Throttle position on sailing yachts

johnalison

Visit site
It’s a long time ago and my memory of it is a bit hazy, but I’m fairly sure that the start button and throttle in my Mystere was inside the rear cockpit locker. The throttle was a simple lever a bit like that on some mowers, and a little rod to move back or forth to make the Dolphin engine go forwards or backwards. I think the designer thought he had designed a sailing boat.

Refueler

Visit site
It’s a long time ago and my memory of it is a bit hazy, but I’m fairly sure that the start button and throttle in my Mystere was inside the rear cockpit locker. The throttle was a simple lever a bit like that on some mowers, and a little rod to move back or forth to make the Dolphin engine go forwards or backwards. I think the designer thought he had designed a sailing boat.

Was that the Dolphin that you could run engine both rotations ? Stop it and restart other direction etc ? I have this strange recollection of an engine like that .. and Dolphin sounds familiar

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Mine is low down on the side of the well of the cockpit. It would be more convenient to have it within easier reach when standing to see over the cabin roof, but where could it go? My boat is tiller steered, so there is no console on which to mount it, and what is convenient when on one side of the cockpit is inconvenient on the other! Where it is is well out of the way of sheets; moving it to (say) the cockpit coaming would a) be uncomfortable for anyone sitting and b) catch jib sheets. I did once look into remote control solutions, but backed off very quickly when I realized that a) all such systems are intended for full integration with engine electronics and b) would cost nearly as much as my boat! If someone marketed a simple replacement for the usual Morse control that allowed remote operation, that would be a perfect solution.
Thinking aloud, I wonder if a 12V linear actuator operating the Morse control could be linked up to a remote control? It doesn't even have to be wireless. It'd need some means of ensuring it could return to the neutral position. The actuator would have to be fairly fast acting.

Refueler

Visit site
Thinking aloud, I wonder if a 12V linear actuator operating the Morse control could be linked up to a remote control? It doesn't even have to be wireless. It'd need some means of ensuring it could return to the neutral position. The actuator would have to be fairly fast acting.

As an RC enthusiast .. I know of servos and gear that could do the job ... giving you a hand held cable or wireless setup. You would be surprised at the torque figures of todays servos ..... But is it really needed ?

The best remote I have is the Autohelm .... so handy when at mast ... but engine control ?

dansaskip

seabear.uk
Like others have said on older boats it is mounted so as to give a good run between the engine and morse lever. Mine is mounted like many others on the side of the cockpit well. I find it quite easy to control with a foot even when I am standing on the cockpit side bench which I do to get a better view for manouvering. No need for bending down and so losing sight of things. In similar vein I also steer with a foot on the tiller.

capnsensible

Visit site
Thinks wot I have learnt.

Never use your foot on a throttle control. OK until one day it isn't. Typically when raining.

Never put your arm through a wheel to operate a throttle. Especially when going astern. Metal beats bone.

Never sit down whilst maneuvering in harbours.

There is no need to stand rigidly in one spot. Moving around gives you good views and easy throttle control.

All of the above work for me.....

flaming

Visit site
Never sit down whilst maneuvering in harbours.

This one I disagree with. Sitting is by far and away my preferred option. When seated I can reach the throttle without taking my eyes off what's going on in front of me. If I was standing I'd have to bend over the reach the throttle and take my eyes off what's happening.

capnsensible

Visit site
This one I disagree with. Sitting is by far and away my preferred option. When seated I can reach the throttle without taking my eyes off what's going on in front of me. If I was standing I'd have to bend over the reach the throttle and take my eyes off what's happening.
Agree to disagree :)

Sat down you can't see what's going on anyway. Bending down to move throttle takes less time than it takes to say 'oh no, that's another gecoat repair, I wonder if my insurance will cover it?'

Perhaps you are very tall??

rogerthebodger

Visit site
When designing my boat I spent sone time in positioning most control devices like the throttle/gearbox position.

