UK’s biggest warship suffers propeller shaft damage off south coast after setting sail for US

SaltIre

Visit site
You didn't correct his spelling.:rolleyes:

Neeves

Visit site
Isn't it a fascinating concept that in 40 years time, when posters here will have gone aloft, the 2 Strike Carriers will still be operating.

And Waverly might have stopped crashing.

Speak for yourself. I certainly hope the 2 carriers are still operating which means China/Taiwan has been all talk and no need for trousers.

Jonathan

Salt'n'shaken

Visit site
Thanks for that.

That is absolutely, absolutely, damning. HMG should sue, but won’t, because, firstly, as is notorious, all the good shipbuilding lawyers in Britain are paid far more by the Aircraft Carrier Alliance members than HMG will ever spring for, and secondly they will all just go bust rather than pay, and then re-form and mug the MOD all over again.

There is a traditional merchant ship owners’ bit of wisdom to the effect that if you are buying a series built ship you don’t buy the first one built, the second one built, or the last one.

The yard are still learning with the first two, and the last one gets all the components knocked back from the earlier ships for failing inspection or survey.
Having worked in construction tendering for and securing PFI projects in the past and the wife having worked as a lawyer for various multinationals providing services to UKGOV, the procurement on our behalf is inept.

Worse than this, national and local government departments have so much power to exercise legal muscle in contractual issues, but are institutionally afraid of doing so and get walked over constantly. Very poor.

capnsensible

Visit site
The F-35 features a significant chunk of British built components, with up to 10-15% of every jet sold being built or developed in Britain.
As the only Level 1 partner, the United Kingdom has garnered sizeable economic benefits from the F-35. British industry will build much of each of the more than 3,000 planned F-35s.
The programme at peak will generate significant export revenue and GDP growth say the Ministry of Defence. The programme is projected to create between 19,000 and 25,000 jobs depending on who you ask.

R.Ems

Visit site
With each F-35 carrier variant costing at least £88m I think the Septics should have delivered the bloody things. At least the PoW is currently a static runway to land on!
A few sea-going Harriers, mannned and supported by sailors currently familiar with combat on them, might be useful;

Who might have such a thing? Oh, hang on...

Last edited:

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Being ever so slightly more serious, the first big refit is going to have to include the catapault and arrester system that was too expensive to retrofit to the Prince of Wales, because it will be needed to operate drones, including observation drones attack drones and not least the refuelling drones that I have wittered on about before.

I suppose the good news is that our cousins will have sorted out the EMALS system by then.

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
Being ever so slightly more serious, the first big refit is going to have to include the catapault and arrester system that was too expensive to retrofit to the Prince of Wales, because it will be needed to operate drones, including observation drones attack drones and not least the refuelling drones that I have wittered on about before.

I suppose the good news is that our cousins will have sorted out the EMALS system by then.
The EMALS will have long been sorted out by then. But our cousins will charge us handsomely for using 'their' technology.