Time for me to get another boat!

stelican

Visit site
Beware if you retro fit air con there is not any room in engine bay for genny. On new builds the fuel tank was divided and genny fitted between. As far as I recall!
How about an Atlantis 42, Good med boat.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Beware if you retro fit air con there is not any room in engine bay for genny. On new builds the fuel tank was divided and genny fitted between. As far as I recall!
How about an Atlantis 42, Good med boat.

Thanks S, I remember you said that about the Genny before. To be honest, I probably wouldn't bother retrofitting one so would just use A/C on the berth. The wife can sleep in the cockpit if she's too hot at anchor!

The T34's that we looked at in Mallorca had no A/C, no Genset, no holding tank and no Pasarelle. So we'd be buying a Med boat with the consequences of that (hard life) without any of the Med spec benefits. If I'm going to but one with a UK spec I might as well but one that's in better condition, get the A/C installed here and get the thing trucked down to Denia.

MapisM

Visit site
I have now reverted to looking at Targa 34's
Sorry for the "failure", regardless of reasons and faults, P.
But now... Are you sure it makes sense to stick to FL, no matter what?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to dismiss FL boats at all - and I know close to nothing about both the Ph40 and the T34.
Otoh, as you know, I'm also coming from a boat search which took ages, also because it was interrupted for some months, for family reasons, but that's another story.
And I guess you might find it hard to believe it, but the spreadsheet I kept updated with all the stuff we considered is now reminding me that myself and S have actually been onboard 76 boats, built by 30 different yards (FL included, obviously - Sq55 and Sq58, for the records).
Yes, not a typo: I did write seventysix and thirty respectively.

And trust me, I'm not biased at all if I tell you that - purely in terms of value for money - no FL entered the first TWENTY of my (obviously very personal) ranking.
You might prefer a Sq58 to a F57 or a DP56, just to name a couple of her competitor boats, and I wouldn't even start arguing with that - though I could, in more ways than one.
But when it comes to VFM, quite simply, there's no Sq58 on the market which is anywhere near both of them.
I suppose that's because you Brits love FLs enough to keep their prices higher than average on the second hand market, and there's nothing wrong with that.
But with respect, I believe that for anyone (like myself) for which VFM is a relevant consideration, buying a second hand FL practically means settling for less.
I could have bought a not much older SL62 for the same price of a Sq58 in comparable conditions - should I say more...?!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

And I guess you might find it hard to believe it, but the spreadsheet I kept updated with all the stuff we considered is now reminding me that myself and S have actually been onboard 76 boats
Blimey, the Italian yacht broking industry must be mightily relieved that you've finally bought a boat;)

MapisM

Visit site
LMAO, yeah, probably. But I'm also relieved for not having to deal with brokers anymore, in the foreseeable future.
With boats, we came across the good, the bad and the ugly. But saying that the same goes for brokers is a massive understatement! :D

PS: in hindsight, the whole experience might well be worth a thread. Maybe during some long and cold night next winter!

Last edited:

jrudge

Visit site
Whilst I have just bought another fairline I was actually concioisly looking for another brand having had 3 of the things in a row! There are lots of brands out there and the searches I have set up for email notifications throw up some interesting stuff.

I would not say that asking price and selling price are that closely related ! And yes the brokers are dreadful. I was basically happy to buy a boat in Italy based on spec etc but we never got off first base as the broker took 3 weeks to answer the most basic of questions.

Pete. A t34 is an old boat and no ac in the Med is not in my view an option. Retrofit just for the dock sidecis silly in my view.

There are plenty of brands to look at. Bear in mind you have been looking for a long time and the perfect boat does not exist !

Jeremy

Portofino

Visit site
Agree with what J Rudge is saying
Perhaps revisit Pershing 37 with aft cabin -----comes fully Med specced up ---shafts so no outdrive bills in terms of planing / budgeting running costs in a timely way ---- just PAYG fuel of course ,but that up each partner how much €€ they choose to go up in smoke independently of the other(s) .CAT or newer Yanmar ,an older CAT would be my choice ..
Just get your toe into the Med boat life --get started -life's too short !
Once "in" so to speak and have a few years under your belt (and partners ) -then finances permitting switch back to FL
40-50 something FB -on the basis you can now make a more on the ground informed choice based on xyz Med experiance .
Never know you may well bond with the Pershing brand :encouragement:

Last edited:

petem

@MapisM, obviously our circumstances are quite different. I think you had more time, enthusiasm and experience for your hunt and I suspect your next boat will be a 'keeper' and will therefore need to meet your requirements exactly. And 'chapeau' for that! You're also buying it on your own so only have you and S to please.

I just want a boat that I can have fun with for probably two or three years then I'll give boating a rest for a bit and do different things with my time.

