Time for me to get another boat!

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Time for another update. A couple of weeks ago I spotted a cheap Targa 37 currently moored on the Thames. I believed Jez lives in that area so dropped him an email to see if he'd be interested in viewing it. Deleted User and JTB (who have been mentoring me in my boat hunt) were copied in and Mike F suggested we all view the boat and have some lunch afterwards. So we set a date for Monday just gone and the dealer (Walton Marine) agreed to open up for us to see it. Darrell from Walton turned out to be a decent chap and gave us honest answers to all our questions.

From the outside the boat was poorly presented and didn't look like it had seen a bucket of water for a long time. The gel coat was badly faded but on close inspection was totally free of and crazing or collission damage (even minor). The cockpit and bathing platform teak had been replaced by a Tekdek type substitute that had been well laid with good borders. The owner had recently replaced the seating covers with a navy material (a la Windy). There were some poor after market decals which could be easily replaced. The covers were in poor condition but the broker advised that the owner was in the process of replacing them.

Equipment wise the boat had an aftermarket holding tank (no overboard discharge), autopilot, GPS and I believe heating.

Inside the boat was in a much better state. Jimmy was in his element having owned a loved a T37 previously and knew where any likely issues would be lurking. Sure enough he spotted one particular "they're all like that" minor crack that would require an easy repair. The interior furnishings were all in good condition and the boat even had a faint "new boat" whiff. The owners had left some tube heaters running inside the cabin and there was no water damage from leaks nor any damp issues. Even the hatches seemed to be keeping rainwater out meaning there was no rust staining (typical of Targas if this vintage). Woodwork was in excellent condition too with only a very isolated patch of blooming. The navy blue carpet was OK but I felt that a good quality cream replacement would really lift the interior.

Lifting the engine hatch revealed some tidy looking KAD42's with little signs of rust. Belts were in good nick and the bilges were relatively clean. The hour meters had stopped displaying some time ago so the hours run was not known. The owner believed the hours to be around 400 however all present were sceptical of this claim. The owner had maintained the boat himself for the seven years he had owned it and kept it on the Thames, the only documentation would being the invoices for the service parts. Having kept the boat on the non tidal Thames, it's likely that the Compressors and Turbos will have seen little or no use during those years.

So, would it be a good buy for someone? I think the answer would be yes. On the plus side, the interior is good and the expensive external stuff (covers and seats) will have been replaced. I'd love to see what "Marine Reflections" (of this parish) could do after a few days of cleaning and detailing. A potential buyer should assume the worst with regard to the engines and put enough money aside for them to be overhauled (in particular the cooling system, turbos and compressors). In addition a full service would be advisable including the important tappet checks / adjustments. Obviously if the boat was to spend future years on the Thames then some of the overhaul is less critical. Once this work had been done the boat should look very smart and give years of trouble free boating.

Was it a good buy for me? Unfortunately not. I didn't love the T37 more than the T34's I've already viewed and the cost of transporting it to the Med would make it non viable for me. So my hunt continues...

Happy New Year everyone!

Chris_d

Visit site
I would be wary of a T37 in the Walton area until I had established if it was the one driven up the bank and into a field a couple of years ago. There maybe a reason its cheap.

Time Out

Visit site
Worth asking on the Thames forum about it ( not two rebels) I think it was / is owned by a memeber who used to post on the Thames Forum. If it is then it has done a bit of costal.

The one that went up the bank was not keeping to the speed limit and did not make the bend. Fortunately it was a very soft "exit". Big news at the time however the owner was not best pleased with his behaviour ...

Greg2

Visit site
Surprised that you don't prefer the T37 to the T34 Pete. The 37 is a much more spacious and comfortable boat down below. Okay, so likely to be older than a 34 but better in so many ways IMHO. Came very close to buying one ourselves. Only drawback was the very tight engine bay but then I think the 34 has the same issue.

petem

Surprised that you don't prefer the T37 to the T34 Pete. The 37 is a much more spacious and comfortable boat down below. Okay, so likely to be older than a 34 but better in so many ways IMHO. Came very close to buying one ourselves. Only drawback was the very tight engine bay but then I think the 34 has the same issue.

