UK’s biggest warship suffers propeller shaft damage off south coast after setting sail for US

Giblets

Visit site
So.....does this mean that they think Prince of Wales can be repaired without going into dry dock?
She's come in to offload "stores" as well as locking the shaft prior to her trip oop norf. Can one assume the "stores" might the the noisey, bangey things? I wouldn't think Rosyth dry dock would be too keen on working on a fully armed ship. :oops:

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
She's come in to offload "stores" as well as locking the shaft prior to her trip oop norf. Can one assume the "stores" might the the noisey, bangey things? I wouldn't think Rosyth dry dock would be too keen on working on a fully armed ship. :oops:

Yes; standard operating procedure for dry docking warships includes de-storing all ammunition before docking.

I don’t know if this can be done at Portsmouth or whether she has to visit the Clyde for this.

HMS Queen Elizabeth arrives on the Clyde to embark munitions | Navy Lookout

I was a partner in a merchant ship crew training operation which we set up on the former ammunition pier at Subic Bay, in the Philippines : it was ideal as it had been built to take super carriers, it was miles from anywhere and surrounded by jungle and it had deep water for free fall lifeboats etc.

capnsensible

Visit site
Yes; standard operating procedure for dry docking warships includes de-storing all ammunition before docking.

I don’t know if this can be done at Portsmouth or whether she has to visit the Clyde for this.

I was a partner in a merchant ship crew training operation which we set up on the former ammunition pier at Subic Bay, in the Philippines : it was ideal as it had been built to take super carriers, it was miles from anywhere and surrounded by jungle and it had deep water for free fall lifeboats etc.
Back in the day, the Clyde Submarine Base had AFD60. Fondly known as Monty Pythons Floating Dock. :)

The guys who ran it...uniformed....were fantastic. We would arrive home after a patrol for routine docking after x time. Offload torpedoes. My job, a busy time. Then into the dock. Lifted, maintain and repair, dockdown and refloat, back alongside and re embark weapons. The weather was....mc Scotland. I enjoyed every second!!!!

capnsensible

Visit site
For not carriers, Pompey has the Upper Harbor Ammunition Facilty just up the Creek. Involves a cold move with tugs. Again, back in my very younger day on a skimmer, we Would have to use a lot of manpower on Fountain Lake Jetty to embark lots of bang stuff.

SaltIre

Visit site
No. Noisy bangy things don't get offloaded between Portsmouth and Gosport. That gets done in Scotland, where the population is expendible. See #207:
Can ordnance not be unloaded at DM Crombie which is three miles up-river from Rosyth Naval Dockyard? :unsure:
Secret Scotland - Crombie Munitions Depot
They might just leave the munition on board in Rosyth. A big bang might improve it - I used to live there...:oops:

Last edited:

Bouba

Visit site
No. Noisy bangy things don't get offloaded between Portsmouth and Gosport. That gets done in Scotland, where the population is expendible. See #207:
The Scots might be taking the risks...but it’s the English who have to pay for the explosives....so be careful!

Bilgediver

Visit site
No. Noisy bangy things don't get offloaded between Portsmouth and Gosport. That gets done in Scotland, where the popolation is expendible. See #207:
Not sure if she can squeeze in there and if so its possible her flight deck would overhang the narrow pier. Both ships went up to the Crombie area prior to departure so they were out in the stream ready to pass under the rail bridge at the right moment. Both ships have hinged masts to give clearance which wasn't much

Video shows tight squeeze under Forth Bridges as HMS Queen Elizabeth returns

SaltIre

Visit site
Not sure if she can squeeze in there and if so its possible her flight deck would overhang the narrow pier. Both ships went up to the Crombie area prior to departure so they were out in the stream ready to pass under the rail bridge at the right moment. Both ships have hinged masts to give clearance which wasn't much

Video shows tight squeeze under Forth Bridges as HMS Queen Elizabeth returns
Maybe she will indeed go to (y)Glen Mallon - then through either the Caley or F&C Canal.
The pier at Glen Mallon got modified to accommodate them...

Last edited:

Bilgediver

Visit site
Makes a change from ramming piers.
Very easy to ram a pier with a paddle steamer as a certain mate that trained on our ships found out when let loose on one of the White Funnel ships in the Bristol Channel. Penarth Pier became a little shorter. The paddlers have no steerage at low speed so often there are interesting moments if things are not right at slow down time. They have to stop within heaving line distance!

Kukri

Visit site
Maybe she will indeed go to (y)Glen Mallon - then through either the Caley or F&C Canal.
The pier at Glen Mallon got modified to accommodate them...

The ammunition pier at Glen Mallon was modified to take the Ugly Sisters but nothing was done to arrange a practical dry dock for them and the contract went to Babcocks although the ships need to get under this every time:

FC6B3337-4ECD-4EE4-B272-2A3C31170639.jpeg

and the UKC in the approach is 50 centimetres.

This looks like corruption in Naval procurement.

Kukri

Visit site
What a great picture, Kukri.

Not mine!

Isle of Wight County Press!

“The oldest working seagoing paddle steamer Waverley passes by the newest, not working, warship, HMS Prince of Wales, off the Isle of Wight yesterday. Thanks to Chris Glover for this fantastic photo”