Time for me to get another boat!

John100156

Visit site
Agree with above, I had a holding tank fitted to my T34 before it was transported to SCM, it was also a Mk2, so if you need any images I will see if I can dig them out.

We did not have AC on our Targa and it was unbearable at times in summer, you could go for a portable which rejects heat through say a 75mm of 100mm hose, but much better to have one fitted.

Not sure if you would need two AC units though, having had a T34 I would definitely go for just cooling the saloon with the fan drawing air back from there and the two cabins, with a relief path for supply air into each cabin, the downside is control point of course, if one cabin wants it warmer/cooler etc, but one would suffice. 16k btu/hr would be more than enough. You could even go one size down, but the more cooling the better!

John100156

Visit site
Those were the days, T34 nicely anchored in the lagoon when another boat slipped by and spoils the scenery.... if only I knew whom the skipper was :D

3.jpg

tetleys

Visit site
Hi Pete

Given the change in boat size and style i would be looking at the Cranchi Zafirro 34 , one of Cranchis most popular models so plenty of choice particulary in the med . I had one a good few years ago in the uk , a 2003 will factory fitted air con and holding tank . I would struggle with the maths on retrofitting these items to an older boat. IMHO the best built are around 2003/4 which included the cherry wood in the saloon but still retaining the ultra simple and reliable Kad 43,s , and the more solid and rounded bathing platform.
Good luck
Tetleys

MapisM

Visit site
Fwiw (i.e. not much, 'cause I can already guess petem view on this :)), being a former Z34 owner myself, I can second each and every words in tetleys post.
Model name aside, which is actually Zaffiro, not Zafirro... :D :p

Whitelighter

Visit site
Hi Pete

Given the change in boat size and style i would be looking at the Cranchi Zafirro 34 , one of Cranchis most popular models so plenty of choice particulary in the med . I had one a good few years ago in the uk , a 2003 will factory fitted air con and holding tank . I would struggle with the maths on retrofitting these items to an older boat. IMHO the best built are around 2003/4 which included the cherry wood in the saloon but still retaining the ultra simple and reliable Kad 43,s , and the more solid and rounded bathing platform.
Good luck
Tetleys

Is cranchi the Italian arm of Fairline?
No? Oh well.....

:)

MJGH

Visit site
petem;6036211 [FONT=Georgia said:
I just want a boat that I can have fun with for probably two or three years then I'll give boating a rest for a bit and do different things with my time. [/FONT]

Pete
I appreciate everyone makes their own decisions that best suits their needs.
But if as you said in an earlier post you only intend keeping the boat for a short time.
Then perhaps the cost of retro fitting air con, holding tank etc to a UK boat to bring it up to Med spec and then with the cost of shipping it to the Med added.
There may be very little saving in terms of actual expenditure between mooring a fully specced Targa 40 already in the Med for say 2 x years and a retro fitted and shipped UK Targa 34.
The upside could be a boat close to where you want it, ready to go now with all the advantages of the larger boat for similar cost over your intended keep period.
If you are determined to have a boat from the UK, Essex Boat Yards have just listed a full Med spec, one owner, 2001, Targa 40 advertised for semi sensible money.
All imho of course without meaning to offend or interfere.

Kind Regards
Michael

Portofino

Visit site
Saw the date PeteM started this reread the whole thing from the start and noticed ,he Allways wanted a T34 .
So I think give the guy a break ,infact if it comes to fruition indeed rarther sweet .
Of course plenty on here ,me included have put fwd in a helpful kinda way alternatives .
The Cranchi is beamey --I remember sourcing a boat for my pre-purchesd mooring ,3.55 was the limit .Cranchi does not fit .C36 is 3.85 --the C34 3.5 -- but smaller ?
T34 is 3.45 , SS Porto 35 ,3.54 ,and Pershing 37 a narrow 3.25 .
T34 should be easier to find a berth than the Cranchi --which is important for PeteM I think as well
If the purchase price is right adding spec does not necessarily make the deal an econnonic "loss" compared to another modal or brand .
It's not about ecomonic sence ,well if it was basing a boat in the Med vs UK or no boat --no boat wins .

Theres are advantages of adding spec -so far not mentioned
1- it's new -warranty -for that piece
2- you choose --- better ,same ,worse As you wish over OEM
3- fun of the project --getting exactley how you like .