My boat had a reraised wheelhouse so the cockpit floor needs to be as a Hight do i can see the bow when maneuvering.

I do have a seat at a Hight so I can see over the wheelhouse but easy to stand up. My gear/throttle is on the steering support and the wheel is such that I can reach over to adjust the throttle

johnalison

Visit site
Was that the Dolphin that you could run engine both rotations ? Stop it and restart other direction etc ? I have this strange recollection of an engine like that .. and Dolphin sounds familiar
Yes indeed. There was a diesel option, but that would have been much heavier. The Dolphin was great fun, at least it was once I found spark plugs that would last long enough. As you say, the engine could be run in either direction, with some complicated 24v electrics to make it work. It was, though a very reliable starter and I would take great delight in approaching a berth and watching the alarm on the onlookers' faces as I threatened to annihilate them at some speed with what appeared to be a defunct engine before restarting in reverse. There was a centrifugal clutch, and you could hand-start by winding a cord round the clutch and leading it forward over the engine. Shopping for petrol was a great nuisance though.

capnsensible

Visit site
Yes indeed. There was a diesel option, but that would have been much heavier. The Dolphin was great fun, at least it was once I found spark plugs that would last long enough. As you say, the engine could be run in either direction, with some complicated 24v electrics to make it work. It was, though a very reliable starter and I would take great delight in approaching a berth and watching the alarm on the onlookers' faces as I threatened to annihilate them at some speed with what appeared to be a defunct engine before restarting in reverse. There was a centrifugal clutch, and you could hand-start by winding a cord round the clutch and leading it forward over the engine. Shopping for petrol was a great nuisance though.
I did a seasons racing on a friends quarter tonner in the Solent many tides ago. The yacht had one of those drives. We used to sail it as close as possible to the berth before putting the ehust fitting on, starting the engine and dropping sails....easy with a racing crew.

Mostly though, it was because every time you changed throttle direction, the engine would restart with a very loud bang. Which does tend to attract attention in a military port....

14K478

Visit site
I completely agree with Captain Sensible’s post #26. Stand up, reach over the wheel and always remember that the boat will snatch it out of your hands going astern unless you are very careful!

dunedin

Visit site
Engine controls are the one big issue with most twin wheel boats - as tend to be at one side only, and often low down.

Ours are on the starboard side, and engine kicks to starboard in reverse. So ideal for coming along starboard side to, as perfect visibility and kicks in when stopping.

But a nightmare on port side, when can steer from port wheel for best visibility, but then can’t stop!
A servo control by both wheels would be ideal, but the official ones are several thousand quid.

dunedin

Visit site
Practice, practice, practice! :)
I get plenty of practice thanks (done over a 100 days cruising this year alone). But parking is easy on a school boat with 6 crew to assist.
More tricky to park single handed port side to with controls only at starboard side - rely on dropping mid spring loop over end cleat of pontoon on the port side. So need to stop close enough (with boat kicking to starboard) and then get over to the port side to loop the rope on the cleat, before any wind or tide moves boat off, then winch up the slack to the right distance, then back to starboard to motor forward and put helm on.
Controls on both sides would help a lot.

davidmh

Visit site
On an old Trapper 500 the engine control was low down on the side of the cockpit well. The lever was a round rod with a ball screwed on the end, I replaced the ball with a wooden sleeve that fitted the inside of the bilge pump handle. When i needed easier control for single handed docked I just pushed the bilge pump handle onto the wooden sleeve, and handle was high enough to use and see the dock.
David MH

johnalison

Visit site
Tiller has pinned me more than once !! You'd think I'd learn first time ...
When I had a 22' Cirrus the pressure on the helm wasn't anything to worry about. Our next boat was a Mystere with a wheel and light to steer, but when we bought a new Sadler 29 the agent gave us several bits of good advice, one of which was always to stand astride the tiller when going astern, and, with my current 34, this is something I have stuck to ever since, facing forwards and steering with my knees while twisting to look both ahead and astern.