Time for me to get another boat!

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I think the idea is you can move the saloon table into the cockpit for such eventualities.

If that annoys you (and I have a feeling it might) then its not big job to have one made

Tee hee. You've got me sussed already - it would annoy me, I don't put my dining table in the garden! Anyhow as I have your attention Jez, I think I saw a Prestige 36 advertised as a 3 cabin version. How does that work?

Azi 39 another option possibly?

Hurricane

Visit site
I'm a big fan of the F43 generally, but prefer a standard aft cockpit in the med, just because you spend more time outside, and walk between the cockpit and bathing platform far more often. You also need lots of laz space for the toys.

Yep agreed but everything in boating is a compromise.
The F43 does, indeed, have a bit of a problem with the cockpit at a different level to the saloon.
But in doing so, it creates a really comfortable aft cabin thus avoiding the "slap and tickle" that you sometimes get in the forward cabin.
The aft cabin is one of those Sealine clever designs that really makes the F43 a comfortable boat.
IMO, just add A/C and the F43 is an excellent boat for the Med.

Whitelighter

Visit site

Now that is a quality Machine :cool:

I did show pete a 1998 Ferretti 120 over Christmas but he was still in targa mode.

Pete, a 3 cabin P36 is a mistake - I suspect they mean the saloon has a convertible berth.

Id be looking at:

Prestige 36
Rodman 38 (as already mentioned)
Azimut 39/42 (though not the 42 in East Italy)
Phantom 38 (they come up occasionally at your budget)
Astondoa 1150/1250 (Spanish so lots in Barcelona and quite nice)
Anatres 11/36 and perhaps the 12 but youd be lucky/ Don't bother with the 1080, its too fishery.

jfm

Visit site
Azi39 would be excellent. Loads for sale so its a race to the bottom on pricing. This http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2000/Azimut-39-Fly-2788406/Valencia/Spain#.Vpas66-9TIV might come down to your budget but just bid on all 3 or 4 that are within 500nm of Spain and tell brokers the first one to say yes gets the £65k

IIRC prestige 36 is cored below w/line without vacuum bagging to bond the core's blind side, so check/survey it to death

Last edited:

John100156

Visit site
Pete, as you know I moved from a T34 to an F43 in SCM and I have no regrets. I ran it around with Hurricane in 2011. Definitely worth looking at one, there's a couple now in our marina.

I miss the fun a T34 gives, its a great boat, but the space you get on an F43 f/b boat provides far greater benefits particularly in the Med and makes for an easier crossing when popping over to the islands.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I'm wondering if a flybridge on shafts might be a better bet for me.
I've always believed a flybridge boat is better for the Med because apart from being a boat it's also your villa in the sun so space is important. Apart from that a flybridge boat gives you 2 essential options, hide in the shade of the cockpit or get max sun/breeze on the flybridge. If you can find a AZ39 in your price range in the Med that would be an excellent choice

Btw how is the recent dive in Sterling affected this?

petem

Azi39 would be excellent. Loads for sale so its a race to the bottom on pricing. This http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2000/Azimut-39-Fly-2788406/Valencia/Spain#.Vpas66-9TIV might come down to your budget but just bid on all 3 or 4 that are within 500nm of Spain and tell brokers the first one to say yes gets the £65k

IIRC prestige 36 is cored below w/line without vacuum bagging to bond the core's blind side, so check/survey it to death

Yellow engines too, yummy!

MapisM

Visit site
Yellow engines too, yummy!
As long as you don't ask LS1 about them, that is. He doesn't hold in huge esteem the 3116... :rolleyes:
Though the only problem I had so far with mine was the need to refurbish the raw water pumps, which are indeed a weak spot - but no big deal, in the great scheme.
And I must second jfm, anyway: the Az 39 is a great boat indeed. :encouragement:

petem

That AZ39 also has A/C and a Genny so no doubt would have been a costly boat in its day and will surely have virtually bottomed out on the depreciation front.

I've never taken much notice of inboard (shaft) engines but would it eradicate the 'Green' engine issues around exhaust elbows, superchargers, etc (as well as the shaftdrive ones)? Fuel economy won't be great but it would be a good pootler I imagine.

petem

You'd get a mile per gallon on the plane.

Probably double that for pooling at a comfortable speed. But more if you ran at true displacement

Didn't those Azi's have a hull that seemed to defy physics and gave a higher MPG than would have been expected or am I thinking of some other boat? Need to dig out my old copies of YBW.

How far's the lagoon ;)?

MapisM

Visit site
Didn't those Azi's have a hull that seemed to defy physics and gave a higher MPG than would have been expected or am I thinking of some other boat?
You're rather thinking of a boat that is still to be invented, methink... :D

jfm

Visit site
Didn't those Azi's have a hull that seemed to defy physics and gave a higher MPG than would have been expected or am I thinking of some other boat? Need to dig out my old copies of YBW.

How far's the lagoon ;)?
You're remembering correctly. The fuel burn figures on the yellow-engined Azi 39 in the MBY test about 10 years ago were stunningly good. Dig out the magazine - I am talking here only from 10 year memory. MBY loved the boat

MapisM

Visit site
Ops, I swallow my previous post. :rolleyes:
Though as much as I think the Az39 is one of the best boats in her segment, I struggle to think of anything special in her hull.
Probably they just got the combo of hull, weights distribution and power very well matched...