I know Greg, Deleted User made the same observation. I don't like big cars either, perhaps I'm just weird!

petem

Call yourself Mr Fairline:)
Ooh it was a good one!:)
Don't think it was the one at Walton,I've never seen that move!
Was a Fairline Targa called Two Rebels for sale at Essex Boatyards a while back.

I know, piss poor of me not to have known about this! Thankfully I have Jez and you lot to put me straight!

By all accounts, the Targa "Two Rebels" that was involved suffered little damage. The T37 that we viewed certainly gave the impression of a sturdy / solid boat that would happily ride up a soft river bank with little damage (not that I'd recommend it).

petem

Having run out of cheaper T34's to view I've decided that a change in direction may be apprpriate. Considering the comments that JFM made (a boat should be considered a party platform) and Hurricane (sports cruisers = camping) and also Portofino's and others views on outdrives I'm wondering if a flybridge on shafts might be a better bet for me. I think we'd enjoy the space and I believe that shafts will reduce annual servicing costs and the risk of costly repairs.

My budget remains in the £60-65k range (fully working and in the Western Med) and I'm really after a post 2000 boat and something about 36-38 feet on length. I can't stretch to a Phantom 38 nor an Sealine F37. A Jeanneau Prestige 36 would appear to fit the bill and perhaps doable for my budget. Anyone know of any Prestige 36's going cheap or any other suggestions?

vas

Visit site
good to see that frequenting the forum can bring sense to ppls minds :p
I think you wont regret going for a f/b in the med
[ducking for cover]

V.

jfm

Visit site
Good thinking Pete!
Party platform. It's about the boating as much as the boat
Yep Jez knows the market segment very well
Eyes peeled

MapisM

Visit site
I think you wont regret going for a f/b in the med
I believe he won't regret the choice, period.
I can't think of any places on earth where a f/b on shafts isn't much better than an open boat on outdrives!

Just a small hint to petem: in IT, they introduced a boat tax some years ago, afterwards reduced, but still valid for anything above 14m LOA.
That wouldn't affect you, as a non-IT citizen, but it's worth considering because you might find a better deal on a 14.1 m boat than on say a 12 or 13m boat, AOTBE.
And with a very minor increase in running costs, you could enjoy a larger boat.
Just a thought, anyway. All the best for your search! :encouragement:

Nautorius

Visit site
Having run out of cheaper T34's to view I've decided that a change in direction may be apprpriate. Considering the comments that JFM made (a boat should be considered a party platform) and Hurricane (sports cruisers = camping) and also Portofino's and others views on outdrives I'm wondering if a flybridge on shafts might be a better bet for me. I think we'd enjoy the space and I believe that shafts will reduce annual servicing costs and the risk of costly repairs.

My budget remains in the £60-65k range (fully working and in the Western Med) and I'm really after a post 2000 boat and something about 36-38 feet on length. I can't stretch to a Phantom 38 nor an Sealine F37. A Jeanneau Prestige 36 would appear to fit the bill and perhaps doable for my budget. Anyone know of any Prestige 36's going cheap or any other suggestions?

Sealine F43 in Gib for £68k with Boatshed. 2000 boat. Boat actually ok just needs tlc and a good clean.

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Sealine F43 in Gib for £68k with Boatshed. 2000 boat. Boat actually ok just needs tlc and a good clean.

I'm a big fan of the F43 generally, but prefer a standard aft cockpit in the med, just because you spend more time outside, and walk between the cockpit and bathing platform far more often. You also need lots of laz space for the toys.

petem

I'm a big fan of the F43 generally, but prefer a standard aft cockpit in the med, just because you spend more time outside, and walk between the cockpit and bathing platform far more often. You also need lots of laz space for the toys.

It's cockpit lunches in the shade and on a single level thats part of the F/B attraction for me. On the subject of such things, does anyone have a Prestige 36? Is there a cockpit table or do you have a folding teak one or something like that?

Can anyone recall if MBM or YBW did a review of the Prestige 36? (suble hint ;))!