4- you know those new speced fitted stuff are right up to date and should last a few years ,like starting from new--
Who,s to say a month or two into a full Med Spec jobbie --stuff is not going to pack up anyhow --needing replacement .

It all depends on the basic overall condition of the boat in totality and of course the purchase price relative to others in the market .
Makes sence to buy in Baldricks and start having fun .
Can,t see the point of buying a UK one phaffing on ,retro fitting and wasting time and ££ with transport + insurance etc .

Anyhow best wishes PeteM .
My guardiene who used to work for FL France always said the T34 had a great hull and was a fast boat -simple easy to maintaine .

ps --yup to holding tank -you must do it .

Last edited:

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Hi Pete

Good luck
Tetleys

I looked at Zaffiro 34's back when I started this thread. Was put off by the partiular example that I viewed and to be honest they don't really float my boat.

I'll readily agree that the Targa 34 is not the best boat for Med boating but I know that we'll have fun on it like we did the Targa 30 and at least this one has a separate forecabin for sleeping in.

petem

Saw the date PeteM started this reread the whole thing from the start and noticed ,he Allways wanted a T34 .
So I think give the guy a break ,infact if it comes to fruition indeed rarther sweet .
Of course plenty on here ,me included have put fwd in a helpful kinda way alternatives .
The Cranchi is beamey --I remember sourcing a boat for my pre-purchesd mooring ,3.55 was the limit .Cranchi does not fit .C36 is 3.85 --the C34 3.5 -- but smaller ?
T34 is 3.45 , SS Porto 35 ,3.54 ,and Pershing 37 a narrow 3.25 .
T34 should be easier to find a berth than the Cranchi --which is important for PeteM I think as well
If the purchase price is right adding spec does not necessarily make the deal an econnonic "loss" compared to another modal or brand .
It's not about ecomonic sence ,well if it was basing a boat in the Med vs UK or no boat --no boat wins .

Theres are advantages of adding spec -so far not mentioned
1- it's new -warranty -for that piece
2- you choose --- better ,same ,worse As you wish over OEM
3- fun of the project --getting exactley how you like .

4- you know those new speced fitted stuff are right up to date and should last a few years ,like starting from new--
Who,s to say a month or two into a full Med Spec jobbie --stuff is not going to pack up anyhow --needing replacement .

It all depends on the basic overall condition of the boat in totality and of course the purchase price relative to others in the market .
Makes sence to buy in Baldricks and start having fun .
Can,t see the point of buying a UK one phaffing on ,retro fitting and wasting time and ££ with transport + insurance etc .

Anyhow best wishes PeteM .
My guardiene who used to work for FL France always said the T34 had a great hull and was a fast boat -simple easy to maintaine .

ps --yup to holding tank -you must do it .

Well said Porto. In fact I should rename this thread "Full Circle" as I've gone back to my original idea. We're getting the boat for a very fair price and whilst we won't get all the cash we'll be shelling out for the A/C and Holding Tank back when we sell, I'd hope we'd see some of it and the boat will be easier to sell.

itspaul

Visit site
Have a browse through this there are kits which would do the job http://www.marineairspares.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Marine-Airspecsheets.pdf
Having had all the interior out of our t43 I don't envy your task boats of this age were well screwed together and finding the screws is all part of the fun ! Not sure where your planning to keep it but if alcudiamar is of interest it may be worth talking to malen in the office 12 months ago they had quite a few 10 m berths free and she was discounting by 20 % not sure what the current situation is tho.
I have had a boat in alcudiamar since 2003 so I do know some trusted engineers etc if you need any help

MapisM

Visit site
Good call, J.
I completely forgot that boat, which looks very nice indeed.

@ petem: if you think she's worth considering, my STRONG suggestion is to NOT get in touch with the contact in that ad.
Email or pm me for more details.

petem

Good call, J.
I completely forgot that boat, which looks very nice indeed.

@ petem: if you think she's worth considering, my STRONG suggestion is to NOT get in touch with the contact in that ad.
Email or pm me for more details.

Thanks P, but as I said a few dozen post ago, my partner has had an offer accepted on another example so I hope we'll be going with that one (I'm goint to take a look at it in a couple of weeks time and if I like it will be a half share from him once he completes).