Throttle position on sailing yachts

Refueler

Visit site
When I had a 22' Cirrus the pressure on the helm wasn't anything to worry about. Our next boat was a Mystere with a wheel and light to steer, but when we bought a new Sadler 29 the agent gave us several bits of good advice, one of which was always to stand astride the tiller when going astern, and, with my current 34, this is something I have stuck to ever since, facing forwards and steering with my knees while twisting to look both ahead and astern.

Take my word for it ... you do not want my SR25 tiller between your knees going astern if she decides to bang that tiller over !! It really is a gently gently affair as the rudder is a barn door affair ..... it may not be big but it has no counter to it ..

knW6Xy7l.jpg

My 38ftr is less vicious than it !!

capnsensible

Visit site
I get plenty of practice thanks (done over a 100 days cruising this year alone). But parking is easy on a school boat with 6 crew to assist.
More tricky to park single handed port side to with controls only at starboard side - rely on dropping mid spring loop over end cleat of pontoon on the port side. So need to stop close enough (with boat kicking to starboard) and then get over to the port side to loop the rope on the cleat, before any wind or tide moves boat off, then winch up the slack to the right distance, then back to starboard to motor forward and put helm on.
Controls on both sides would help a lot.
What school boat has 6 crew????? :eek:

I sail a lot of boats with 2 people. The Sigma 33 I'm on a lot has throttle on starboard side low down and berth is port side to. Normally very straightforward even if its just me and some non sailors. But then I practice a lot.....

johnalison

Visit site
Take my word for it ... you do not want my SR25 tiller between your knees going astern if she decides to bang that tiller over !! It really is a gently gently affair as the rudder is a barn door affair ..... it may not be big but it has no counter to it ..

knW6Xy7l.jpg

My 38ftr is less vicious than it !!
For heaven’s sake, you’ve got a throttle. Just go a bit slower!

Refueler

Visit site
For heaven’s sake, you’ve got a throttle. Just go a bit slower!

Oh Dear ... ease up there ....

Of course .. read the post - it says gently gently ....

But note : My 25ftr has 43HP Perkins 4-107 with huge prop ... and there are times when things happen and you hit throttle ... a bit too much !! As they say Sh** happens ....

capnsensible

Visit site
5 other students?
5 students, one coach.....who is the other? The butler? :D

It's ages since i had more than 3 or 4 makee lernees.

I've often had 12 slightly drunk people and my super skilled. wonder crew girl though.

Or me and Mrs S in some far away sandy sunny anchorage with me as the anchor windlass.

Practice, practice, practice. :cool: