UK’s biggest warship suffers propeller shaft damage off south coast after setting sail for US

sarabande

Visit site
Hmm, I thought the Portsmouth Movement page said she was making fast bows downstream.

78HYIa1.jpg

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
If I understand this correctly, QE does not (yet?) have the full “Bedford Array” approach and landing guidance set up for shipborne rolling vertical landing, but PoW does, and one of the purposes of PoW’s intended visit to the USA was to have been to calibrate her Bedford Array using USNC F35Bs because of course PoW doesn’t have any aircraft.

Last edited:

Bilgediver

Visit site
Reefed topsails and a full spanker.
No log 3 blasts of horn?
The QE seems to have had two different stern gear issues. The less important one was the leak through the water lubricated stern seal. The other was the failure of a thrust block, which had been secured with laughably inadequate bolts - a design error. This was actually caught on videotape by the BBC although they did not pick up on it at the time as they did not understand what they were filming.

These two events are probably connected. The leaking shaft seal would have been caused by damage to the aft seal when the prop and shafting moved forwards when the thrust bolts failed.

Bouba

Visit site
With each F-35 carrier variant costing at least £88m I think the Septics should have delivered the bloody things. At least the PoW is currently a static runway to land on!
They are delivered...they fly across the Atlantic....which is impressive for something like that. But the training facilities and training squadrons are on the West Coast

Kukri

Visit site
These two events are probably connected. The leaking shaft seal would have been caused by damage to the aft seal when the prop and shafting moved forwards when the thrust bolts failed.

“Duh!” ?

Of course!

I will now potter off and collect my Idiot of the Week Award!

I will join the queue just astern of the blithering idiots who designed the stern gear on those ships.

penfold

Visit site
The QE seems to have had two different stern gear issues. The less important one was the leak through the water lubricated stern seal. The other was the failure of a thrust block, which had been secured with laughably inadequate bolts - a design error. This was actually caught on videotape by the BBC although they did not pick up on it at the time as they did not understand what they were filming.

The POW, according to the MOD, whose track record of veracity in these matters could perhaps be better, has a failed SKF coupling on her starboard shaft.
What was the video shown on, was it the 'fly on the wall' thing?

capnsensible

Visit site
If I understand this correctly, QE does not (yet?) have the full “Bedford Array” approach and landing guidance set up for shipborne rolling vertical landing, but PoW does, and one of the purposes of PoW’s intended visit to the USA was to have been to calibrate her Bedford Array using USNC F35Bs because of course PoW doesn’t have any aircraft.
No aircraft carrier has any aircraft. In any navy. Aircraft belong to shorebased Squadrons that are then deployed in the appropriate mix to a deploying floating airfield.

It a common misconception. Happy to help clear it up. (y)

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
“Duh!” ?

Of course!

I will now potter off and collect my Idiot of the Week Award!

I will join the queue just astern of the blithering idiots who designed the stern gear on those ships.
My grandfather was a naval architect, designing exactly those, spanning the ww2 years. IIRC his crowning glory was the Tribal class destroyers. Hopefully he was a little more thorough than his modern day imitators

Kukri

Visit site
No aircraft carrier has any aircraft. In any navy. Aircraft belong to shorebased Squadrons that are then deployed in the appropriate mix to a deploying floating airfield.

It a common misconception. Happy to help clear it up. (y)

OK, PoW has no aircraft embarked.

But have all the aircraft intended to be embarked on the two carriers been delivered and are they in Squadron service?

Kukri

Visit site
F-35B: What you need to know about the Lightning jet

All your questions answered, I think. Don't forget that other navies have cross decked aircraft and helicopters to QE. The number of aircraft movements must now be in the thousands.

So, we have got twenty of them. 24 delivered, three in California, one lost because idiotically it was allowed to try to take off with a rain cover attached and the rain cover was ingested into the lift fan.

With the collapse in the £, the prices of these aircraft are rising fast.

Bouba

Visit site
So, we have got twenty of them. 24 delivered, three in California, one lost because idiotically it was allowed to try to take off with a rain cover attached and the rain cover was ingested into the lift fan.

With the collapse in the £, the prices of these aircraft are rising fast.
I think British firms make about 15% of the sale of all of these (extremely popular) aircraft worldwide...so a rising dollar is good news (for some)