Time for me to get another boat!

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Ops, I swallow my previous post. :rolleyes:
Though as much as I think the Az39 is one of the best boats in her segment, I struggle to think of anything special in her hull.
Probably they just got the combo of hull, weights distribution and power very well matched...

Yes, I imagine that's the case (no snake oil involved). From what I can recall the V39 is the same - goes faster or uses less fuel than it should (compared to competitors).

Perhaps there's an article idea for YBW there (i.e. boats that have this trait / quality) and investigating why this is the case?

jfm

Visit site
Though as much as I think the Az39 is one of the best boats in her segment, I struggle to think of anything special in her hull.
Probably they just got the combo of hull, weights distribution and power very well matched...
All agreed. They perhaps just got a lucky alignment of enough stars to get (iirc) a result 15% better than you would expect. That aside, it is a very nice boat and to my eye at least the styling is very sharp and up-to-date

DougH

Visit site
Didn't those Azi's have a hull that seemed to defy physics and gave a higher MPG than would have been expected or am I thinking of some other boat? Need to dig out my old copies of YBW.

How far's the lagoon ;)?

Maybe they used VW software in the engine displays.:D

petem

Didn't you bring an old Fairline to one of the Mercury meets? I recall all taking boats to Newtown creek in the rain, I went back to Hamble, was feeling a little unwell following a night with TCM and Stingo.

Close! I was on board "Sandra's" ("lanason") red Fairline holiday. And we broke down in the middle of the Solent if you remember!

rafiki_

Visit site
You're remembering correctly. The fuel burn figures on the yellow-engined Azi 39 in the MBY test about 10 years ago were stunningly good. Dig out the magazine - I am talking here only from 10 year memory. MBY loved the boat
Have to agree. Rafiki uses less than I had anticipated, gives a lovely soft ride, and still ticks all my boxes. As JFM says, styling still contemporary, and I get a nice warm glow every time we walk up to her.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

You're remembering correctly. The fuel burn figures on the yellow-engined Azi 39 in the MBY test about 10 years ago were stunningly good. Dig out the magazine - I am talking here only from 10 year memory. MBY loved the boat
Yup you're right and for some reason the AZ42 also exhibited similarly economical fuel consumption figures in its MBY test. Seems like Azimut hit the sweet spot with these 2 designs

petem

Time for another update (although this is a bit of a non update TBH). Have had a few suggestions from Jez...

Deleted User and JTB loved this one and I'm sure lots of you guys will too. Jez admitted that he would have proper "Azimut envy" if I bought it. A beautiful boat (if a little high on hours) and a lot of bang for your buck but just too big (i.e. expensive to run) for me...

http://www.inautia.com/used-boat-35...BV-2016-01-26&utm_content=barcoNuevaInsercion

They thought this could be my dream boat but I think I prefer the Azi 39...

http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/1244177/?searchid=11187780&page=6

And this seems to be great VFM too, although again I think I prefer the Azi...

http://www.inautia.com/used-boat-41...asBV-2016-01-21&utm_content=barcoBajadaPrecio

So having got Christmas and the refurbishment of a flat that I bought out of the way I'm just waiting for SWMBO to recover from a recent Op before we go looking for boats again (I'd actually quite like to make this an enjoyable experience). I'm not in any rush though as used prices are only going in one direction even if the pound weakening a has impacted me a bit. Anyhow, last year was a bit of an "annus horribilis" so I'm quite enjoying the family not being in turmoil for a change.

In the mean time, if you guys can keep your eyes peeled for cheap Prestige 36 and Azi 39's I'd be very grateful.

Pete

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
Deleted User and JTB loved this one and I'm sure lots of you guys will too.
Indeed.
Waddumean by high hours? I can't see that mentioned in the ad, but since I see a couple of yellow 3208 in the pics, you can only start talking of high hours when it takes 5 digits to count them.
Lovely boat, and she's a 46 btw, not a 460 which is actually a tad smaller.
Not to mention that in the 460 they left the internal hatch to the f/b, but they got rid of the stair - God only knows what were they thinking.
And I don't think the running costs difference between a 40 and a 46 is so relevant, while the liveability surely is.
Go for her, life's too short! :cool:

petem

P, I knew you would like it, JFM and others will too no doubt. Deleted User had a similar observation....

Actually she’s a 46 not a 460 which makes her an even nicer boat. The 460 was a development of the 43 so actually the 46 is larger than a 460.

Hours 2500 so has had some healthy use over the years (or chartered).

MapisM

Visit site
You might wish to cross-check that with LS1 or our other resident engine gurus, but my guess is that if those Cat 3208 have been used and maintained properly, they made less than a quarter of their road to a major overhaul.

petem

Not much to report on the boat buying front I'm afraid.

One possibility I am considering is shared ownership so if anyone is interested in a half share of an AZ39 or similar then let me know. Probably looking to spend in the region of £40k each with a view to keeping it in SCM for year one and perhaps SofF or Baldricks after that if a berth can be found at a reasonable price. I'd hope that we could maintain the boat to a high standard and keep shared running costs at an affordable level.

petem

Not much to report on the boat buying front I'm afraid.

One possibility I am considering is shared ownership so if anyone is interested in a half share of an AZ39 or similar then let me know. Probably looking to spend in the region of £40k each with a view to keeping it in SCM for year one and perhaps SofF or Baldricks after that if a berth can be found at a reasonable price. I'd hope that we could maintain the boat to a high standard and keep shared running costs at an affordable level.

No takers then for this "once in a lifetime" opportunity :)?

petem

No progress to report I'm afraid.

On the topic of boat sharing, would it be feasible to find a boat sharing partner before purchasing a boat or would it be easier for me to buy a boat first then look for a partner(s)? Also what would be the likely running cost for a Az39? Would the following be near the mark?

Berth (SCM) £3000 p.a.
Servicing (on shafts) £1500 p.a.
Insurance £1000 p.a.
Antifouling / polishing / cleaning / lifts and scrubs £2000 p.a.
Repairs / contingency £2000 p.a.
Laundry £500 p.a.
Total £10,000 p.a.

Feels like £10k should cover it. Split two ways not much more than the price of a decent holiday.

Anyone know what the market's like in the western Med at the moment. Are boats moving?

Pete

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Feels like £10k should cover it
Feels bit light to me, Pete. IMHO £2000 isn't enough for repairs and contingency. Thats not going to cover any major unexpected repairs nor inevitable upgrades like, for example, new exterior upholstery. I reckon antifouling/polishing/cleaning etc will be more than that too. I would allocate £4k for the former and £3k for the latter

rafiki_

Visit site
No progress to report I'm afraid.

On the topic of boat sharing, would it be feasible to find a boat sharing partner before purchasing a boat or would it be easier for me to buy a boat first then look for a partner(s)? Also what would be the likely running cost for a Az39? Would the following be near the mark?

Berth (SCM) £3000 p.a.
Servicing (on shafts) £1500 p.a.
Insurance £1000 p.a.
Antifouling / polishing / cleaning / lifts and scrubs £2000 p.a.
Repairs / contingency £2000 p.a.
Laundry £500 p.a.
Total £10,000 p.a.

Feels like £10k should cover it. Split two ways not much more than the price of a decent holiday.

Anyone know what the market's like in the western Med at the moment. Are boats moving?

Pete

Pete, we are back from hols now, and will be on Rafiki in the next week or so. Happy to discuss what she costs us when we meet up.