On her last trip down to Pompey she did hit something whilst at sea, the Stbd engine 40MW tripped, the reset button pressed all restarted and all fine they thought berthed up in Pompey nothing seemed amis untill they went to slip....

Kukri

Visit site
On Saturday I chatted with a gentleman who is now sailing to the US on a ship that is working.

The issue is one of the seals that join the shaft sections, POW did not hit anything leaving Pompey.
On her last trip down to Pompey she did hit something whilst at sea, the Stbd engine 40MW tripped, the reset button pressed all restarted and all fine they thought berthed up in Pompey nothing seemed amis untill they went to slip....

Seal? Or SKF coupling?

Kukri

Visit site
The QE seems to have had two different stern gear issues. The less important one was the leak through the water lubricated stern seal. The other was the failure of a thrust block, which had been secured with laughably inadequate bolts - a design error. This was actually caught on videotape by the BBC although they did not pick up on it at the time as they did not understand what they were filming.

The POW, according to the MOD, whose track record of veracity in these matters could perhaps be better, has a failed SKF coupling on her starboard shaft.