Boat Ownership Overseas

Metalicmike

Visit site
There are others as well and the ones I know are residents. whether they are operating legally or not I have no idea, I do know that the government has been looking at holiday lets because a lot have been operating outside of the Spanish tax system and now the police are suppose to be given details of holiday makers before they arrive. Do not rely on a so called legal expert here because they are very happy to offer services and take your money as you will still be responsible. Secondly if you are renting a boat then the regulations regarding equipment on board, insurance and licensing will be more stringent and my guess is that most of these renters are flying under the radar. So do it at your own risk you will probably stay under the radar like every one else. I am not an expert on this subject and there are probably very few that are.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Hi,

I'm not looking for VAT or length of stay advice, that has been well discussed.

I am considering buying a boat in the canary islands as a bolt hole which you can sail. I'd plan to be there 6-8 weeks of the year, mostly in the 7 months of winter (October to April). Rubicon in Lanzarote seems to be a great sheltered option. Tell me what is wrong with this idea and why more people don't do it ? Also, what to do with the boat the rest of the time? Do I just put it on the hard or perhaps air b&b with help of a local?

Thoughts and critique welcome.

Thanks
It UK flagged it might need to be MCA coded even if it is not going to move.
I say might, because the categories 4,5,6 say during daylight hours only. Presumably during night time hours the boat is in a "safe haven" such as a marina.

Therefore if it stays in a marina, may be it does not need to be coded at all???

Metalicmike

Visit site
I have friends in Amarilla golf whom work full time and fly over for long weekends and holidays and pay annually for the mooring, they moved from Lanzarote here because TFS airport was a lot more convenient. Unfortunately there is no long term hard standing here only an area for maintenance. There is a low cost car rental for as little as 140 euro a week including insurance. I pay 3800 euro for a finger pontoon 10mx3.4m that is paying in advance getting a 15% Discount. Water and 16amp Electric is included.

ridgy

Visit site
You could get a share in a boat. Not many in the canaries but I have seen a couple. You would need demonstrable sailing experience though. Ask at yachtfractions.co.uk, they will know some groups there.