Time for me to get another boat!

itspaul

Visit site
I have bee reading this thread with interest we are of this Wednesday to Majorca for a few days with the intention to purchase a boat we have various boats to view including t37 t40 Gobbi 425 princess v40 we already have a berth reserved which will be ok for all apart from the Gobbi but they seem flexible as we previously owned a berth there for 10 yrs we had all but done a deal on a boat but the rug was pulled from under us a few weeks ago ( that episode will req a thread of its own as there is another member of this forum that has had experience of this broker ) you will see we are primarily looking at sports cruisers but if a nice f/b boat is within budget it will certainly be considered hopefully by this time next week we may be boat owners again will keep you informed.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Is that a different La Rochelle from the one on the Atlantic coast? :D

Next you'll be telling me that the Canary Islands aren't in the Med either! Seriously, the Med reference is due to moving it there not buying it there.

I do have dilemna, do I consider a consider a certain Kiddermister built 34 footer that was a direct competitor to the T34? It's a slower boat but the cheaper to maintain KAD32's have some appeal to me. And the later boats with the blue hull and less chintzy interiors look OK IMO.

MapisM

Visit site
I didn't like the Cranchi at all.
P, out of curiosity, didn't you like the specific Z34 you looked at for some reasons (poorly maintained, in need of works, whatever), or the model in general?
In terms of features/functionalities/layout/performance, I struggle to think of two boats more similar than the Zaffiro and the Targa, in the 34' segment, so I can't see why anyone liking one of them could not like the other "at all"...

julians

Visit site
I do have dilemna, do I consider a consider a certain Kiddermister built 34 footer that was a direct competitor to the T34?

The kidderminster 34 footer is not just slower, but handles like a bus. We owned one for a few years, there was really no 'fun' to be had from the driving experience side of it. The flip side is that it does have good accomodation for its length, but on the whole I really didnt like ours.

petem

The kidderminster 34 footer is not just slower, but handles like a bus. We owned one for a few years, there was really no 'fun' to be had from the driving experience side of it. The flip side is that it does have good accomodation for its length, but on the whole I really didnt like ours.

Hhhmmmm, I thought that might be the case and another forumite made a similar comment to me the other day following a sea trial of one. Portofino 35 would be a good alternative but too much ££££ for me.

benjenbav

Visit site

To my mind the F/L T34 is a much more handsome boat. But would bow to others' knowledge as to handling, accommodation and running costs.

jfm

Visit site
I see all those points on t34 v Kidderminster, but I'd also chip in pete that in the med the most important aspect of a boat and the best fun is when it is stopped. "Handling" is all a bit irrelevant imho. You'll put it on a/pilot and arrive in Soller 4 hours later. So personally I'd think it is worth having a boat that handles like a bus (arguably I already do) if you care about the huge playing and party platform that you might get with the package.

It is a personal choice thing but I'm just chucking in the argument for buying the bus

petem

I see all those points on t34 v Kidderminster, but I'd also chip in pete that in the med the most important aspect of a boat and the best fun is when it is stopped. "Handling" is all a bit irrelevant imho. You'll put it on a/pilot and arrive in Soller 4 hours later. So personally I'd think it is worth having a boat that handles like a bus (arguably I already do) if you care about the huge playing and party platform that you might get with the package.

It is a personal choice thing but I'm just chucking in the argument for buying the bus

That's a good point. Whilst it's fun to whizz around at 40 knots for 10 mins or so I'm too mean to spend a lot of time above cruising speed. And other than cruising over to Soller I believe a lot of the SCM 'action' (for want of a better word) is pootling over to the nearby lagoon. And as anyone who knows me will testify, I spend most of my holiday time asleep anyway!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

In terms of features/functionalities/layout/performance, I struggle to think of two boats more similar than the Zaffiro and the Targa, in the 34' segment, so I can't see why anyone liking one of them could not like the other "at all"...

Yeah you're right but I understand how Pete might feel. I looked at a Cranchi model (48 flybridge actually) and it didn't 'float my boat' either. First there's the name; sorry but Cranchi doesn't sound good in English (but then again Wally boats seem to sell so what do we know)! I actually went to the Cranchi factory in San Giorgio di Nogaro and it was a very impressive installation with state of the art manufacturing and testing facilities. But that modern production capability seems to be reflected in the styling of the boats themselves which look a bit production built rather than hand built. The Cranchi interiors at the time were also quite minimalist in the Italian style with little timberwork and a lot of exposed grp. Also the grp mouldings in some areas looked a bit minimalist too (the beak over the anchor for example)

Now I know that Cranchis are actually good boats and well thought of in Italy but Fairline at the time had a knack of making their boats look a bit luxurious and higher quality although in all probability there wouldn't have been much difference in actual quality between the two. Maybe this is the feeling Pete has

benjenbav

Visit site
Do you think if I wrapped the hull in Navy anyone would notice that it came from Kidderminster and not Oundle?

I'm living proof of this. I came from Kidderminster and, when I reached man's estate, I put on a blue suit and now no-one can tell.

petem

Yeah you're right but I understand how Pete might feel. I looked at a Cranchi model (48 flybridge actually) and it didn't 'float my boat' either. First there's the name; sorry but Cranchi doesn't sound good in English (but then again Wally boats seem to sell so what do we know)! I actually went to the Cranchi factory in San Giorgio di Nogaro and it was a very impressive installation with state of the art manufacturing and testing facilities. But that modern production capability seems to be reflected in the styling of the boats themselves which look a bit production built rather than hand built. The Cranchi interiors at the time were also quite minimalist in the Italian style with little timberwork and a lot of exposed grp. Also the grp mouldings in some areas looked a bit minimalist too (the beak over the anchor for example)

Now I know that Cranchis are actually good boats and well thought of in Italy but Fairline at the time had a knack of making their boats look a bit luxurious and higher quality although in all probability there wouldn't have been much difference in actual quality between the two. Maybe this is the feeling Pete has

I'd composed this earlier but hadn't posted it yet...... The cockpit and deck just felt like acres of white / GRP, and what detailing there was was rather bland. Down below I didn't find the kitchen arrangement particularly attractive and didn't like the woodwork / veneers either. It wasn't helped by the fact that the one I viewed was full of the owner's stuff and was left to open to the elements with no covers on. Despite the above it is a beamier boat than the T34. If it had been considerably cheaper than a T34 I might have been interested but this example was no cheaper.

Mike, your comments are spot on. It just feels like the Fairline designers put a lot more effort into the design, particuarly the details. Whereas the Cranchi had some rubbishy bits like the bathing platform that looks like its been bolted on.

petem

On the subject of Kidderminster S34's do the panel think that the slower KAD32's are acceptable motors? Normally I'd avoid anything but the largest engines available for any sportscruiser but in this case I think theyr'e OK due to simplicity of them and the comparatively lower running costs (no tappet services).

Hurricane

Visit site

Or, perhaps a "Double Decker Bus" i.e. a Flybridge!!

CLB

Visit site
You do know that the KAD32 has tappets to service don't you?

I think the bus comments probably relate to power rather than hull. Having been on boats boats I think there is not a great deal between them if you compare like for like.