Regarding alternatives, I want to stick closer to 35ft than 40ft but MIGHT consider a S/S Portofino 35 if one came along in the right condition and price (would need to convince SWMBO as she has a dim view of S/S owners!). Of course what I'd really like is a T38 but they're likely to be beyond my budget. I did also consider an Absolute 39 but again, that's possible a little too big and too expensive for me.

But I do like Fairlines (as you may have noticed), I know the guys at the factory, the dealers and have loads of other Fairline contacts so there are additional attractions for me in owning one. I also know I could sell it quickly when the time comes.

----------
@jrudge, Congrats on the new purchase! I think the usage pattern for 34ft and 58ft boats is quite different. We're likely to spend 9 nights out of 10 in port and just head out for lunch and a snooze. So I think 'A/C only' is an OK compromise as a Genny is hard to fit on a T34 and likely to be c. £10k (although I am watching the Fisher thread with interest).

Regarding age, I'd really be looking in the 2002 to 2007 window so 10 to 15 years old. As you'll agree, condition is king and a well kept 2002 boats will be a better bet than a poorly kept 2007 example. But you and MapisM will concur that dealing with brokers is soul destroying and even something as simple as getting sight of ownership and VAT docs, let alone a decent service history, can be excruciatingly painful.

----------
@Portofino, I quote like Pershing's but they're a little stark inside and I doubt SWMBO could be persuaded. Regarding shaft drive boats, people will think I'm nuts but I quite like the concept of legs providing they've been properly maintained. Far less faffing about with rudders, cutlass bearings, shafts, seals, prop polishing, etc.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

@jrudge, Congrats on the new purchase! I think the usage pattern for 34ft and 58ft boats is quite different. We're likely to spend 9 nights out of 10 in port and just head out for lunch and a snooze. So I think 'A/C only' is an OK compromise as a Genny is hard to fit on a T34 and likely to be c. £10k (although I am watching the Fisher thread with interest).
I think you're right Pete. Yes its nice to have AC at anchor but youve always got the option of going for a dip if it gets too hot. I can only think of one night at anchor in the Med when it was so hot that we ran the AC and gennie all night. In port though its a different story because there's less breeze and its hotter anyway. We'll run the AC all day and night in port during July/Aug and I definitely would not want to be without it

Portofino

Visit site
I think you're right Pete. Yes its nice to have AC at anchor but youve always got the option of going for a dip if it gets too hot. I can only think of one night at anchor in the Med when it was so hot that we ran the AC and gennie all night. In port though its a different story because there's less breeze and its hotter anyway. We'll run the AC all day and night in port during July/Aug and I definitely would not want to be without it

Yes that's correct we find at night a breeze thought the ports in a bow cabin works .
How ever leccy is nice @ anchor and give s more touring options re bat recharging , leccyhobs ( de-gassing your boat ) and simple micro wave or kettle .
I know an inverter can do this stuff ,but on a 35-37 ft r do you really want a ton of extra bats ?
So a full on Med spec can and should be hunted down .
You will enjoy it more .

jrudge

Visit site
Pete the only difference between 35 and 40 will be the space. The running costs will be the same baring a few pennies !

As portofino says just buy one and have fun.

I was looking for 50 feet but I spend time on it so just deal and worry about it later.

Also I don't think you can sell a fairline any faster than any other mainstream brand. But a total oddball and it may take time. Remember the main thing that stops.boats selling is price. Looks at boats.co.uk stock boats. They are all priced to sell not sit there.

Hurricane

Visit site
There is a nice T40 out here in SC.
It has been on the market for a while.
Do you know the boat?
The only problem I can see with it is that it has a strange neighbour - :D

Joking aside, the owners are on board at the moment.
Would you like me to ask them for details?

petem

There is a nice T40 out here in SC.
It has been on the market for a while.
Do you know the boat?
The only problem I can see with it is that it has a strange neighbour - :D

Joking aside, the owners are on board at the moment.
Would you like me to ask them for details?

Hi Mike, I'm really after something smaller (T34 not T40) but I'd be interedted to see who it's on with.

And I'd be your neighbour anytime!

Pete

jrudge

Visit site
Pete , I still don't see why a 34 over a 40. The 40 is a nice boat ( I had one ) and will have more space and. Let no more to run.

I sold my 2004 one 3 years ago for £100k to give you a guide.

petem

Pete , I still don't see why a 34 over a 40. The 40 is a nice boat ( I had one ) and will have more space and. Let no more to run.

I sold my 2004 one 3 years ago for £100k to give you a guide.

I'm not quite convinced the cost for running a T34 is the same as a T40 (berthing costs will be quite different for example) but I'm open minded regarding cheaper T40's.